Introducing new proteins

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my little Charli is a bit difficult getting her to try new proteins.  First she was stuck on chicken and would eat also some turkey.  I would try rabbit, and she wanted nothing to do with it.  Now she's hung up on rabbit and doesn't even want her chicken.  I have just purchased some pheasant and some duck, in hopes I can sneak it in to get her to try it.  Anyone else have trouble getting their furbaby to eat more variety?  Forget beef, that's just out of the question, she wants nothing at all to do with that.   She does have her organs, liver bone, etc, as part of her meals, so she gets everything she needs, and I do supplement with Alnutrin.    I had posted elsewhere how she loved loved her chicken necks..now as of this week she will eat a couple bites of that and that's it.  Tonight she was hungry, and I was able to mix enough rabbit into her chicken so that she ate it, after she spent a whole lot of time trying to pick out the rabbit, but after I went over there twice and mixed it with a fork, she finally just ate it... little stinker... 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try the transition ing techniques--put a little of the new food with the old. Have you tried different types of cuts of protein, like thigh vs breast, or veal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not yet tried veal, but she definitely prefers (or should I say "preferred"...lol)  thighs and dark meat vs. breast when it comes to chicken and turkey.  Right now she wants only her rabbit.  This morning for breakfast while she was nice and hungry I tried putting some chicken in her rabbit, that was a big no.  But I think the mistake I made was I mixed it. I ended up caving and giving her just her rabbit, which she then cleaned her dish.  I'm going to try just putting a bit next to her rabbit in the same dish, so she smells the chicken while she eats the rabbit.  At one point she wanted nothing to do with rabbit and would only eat chicken, then out of the blue one day she gobbled it, and now doesn't want chicken...go figure.  I've been ordering from Hare Today, because I can't get certain things locally, tough to find a decent butcher these days and availability of certain meat cuts in grocery stores just doesn't exist around here.