Introducing New Kitty Patches To Household

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MOD NOTE: This thread was originally started in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Since there's a new kitty in the house, a new thread has been started about her integration. The original thread about losing Denver is here.

Thank you all! I do feel it's time. As I said, I just want to be sure it's not selfish of me. I have to do right by Denver even though he's gone. He gave me 13 years of nothing but the very best companionship imaginable.

In moving forward, does anyone on here know how to properly introduce a resident dog to a new cat? I did bring my dog to a local Petsmart today where he met the kitty I'm considering. He didn't pay any attention to her, which I think was a good sign, but he was visibly flustered over being in the store (he's not great in such environments), so I'm not confident it was a great test. My dog (Royce) was raised with Denver since 6 weeks of age, so he's used to the cat, but I'm just not certain if I can assume he's fine with cats, or if it's just Denver he was fine with. Although he was fine, 95% of the time with Denver, there was the every so often that he would get snarly with him. He never hurt the cat, but I need to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all! I do feel it's time. As I said, I just want to be sure it's not selfish of me. I have to do right by Denver even though he's gone. He gave me 13 years of nothing but the very best companionship imaginable.

In moving forward, does anyone on here know how to properly introduce a resident dog to a new cat? I did bring my dog to a local Petsmart today where he met the kitty I'm considering. He didn't pay any attention to her, which I think was a good sign, but he was visibly flustered over being in the store (he's not great in such environments), so I'm not confident it was a great test. My dog (Royce) was raised with Denver since 6 weeks of age, so he's used to the cat, but I'm just not certain if I can assume he's fine with cats, or if it's just Denver he was fine with. Although he was fine, 95% of the time with Denver, there was the every so often that he would get snarly with him. He never hurt the cat, but I need to be safe.
You've been chosen by a tortie?? Lucky you!! Torties are fantastic. They are very special indeed. She will be running the household in no time. We have a great article here about introducing cats to dogs. How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was definitely chosen by a Tortie! I haven't committed to her yet, but I definitely think I'm going to, unless she's gone before I go back. I've done some research on this type of cat, and I'm a bit confused on one thing. Consistently, I've read that this is just a color pattern, and not an actual breed, yet at the same time, I have read all about different behaviors that they exhibit. I'm very confused on how a color pattern and not a specific breed can do this. But, I like her a lot and I think she is the one for me, and I am the one for her. Thank you for the link about the introduction. I will read it thoroughly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Denver was a beautiful boy! He left you his legacy of love and taught you what it was like to love another. He would be proud if you would honor his name by passing that legacy on to another.
The loneliness and emptiness we feel when our little ones leave us is soul crushing. I think you will find that having another little one in the house would be a welcome distraction from your grief and would help alleviate the pressing emptiness. Love develops over time, so even if your heart is in mourning, it will always make room for another.
You will always have Denver's love. Nothing can take that from you. The bond you developed will ensure the path he now follows will forever parallel your own. We have our past and our precious memories, but truly living is in the present. Let the sunshine back into your life by opening your heart to that little girl, and begin to make more memories to treasure. I wish you well, I know she will steal your heart.
RIP sweet Denver, May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I just wanted to comment here because I also lost my best friend 4 weeks ago to sudden heart failure (I posted a thread about it on these forums). I was utterly heart broken and depressed. I am still very sad and miss him dearly today. But I tried to do things to honour his memory because I knew that the only way to keep him alive was through my thoughts and actions in my own life. So I volunteered a few times at a local cat shelter. I realized that my time at the shelter with the cats was the only time of my day that I could be content and not deeply depressed. The cats made me feel more connected to him. It almost felt like only the cats understood the sorrow I was going through. I ended up adopting a new cat just 3 weeks after the passing of my boy. Sometimes when I am sad I talk to her about him.

Nothing will ever replace your cat. And I actually find it worse to say that you need to let time pass before you can love another. It's as if people think that time can take away the love you felt for him such that you can now give it to another. That could never happen. There isn't any amount of time that will make you forget what he meant to you. If anything, the bond you had with your cat was so great that you want to continue loving other cats. That's a really special thing.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much to everyone on here who helped me to come to the conclusion that it is, in fact ok to move forward with a new kitty. This evening, I did bring home the little Tortie girl I mentioned earlier in this thread. I'll post a picture once she settles in.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much to everyone on here who helped me to come to the conclusion that it is, in fact ok to move forward with a new kitty. This evening, I did bring home the little Tortie girl I mentioned earlier in this thread. I'll post a picture once she settles in.
YAY!! I can't wait to see pictures of her!!! :bliss:

Yes, tortie refers to coat pattern. They are almost always female. They are known to be quite sassy and they want everyone to know that they run the household. They are beautiful and so much fun to be around. Their sassiness is often referred to as "tortitude". You have been adopted by a very special girl indeed!! :jive:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, Denver was a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty. :hugs:

I understand about the 'never getting another cat' feeling. When I lost my baby girl of almost 18 years, I said the same thing. Three weeks later, we had not only one new SPCA rescue but two, boy and girl siblings.

So good of you to open your home and your heart to another kitty. :heartshape: Be sure to introduce yourself in our New Cats on the Block forum. :)

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind sentiments. I've heard of tortitude as I've read a bit about Torties. I'm just surprised that such characteristics are displayed by a coloration variety rather than a breed. To me, such things seem like it would make more sense to be associated with breed.

Unfortunately, my kitty is very scared, isn't coming out, and is backing away from me when I try to go to comfort her.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone is different, and every loss is different. There's no right or wrong answer - just what feels right for you. Congratulations on your new kitty! I think having a feline companion will bring comfort.

I think Denver would be happy to know you are giving another kitty a home and that you aren't without a cat friend.

(Your new cat being shy and scared is perfectly normal. She'll come out of her shell once she gets used to her new surroundings.)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you! Bringing home that scared little girl will help to heal your heart!
I really think the same combination of genes that make up the tortie coat pattern also have a special combination that brings on the attitude too. I have had several litters with only one tortie and those little girls were always sassy, bossing their little brothers around and they had a special 'prance' when they walked and played.
It will take several days for her to get used to all the changes, you both need each other right now. Give love a chance to grow!

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all! I sincerely appreciate all of the kind words.

One thing I'm concerned with is that I didn't get the chance to show Patches (my Tortie girl) her litter box. I attempted to, but before we got there (litter box is in the basement, and this happened near the bottom of the basement stairs), she jumped out of my arms, ran around the room, literally climbed the wall, bounced off of it, and then bolted upstairs, and wouldn't come out from under the kitchen table. I want to show her the box, but I don't want to disturb her, or scare her further. What do I do? Will she find the box on her own?

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, good news. Although she still spends a lot of time hiding, I was able to get Patches out several times today to get pets and rubs from me, and she ate, too. She even allowed me to carry her downstairs so I could show her the litter box. I'll watch her to be sure she's using the box, and comfortable with the stairs, but I definitely think progress is being made.