Introducing New Kitten To Single Resident Cat

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.... Looking for reassurance, I guess, or additional tips maybe??

Our resident female cat, Marbles, is 16 mos now and hasn't seen another cat since she was 9 weeks old.

Just adopted a chill little 6-mo-old male 5 days ago. He's barricaded in the living room out of sight. He's sweet and lovey and totally submissive to other cats. He came from a foster who had 4 or 5 other cats and played and got along with them all fine.

Marbles has been concerned about what is going on behind the barricade. We've done some scent-swapping with items back and forth. She sniffed the items with interest, without any negative reaction. I gave it 3 days before trying to have them eat on either side of the (covered) gate. Succeeded, last night. Each ate, no hissing.

Today we site-swapped them. He strolled around the room and was fine. Marbles sniffed around his room forever and was irritable when doing it- we tried 3x to pick her up and she hissed at us- she never does that- especially to me! Then we fed them on either side of the gate with a teeny sliver of space left open to see through. Marbles locked eyes with him and full-on hissed. Tried to poke her paw through the gate, but no arched back or ears back at least. She couldn't focus on eating. I had to move her dish back like 6 feet before she'd eat. And covered the gate back up.

She's now been irritable all day. She nips at us when we try to pet her much and she looks tense and won't settle.

I bought a Feliway diffuser just now. Just hoping that she will eventually calm down? Husband, who never wanted a 2nd cat- but gave in for me :) - although he loves this kitten, is really upset that Marbles is upset and grumpy. Foster told us to take 3-5 days to introduce them; he thinks I'm taking it too slowly. *I'm* afraid it will take forever!

Reassure me that first impression doesn't mean she'll never warm up to him and will be miserable forever?? I know it's usual for cats to be hissy and defensive at first, but I still am upset for our first baby... would love to hear anyone's experiences.

Thanks...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks-all of that is what we've been doing. Watched Jackson's Galaxy's video on introducing cats, too. Just kind of wondering how long is reasonable to expect it to take altogether... foster said 3-5 days... some articles say "a few weeks"

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The 3 to 5 days is very optimistic.

It's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions as every introduction is different. Watch the 'cues' and when you know it's safe to go on to the next stage, go ahead.

I've had cats that got on immediately (oh joy) and two that took months (sorry).
But if you go by the book, it will happen.:)

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Months! Months *separated* before you could bring them together? or just months til they finally got along, but they were living in the same space?

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For my guys, it was about two weeks for short supervised visits, six weeks until unsupervised togetherness (with lots of chasing wrestling and an occasional intervention). After six months, the chasing had died down and the interactions were more friendly (but not perfect). It has now been a year and they get on well but, I still have to step in once in a while and break up a wrestling match that has gone too far and the "resident" cat still doesn't like the "new" cat on the bed, but he will tolerate him there sometimes.

What seemed most important (from what I read) was that the initial interactions needed to be positive. So, typically short five minutes stares and sniffs. As soon as is starts to get tense, separate them.

Don't pay attention to the outliers - those who say it too only a day or two or those who said months and months - most of the time it seems like it takes about one to two months before the cats can be left alone together.

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. We have our whole living room blockaded for new kitten's room. No way can we keep that up for a month

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just take it one step at a time. If you start worrying about it your girl will pick up on it. I know it's really hard to see her angry with you, but she'll get over it, and she'll probably end up deciding it's a good thing to have another cat around.

The feliway could well help, and all the other things you've researched.

In my worse case it was a little over three weeks before I would let them be together in any way, and they still skirted around each other for another six or so weeks.

I know it sounds trite, but see if you can just take each day as it comes..
Honestly, they will get on. :)