Introducing new kitten to resident cats

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-hoping someone has some good advice for me. I brought home a 9 week old male kitten (L) to introduce to my 19 year old male (B) and 2 year old female (M). I had introduced the female to my older cat a year and a half ago, and that went quite well after 3 weeks of slow introduction. Truthfully, I was more worried about my 19 year old and the kitten. I figured the 2 year old would adjust quickly and love having someone to play with-just goes to show how strange cats can be! My older cat adjusted quickly after 2 weeks, and he and the kitten are getting along great! My 2 year old (M) quickly forgot that she had been in the same boat just a year and a half ago, and is not doing as well! I started off "scent swapping" from day 1, and that went fine. From there, I moved to swapping them out to check out each others' living areas. Then, I allowed them to view one another (only 1 resident cat at a time) through a glass door. I also brought L in in his carrier, and allowed the resident cats to sniff him. M hissed at the kitten and tried to swat whenever kitten was in the carrier-even if I covered it with a towel. A few times, she jumped up on top of the carrier-maybe a sign of dominance? Eventually, after a few weeks of this, I allowed them to meet, and M promptly chased after the kitten. The kitten would either run away and hide under the couch or become submissive (roll over). I thought things were going relatively well though b/c M never tried to hurt kitten. However, last night, I discovered that the kitten had been peeing and pooping in the laundry basket in the bathroom where he has his box. Based on what was in there, I think that this was a new development, though I can't be certain. He was also using his box as well. I do really think that M was stressing him out with all the chasing b/c I have also found him hanging out in the litter box a couple of times and have read that cats might do that when overwhelmed/stressed. So, I removed the laundry basked, and the kitten has been using his box. I also stopped any face to face interaction between the two and have only allowed them to view each other through the glass door that closes off my kitchen. I swap them back and forth all day, and M rarely leaves the door when the kitten is running around. She is definitely curious about him and wants to be in the room with him. My question is...is there anything more I should be doing? I guess I wrongly assumed the 2 year old would adapt very quickly, but I'm thinking she is just going to need a lot more time. I have also done some interactive play with the 2 of them when they were together-taking turns with the yarn on the wand, and that went well. There was also one instance where they were both sleeping in the same room (one on the bed, one on the chair) when I was in the room. I can't feed them on other sides of the door b/c the 2 year old is very non-motivated by food and eats very inconsistently. I guess I could try some treats though. I plan to eventually try face to face with 2 of us each holding one cat on our lap a few feet apart, though it's tough to hold the 2 year old for long! If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was M still hissing towards the end of it? It sounds like he was def stressed at the start and had some "get away this is my house!" type aggression. That is what I call it when they don't intend to kill/hurt, but just want the kitten gone so they swat it. But he might have moved to rough play if there was no hissing. The curiousity with no hissing sounds like a good sign.

Can't hurt to let the glass door go a bit longer in any event. 9 weeks is very young. Get away style aggression is not necessarily any great problem, and they can often get over that on their own with time, but if its terrifying the kitten, maybe some more days of introduction will help.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things will turn out well. I would just keep doing the slow introductions, wash your laundry basket with an enzyme cleaner & maybe add 2-3 more open litter boxes as your kitten adjusts (in the coming months you can subtract litter boxes one at a time.) Does your kitten have 2 litter boxes in his room? That may have been it. Cats like to pee in one box and poop in the other. Kittens are famous for litter box accidents, so it may not have been stress or the stress may have just been temporary. So it should bf fine, judt

Female cats tend to be more territorial so that may be a factor. I think you should let adult cats bop and pin kittens by their scruff, to their hearts content..... because it is how adult cats discipline bratty kittens. It doesn’t hurt them. If the kitten keeps on going back for more, everything is fine. As people said, as your kitten gets older, the size difference will even out quickly.

Be sure to love on her extra when the kitten is around. Also give all food and treats to the older cats first, then the kitten. This helps reassure your resident cats that their spot in the hierarchy has not been replaced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was M still hissing towards the end of it? It sounds like he was def stressed at the start and had some "get away this is my house!" type aggression. That is what I call it when they don't intend to kill/hurt, but just want the kitten gone so they swat it. But he might have moved to rough play if there was no hissing. The curiousity with no hissing sounds like a good sign.

Can't hurt to let the glass door go a bit longer in any event. 9 weeks is very young. Get away style aggression is not necessarily any great problem, and they can often get over that on their own with time, but if its terrifying the kitten, maybe some more days of introduction will help.
I'm trying to remember if M was still hissing? I believe she was-at least some of the time, though they did touch noses briefly at one point, so that was positive. I do think I'll continue swapping them out and using the glass door for a bit just to be sure, but I appreciate your positivity! Thank you!

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things will turn out well. I would just keep doing the slow introductions, wash your laundry basket with an enzyme cleaner & maybe add 2-3 more open litter boxes as your kitten adjusts (in the coming months you can subtract litter boxes one at a time.) Does your kitten have 2 litter boxes in his room? That may have been it. Cats like to pee in one box and poop in the other. Kittens are famous for litter box accidents, so it may not have been stress or the stress may have just been temporary. So it should bf fine, judt

Female cats tend to be more territorial so that may be a factor. I think you should let adult cats bop and pin kittens by their scruff, to their hearts content..... because it is how adult cats discipline bratty kittens. It doesn’t hurt them. If the kitten keeps on going back for more, everything is fine. As people said, as your kitten gets older, the size difference will even out quickly.

Be sure to love on her extra when the kitten is around. Also give all food and treats to the older cats first, then the kitten. This helps reassure your resident cats that their spot in the hierarchy has not been replaced.
There is only 1 litter box, and that is a good suggestion to increase. He seems to be OK now and using his box since I removed the laundry basket. It is funny how they tend to pee/poop in different boxes, isn't it?! They're just fascinating little creatures! I did not know that kittens have lots of litter box accidents, nor did I know that females are more territorial! I am making it a point to give the 2 year old extra love and attention and good idea with the treats/food going to her first. Hopefully, we will get there in time Thank you for your help!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my guy poops in one, pees in the other ..... and a few times a month switches which box he will use for poop. He is 4 years old. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Cats (not just kittens) find the soft fabric tempting to go in. Some people can’t leave any laundry out for their cat’s entire life. The reason I said open litter boxes (without lids) is some cats will bully or bug another cat as they use the box and a lid traps them or makes them feel trapped. So lidless might help avoid issues until all the cats get settled with each other. Heck the “kittens” grew up together and still will view litter box time as social time and an opportunity to sometimes bug each other. 🙄 So 4 years later, the litter boxes are without lids.

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is an open litter box that he's using. The problem seems to have resolved since I removed the laundry basket, but I never knew they go for that! I do think your idea of more than 1 box is a good one though. Thank you!