Introducing New Kitten To Resident Cat..the Next Step

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 6 month old very sweet and playful female cat.
I took the gradual steps to introduce her to my also playful but bratty 3 year old female resident cat.
It went very very well!!!
I finally reached the next step to let the new cat out of the room and let her have freedom of the house .
My resident cat is now hissing and growling at her anytime she is close for the past 3 days.
I thought by today my resident cat would've made some progress with the newcomer but she seems to be getting worse!
I have tried sitting between them, giving them treats , and playing with toys.
I have a feliway diffuser in place.

My issue is that I don't want them to just co-exist, but to bond and get along.
My vet says if there is no progress from my resident cat in a week then most likely she won't accept the new cat.
I'm so scared of returning the new cat to the rescue...what else can I do to help my resident cat accept the new baby?

Should I continue to let the new cat have free range of the house? Or only a limited of time?
I feel like I'm doing everything wrong since my resident cat is backtracking.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What steps have you taken so far in the introduction process?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What steps have you taken so far in the introduction process?
Basically what Jackson Galaxy youtube video advised.
Kept new kitten in a separate room and did not let them see eachother.
I laid towels around for both cats and rotated them around until they got used to the scent.
From there I let them eat on opposite sides of the closed door until they were both comfortable and at ease.
From there I cracked open the door and let them eat across from eachother until they were comfortable again ..and would gradually open the door wider and wider with each feeding and saw they were not bothered by the other.
Once the door was wide enough, in put a gate at the door and let them observe eachother until comfortable.
From there I let her come out of the room and have free range of the house.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing, growling and slaps are to be expected. Your older cat just needs to get that out of her system before she will adjust. I would continue to extend the time they are together and separate them only of all out fighting occurs.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to hear of a resident cat welcoming a new cat with puuurrss & snuggles. It sounds like things are going well, keep it up :) On top of that, you have 2 female cats and you brought in the second one at an adult size. Your 3 year old cat wants the other one to know she is still the top cat.