Introducing new kitten to mature cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I put a video cam in front of Kittens room door. To see how Lola acts when I’m not there. I saw this. Looks like Lola is being playful. But what do you think? Is this expected? A positive sign? Or am I misreading this and maybe Lola is try to get at the kitten?

Lola_at_door2023-09-29T04_49_58-0400.mp4

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All sounds normal to me.... all adult cats are stressed with a kitten around, females especially, and she will want to teach it manners. swatting, growling, and hissing are all perfectly normal. The kitten will be a pest until it gets a little older, but everything sounds good so far, try to relax and let them together more and more,......

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, not sure. But it doesn't look aggressive.

Have you considered trying the stacked baby gates at that door. Then Lola and the kitten can get near each other, even do pawsies, but still both be safe.

Here's a pic, from the How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite article.
View attachment 460667
Yes that’s the next step. Though with one of those screens I can put over the door. I think I rushed it before, so am now taking my time. I want to get to the point there is no more hissing and growling before going to the screen. In the meantime have been letting them get line of sight by holding kitten in the presence of resident cat. Seems to be working as Lola now comes up to me and takes the treat writhing just a foot of the kitten. This week if continues to go well will put up the screen. Anyhow that’s why I want to interpret if Lola is ready for that.

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a very similar situation when I adopted a kitten. My senior was 13 and had lived with another cat but it had been about 3 years of being an only cat. This was probably 2.5 years ago, I had brought the new cat in and tried all the things you're doing maybe for 4 months, and then finally just let them all out in the open because I wasn't sure it would ever be perfect. I did get a second kitten about 2 months into it. This helped the first kitten have someone to play with.

2.5 years later, I can't say that the senior and kittens were ever friends. She tolerated them, but she still hissed and swiped at them when they got too close. She just passed away this week. The whole time, I had been putting the kittens in a separate room overnight and I think she appreciated the break from them, and they frankly started to love the bedtime routine. That might be something tk teg
Have you considered a second kitten? 😊 after having two kittens at the same time and seeing how much they play together and bond, I will always try to get two going forward.

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a very similar situation when I adopted a kitten. My senior was 13 and had lived with another cat but it had been about 3 years of being an only cat. This was probably 2.5 years ago, I had brought the new cat in and tried all the things you're doing maybe for 4 months, and then finally just let them all out in the open because I wasn't sure it would ever be perfect. I did get a second kitten about 2 months into it. This helped the first kitten have someone to play with.

2.5 years later, I can't say that the senior and kittens were ever friends. She tolerated them, but she still hissed and swiped at them when they got too close. She just passed away this week. The whole time, I had been putting the kittens in a separate room overnight and I think she appreciated the break from them, and they frankly started to love the bedtime routine. That might be something tk teg
Have you considered a second kitten? 😊 after having two kittens at the same time and seeing how much they play together and bond, I will always try to get two going forward.
Thank you. We did consider getting another kitten but have read that even that could have issues as there is no guarantee the kittens will get along either. We don’t have room for further introductions haha

I would be satisfied if they just tolerate each other. But it’s good to hear about your timeframe as it gives me a perspective. I realize each cat and situation ia different. But good to have a perspective. Thank you

JavierG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Am finally here. Lola and Taffy are not friends yet, but after two months, with a setback after first two weeks, and restarting, they can now be together without outright hostility. In fact Lola leaves Taffy alone, it’s Taffy that keeps after Lola to try and play, which makes Lola hiss or swipe at her. So for now keeping it at two hours a day to let Lola settle into the new kid. But finally feel this will work.

Lola and Taffy