Introducing New Kitten Problem.. ? Or Not..

joepryan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat at 1 year and 11 months has always been hit and miss with cats.. My friend has her brother so every now and then I take my cat down to see her brother and they play but my cat plays rough!

Recently I thought it would be a nice idea to get her a friend for home whilst we are at work so that they can play together and keep each other company.

When our kitten got home a week ago I began a slow meeting process. The kitten has her own room and when they feed they eat near the door with the door slightly open. After being more confident they were not aggressive I just opened the door and they sniffed each other and it all turned out to be fine!

Now the problem is, Well at least I think its a problem, the fact my older cat is now more confident around this kitten however my kitten is not so much more confident. My older cat gets very giddy and yesterday decided to literally charge at my kitten which then the kitten freaked out and hissed which sent my older cat to go crazy so they had a yell and a clobber at each other. I split them up immediately.

I am not sure what to think because it seems my older cat wants to play with her but the kitten really does not want to. I am always present in the same room they are in when they are out together but is any of this concerning?

They seem fine but as soon as the older cat wants to play the kitten puts her ears straight back and hisses.

Is this behavior normal or should I be doing something differently? I have videos but no idea how to attach them haha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joepryan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat trying to play nicely?

Then her charging which can lead to a scrap.. (Sorry about the mess)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, we tell people not to worry so much, but this *is* quite a big size difference so I feel its good your watching. Cats don't hurt kittens BUT once in a while an unusually enthusiastic adult size youngster plays so roughly with a kitten that sheer prudence requires another week or two of separation. Nothing in the videos suggests you have a problem, actually looks to me like they are going to end up friends, just saying keep watching for a bit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Beautiful cats. :catlove:

Generally older cats will try to teach kittens "cat manners" so it can appear to get a bit rough at times, but if the kitten doesn't seem scared, keeps going back to more fun, and there is no blood or fur flying, it is probably "mock fighting".

But as long as your kitten seems scared, I would keep them separated when you are not around to supervise. You might even try doing the How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How is the kitten when the older cat is in another room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joepryan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys, I wouldn't let them go together without being supervised for now. The kitten like i said has her own bedroom to settle in but when she goes in there she just turns crazy scratching the door and wanting to get out. Its hard to tell what the cats want, Right now my little kitten is sleeping on my knee and my older cat is sleeping on the rug infront of me.. It just seems when my adult cat wants to play she just goes in full blown without holding back which scares the little one. It looks to me like they do not dislike each other because when they are calm they will sniff each other and be absolutely fine. They also are more then happy to sit next to each other whilst eating. I suppose its just a case of time and keeping an eye on them. Hopefully they will both learn how to play and when they are being too much :) In the 2 days time they have been together they only had a little scrap within the first hour but since then it seems to be getting better. Think i'll just keep locking my little kitten in her bedroom at night and when I'm not around. Thanks for your advice tho guys :)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can never get enough of those playful side jumps. Like others said it looks like they are on track to become friends. The only suggestion I'd add is to do some site swapping. Mostly so the little one can get a good look around, find all the hiding spots and up highs without someone following her around begging to play.