Introducing New Cat

Leoyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we finally got our new addition on saturday evening (Cest), but now we are worried for a few reasons.

First of all she didnt eat but today she finally started eating again so thats solved, but she seems very hyper and nervous (no hiding). Shes constantly meowing and running circles, scratching the walls despite having 3 scratch trees in her "adjustment" room and constantly rubbs on whoever is in the room. She hisses when we enter and then comes up to cuddle, and breathes heavy (we are going to a vet today). Shes a bit bigger then our resident cat and half a year younger, when they saw each other shortly my cat hissed a bit. Now we wonder if it was a good choice to get a second cat for our baby? Could it be cause shes from a spanish shelter ( lived most of her live there with her siblings)?

Im really worried now, i hope some of you have experience with this .
Greetings Michelle.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leoyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on your 2nd cat! Don't worry, yet. It's still very early days.

The vet visit is a good idea. Just to make sure she's physically healthy. Then you should keep her separated from your 1st cat, and follow the cat introduction suggestions.
Do you think it would be a good idea to leave the solid door a tiny bit open so the feliway can also work on my 1st? There's another screen door, I mean like a tiny opening? Or should I just swap it between the rooms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leoyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think it would be a good idea to leave the solid door a tiny bit open so the feliway can also work on my 1st? There's another screen door, I mean like a tiny opening? Or should I just swap it between the rooms?
Update: we had to give her back because she had a transmittable disease and my parents are too scared, so the organization wanted to give her to someone with more experience.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry you had to return her, but at least she hadn't been with you long, so she didn't have time to get too attached. And now she'll be adopted out to someone who is better experienced to deal with her health issues. And, of course, you won't have to worry about your cat getting ill.

If your family is still considering adopting a second cat, here's another article that might be helpful:

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty