Introducing new cat litter after a failure

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Greetings from Scotland!

British Blue Shorthair neutered female 3 years old, indoor only. We have a litterbox in the downstairs hall way & upstairs in the cat playroom.

From a kitten, Coojee has been using a clumping litter made of Natural White Bentonite by Sanicat. (Active White Lotus Flower Clumping Cat Litter | Sanicat) I have grown concerned about the health hazards of Bentonite & have researched other products. I found a product made of Pea husks which looked safe, Catit Go Natural (Go Natural Pea Husk Clumping Cat Litter - Catit UK). I introduced this as well as I could, with 2 new litter trays, filled with the new litter alongside each of the old trays. I encouraged Coojee to use the new tray by making them smell of her urine & gently encouraging her to go in. Coojee managed a few pees, but did not like the litter. It is a little sharp on the paws (despite the marketing) & resistant to scooping. After 2 weeks, I decided to find an alternative. I decided on Natures Calling litter (Home - Natures Calling) which is made of crushed walnut shells.

I removed the old Pea Husk litter, cleaned the 2 new litter trays & applied the new litter. I must say it looks very good, perfect for burying your toilet! However Coojee has got used to ignoring the 2nd litter trays. What process should I use to introduce the new litter? Note that the Walnut litter is a dark brown, the old litter is a very light grey.