Introducing my cat to the great outdoors

MirandaLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my male kitten since he was seven weeks old. Before that, he was an indoor/outdoor cat in the country. He is now almost 5, & has solely been an indoor cat ever since. In my old 3rd-floor apartment I would occasionally take him on my balcony when I was with him, but then I moved to a house, still in the city, & he was never allowed out due to the dangers of being run over. Now I live in the country & would love to let him out on occasion to explore. What is the best way to go about this without worrying he will run off & get eaten my a coyote or bobcat (yes both have been spotted very near my house) or farm dog or get into a fight with a fox or raccoon or barn cat?!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You answered your own question...if you are worried that he will run off, or get eaten by a bobcat or coyote or farm dog, or get into a fight with wildlife he needs to stay inside. There are too many dangers and the country is not as idyllic as it sounds. Right now a member is asking for support for her cat who was shot by a neighbor and has to have his leg amputated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MirandaLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You answered your own question...if you are worried that he will run off, or get eaten by a bobcat or coyote or farm dog, or get into a fight with wildlife he needs to stay inside. There are too many dangers and the country is not as idyllic as it sounds. Right now a member is asking for support for her cat who was shot by a neighbor and has to have his leg amputated.
That’s so awful!! I hope he comes through surgery ok! Some people are just monsters!

I have a harness and leash set that I am currently getting him used to, so perhaps that is the best option for when we are out in the yard relaxing instead of letting him be a “free-range” kitty for a couple hours. As much as I wish he could just frolic and get his energy out & his sunshine in like a child during recess, I think this is the better solution.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used harnesses and leads with previous cats I have owned. No one currently seems to have any interest in going outside. The three cats who went out this way enjoyed themselves and followed this pattern for years until they were old and did not want to leave the house. I also had a tie out spike like is used for dogs and would attach them to this on a long lead but only when I was in a place where I could continually watch them. It depends on the set up of your property if that would work or not, also the personality of your cat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he microchipped? It is possible he will not want to be outside after being in for so long though exploring the country would be fun! Harness and collar to be safe.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can back out of the harnesses if you don't also attach the lead to a collar.

My indoor/outdoor, I tried leash training when I brought him in. But every little thing outside totally freaked him out. Its one thing when they have unrestricted motion, and another on the leash.