Introducing Millie and Reina

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I adopted a young (1.5 years) cat, Millie, a week ago today. She’s been cleared for introductions by the vet and so two days ago we started trying to feed Millie and Reina, my boyfriend’s cat, on opposite sides of a door. Up until then, I don’t think Reina was aware that Millie was here.... the door is very thick and has soundproofing panels (bf is a musician) and a draft blocker.
Reina has hissed each time. She ate at the door yesterday but wouldn’t today - she is a free feeder (I’ve tried to get my bf to switch her to scheduled meals but it hasn’t worked, and Millie comes from a free-feeding household as well). Reina’s eyes are also dilated anytime I’m around or whenever she’s near the door, and when I was playing with her today, she attacked my hand. I’m a little worried that this means the match won’t work out - I read an article on the ASPCA’s website that suggested if hissing goes on for more than a few days, the cats probably won’t integrate. Is this true?
I’m further troubled by something I saw in Reina’s original adoption paperwork - I made a binder of her records today, and bf still had her “listing” from the shelter. She was listed as not being good with other cats. She’d just had a litter of kittens so I’m not sure if that had something to do with it, or if she’s truly cat-aggressive :(
Photos attached :) tuxedo is Reina, fluffy butt is Millie!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whoops, forgot to add that we have two Feliway diffusers going!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is VERY early on! For them to still be hissing thought the door at this point is not the least bit unusual. Cat introductions frequently take weeks, and sometimes months. Remember, you can only go as fast as the most reluctant cat is willing to go. You CANNOT RUSH!

This is an excellent article. And you are right...having just had kittens and suddenly being in a shelter environment could certainly cause her issues. Poor girl.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is VERY early on! For them to still be hissing thought the door at this point is not the least bit unusual. Cat introductions frequently take weeks, and sometimes months. Remember, you can only go as fast as the most reluctant cat is willing to go. You CANNOT RUSH!
Thank you for the reassurance! I read an ASPCA that says "If the hissing goes on for more than a few days, it's unlikely that the match will work out," and my heart just sank into my stomach! I'm definitely going to take it very, very slowly - even bought a cot for my bf to sleep on so that Reina doesn't have to be alone while we keep them separated - and for me to sleep on when we swap territories, whenever they're ready for that. (Millie's in the bedroom - unfortunately we only have one door in the whole apartment, besides the bathroom door!)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah. Well. The ASPCA does good work, but sometimes I disagree with them. And on this, I do. You will get there. They may never be "besties," but you can be reasonably sure that eventually they will peacefully coexist, and just the presence of another cat is a good thing.

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As an update, it's now been two weeks since Millie arrived and we're still not having success with feeding on opposite sides of the door. Reina will only eat a bite or two no matter how far back we put the food, and if they're within about 6' of each other, Reina will hiss a few times at Millie and then walk away. She's normally very food-motivated... sometimes she'll eat her favorite treats within 4-6 feet of Millie (opposite sides of closed door), but she hisses - no abatement of that behavior at all. Millie got spayed on Monday so I know there can be a bit of a re-acclimation period after that, but still...

Millie is also increasingly interested in getting into the rest of the house. Today, she bombed the door as I was moving between rooms and she and Reina caught sight of each other from maybe 2 feet apart. Reina started hissing - I had a food dish in my hand so I threw chunks of very smelly wet food behind her, but she was not distracted. I shut the door and Reina crouched down next to it and made this low meow/moaning sound, then walked away after a few minutes. Just feeling discouraged that we haven't even been able to move forward a step!