Introducing kitties to the vaccuum

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven`t vaccuumed since  the kittens came home but I really really need too, but I'm worried about panicking them. I  was thinking I'd put them in their carrier and put them in the bedroom while I do the main room, and then in the main room while I do the bedroom? Not really sure the best way to go about it without scaring them more than necessary.

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, I would go a bit in the other direction and not make a big fuss about protecting them from the vacuum. It could be good to put them in a separate room if you think they will really fret about it. I think the carrier is a bit too confined, and in my (limited) experience cats will find their own preferred hiding spots if necessary. If you make a big deal about keeping them away from the vacuum, it could reinforce the idea that the vacuum is bad/scary. Personally, I would just turn it on and see how they react. They can run and hide if it's scary. Obviously, don't turn it on if they're right up close to it. But maybe while they're off playing. My kitten in very skittish but surprisingly not that bothered by the vacuum. He stands off a bit and watches me.

Last edited:

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with my-boy-jasper. You should just let them figure out how to deal with the vacuum. Let them hide, if they feel like it. It would be much worse to associate the carrier with the evil vacuum.

My three cats react different: one will not come out from under the bed hours after the vacuum is put away, one will hide only for the duration of the cleaning and the brave male couldn't care less - he totally ignores it.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with others. It's the same reason we're encouraged not to make a big fuss when we leave for vacation. Just a simple, "See you next week, kitty," is enough. Cats are very astute and perceptive - they can definitely pick up on your nervousness or if you're being hesitant. 

I just nonchalantly turn mine on. Sure, the first time he bolted and hid under my bed for hours after that, but now he just moves away when I vacuum. He doesn't like the sound still, but he picks a spot I don't vacuum to sit and watch.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
good point about associating the carrier with the vaccuum, I didn't think of that!

I'll just leave them loose and see how they deal, then. Thanks :)