introducing kittens

missliner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my second kitten yesterday, and this site has given me all types of helpful advice about introducing Indigo (new boy, 2 months) and Kioko (resident princess, 7 months). I would like to share this process with you all, because it is hard for me to see Kioko upset, and I could just use some support. Plus, I loved reading everyone else's stories, so maybe my story will help someone else, too!

See my babies in my intro post - Intro w/ Baby Pics

I let Kiki see Indy when I brought him in his carrier, and she hissed and puffed up, as expected. Now I have him set up in my room with food, litter, toys, etc. Kiki spent yesterday night guarding the door and hissing at him (he hisses back, he's no scaredy cat!). This morning I put her in my mom's room (I am 27, we live together like roommates) and let Indy out with me. We took a nap on the couch together, he slept on my neck!

So I switch them now and then to make sure no-one gets too lonely. Kiki gets upset in my room - it really smells like him, she waits by the door to leave, even though I'm there with her. It's hard getting in and out of my room - Kiki wants in to get at Indy, and he runs like lightening to get out when I open the door. He's gotten out into the hallway a couple of times - hard to catch and they started hissing immediately.

There's a large gap under my bedroom door, so they are able to see each other. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I cover it up sometimes. Today I laid down outside the door with Kioko, who was sticking her paws under the door to get at him. I could see him too, and when she'd stick her paws in, he'd pounce on them! Then, when she stopped pawing at him, he stuck his paws out at her! There was no hissing at this point, and I have to admit it was pretty cute - I was so proud of Indigo!

So do you think this gap is okay, or is this too much interaction for this stage of the game?

dmcwlvssr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your doing all you can, that is exactly what the situation here will be in 2 days! Patience will pay off Mischka & Linx after 2 years are now just STARTING to become pals. I didn't do it that way for them, so I am hoping the slower introduction will work better. Best of luck and belly rubs all around

G

ghostuser

There's a two inch gap under the door to our spare room, where we've kept the new kitties. (After Merlin,I've introduced three more to the house.) I think that it helped them adjust faster - they were never in that spare room for more than three days. They get to actually interact with each other, and feel very safe because they can just back away and be completely out of range.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missliner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I realized i'm going to need to do this as quickly as possible, because the separation just isn't working well, practically. I held the kitten and opened the door. Kioko watched him from the doorway for a while. I talked to her soothingly. She eventually started moving forward, no pouncing precursors so I let her. I knelt down with the kitten, and she came over and put her paw on my leg, about to climb up a step to sniff him. Then he batted at her! I didn't allow contact, but she tried to lightly bat back at him, so I ended the session. Funny, I thought she was gong to be the difficult one, because he's so young and just recently with other cats. Guess I was wrong!

ranger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you do have to take a deep breath and let them figure it out- so long as you're right there and are absolutely sure the kitten is safe. Although the times I've introduced kittens to older cats they 'know' the kitten is only a baby, and while it might get spat and growled at, none of those cats have ever shown any sign of attacking, even when it was a huge fear of mine. Two tricks that you might find helpful- if you pet your older cat with a dry wash cloth, especially around her face at her scent glands, then pet the kitten with it, then pet the older cat with it again, their scent starts to get combined and transfered between them before they meet. The kitten will smell of its mother at the moment which your other cat won't like. The other is that when you introduce them, take them into a room where your kitten has plenty of places to hide or watch from a distance if things get a bit scary for him, and try only an hour or so before you separate them again. Food can also help- often the first time my lot have had a clear sight of someone new was at a mealtime with the dishes well apart in one room, and they got a good look while they ate but the food held their main attention. I'm sure in a couple of weeks they'll be absolutely fine together, but I know it must feel like you need the UN moving in at the moment!