Introducing Kittens - Crying When Separated From Me

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had tips on introducing kittens. I've had my 12 week old named Mimi for 6 weeks now. I just adopted an 11 week old named Tammy on Sunday. I've been keeping them in separate rooms because when I try to introduce them, Mimi pounces, bites and scratches Tammy and growls and hisses. I live in a small apartment Where the living room and kitchen are one room. During the day Tammy is in the bedroom and Mimi is in the living/kitchen, and at night I switch them so that Tammy can sleep with me. The problem is that I can't be in two places at once. If I'm in one room with Tammy trying to play and bond with her, then Mimi will be on the other side of the door jumping up and grabbing the doorknob and crying. If I'm with Mimi then sometimes Tammy cries. What do I do? I bought a baby gate to put in the bedroom doorway but Mimi jumps over it. I end up spending most of my time with Mimi because she makes a such a scene if I leave her alone and I don't want to her to hate Tammy for taking away my attention.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't have the articles that some of the others on this site can share with you about introducing two cats/kittens. So, be a little patient and they will come through for you, I am sure.

Could Mimi jump over two baby gates, one on top of the other? If not, you could put each kitten on one of each side of the doubled gate and feed them both treats - first from one side and then the other. (Yeah, I know - what fun!!). Also, exchange towels between the two - each one having your scent on them as well as the other kitten's scent.

What do you do during the day, if you are gone? One gets the bedroom and the other the rest of the home? You might try switching that back and forth also.

They're young, they will get over this, eventually.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try putting one or the other in their carrier and leaving her out where the other can sniff and see her . Usually kittens adapt very quickly to one another so it might not take more than a few of meetings before the growling and hissing stop. Once it does, let the kitten out and engage them both in some play and see how that goes.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I've never seen that with real young kittens. Two kittens that young, you can generally just put them together and it will be fine. But I agree it shouldn't take long. Double high baby gates, wedge a cracked door so it cant be opened or if need be the carrier method - all will probably work pretty quickly I imagine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't have the articles that some of the others on this site can share with you about introducing two cats/kittens. So, be a little patient and they will come through for you, I am sure.

Could Mimi jump over two baby gates, one on top of the other? If not, you could put each kitten on one of each side of the doubled gate and feed them both treats - first from one side and then the other. (Yeah, I know - what fun!!). Also, exchange towels between the two - each one having your scent on them as well as the other kitten's scent.

What do you do during the day, if you are gone? One gets the bedroom and the other the rest of the home? You might try switching that back and forth also.

They're young, they will get over this, eventually.
I do the thing where I feed them on either side of the gate but sometimes Mimi will still jump the gate. I also will play with them on either side of the gate with a wand toy A couple minutes waving the wand on either side and they take turns chasing it. When I do that mimi is usually too distracted to try to jump the gate. I guess I could put a second gate. But I'd have to take it down every time I want to pass. The bathroom is in the bedroom. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a fancier gate that has a door that you can open because I'm hoping I'm not going to need it for more than a week which seems like a waste. Also most of them involve putting holes in the wall or door frame and I rent so I have limited options.

During the day when I'm not at home I have one outside and one in the bedroom. I haven't tried switching that up. Only the day to night switch. The reason for that is that if I leave Mimi in the bedroom and go outside she will cry and scratch the door thinking that I am outside with Tammy while she's locked in the room. So I've only ever left Tammy in the bedroom and Mimi outside while I'm out during the day so that she can see me walk out of the apartment and know I'm not in the other room with the other cat. Then they switch at night.

I'll try the towel thing too. Thanks!

I would try putting one or the other in their carrier and leaving her out where the other can sniff and see her . Usually kittens adapt very quickly to one another so it might not take more than a few of meetings before the growling and hissing stop. Once it does, let the kitten out and engage them both in some play and see how that goes.
I've done the carrier thing a couple times but mimi still pounces, bites, hisses, growls and swats. Maybe I'll try it a few more times.

Wow, I've never seen that with real young kittens. Two kittens that young, you can generally just put them together and it will be fine. But I agree it shouldn't take long. Double high baby gates, wedge a cracked door so it cant be opened or if need be the carrier method - all will probably work pretty quickly I imagine.
Yeah I was really surprised too. I got Callie while Mimi was so young because I thought it would be easier but apparently not lol.

These are all good suggestions. In the mean time I just feel really bad because I leave Tammy alone all the time to avoid upsetting Mimi.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you've got it under control. Keep trying varying tactics; you'll see some that will work better than others - and then go with them.

Maybe when you spend time with Mimi, that is when you use the baby gate tactic with Tammy on the other side?

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you've got it under control. Keep trying varying tactics; you'll see some that will work better than others - and then go with them.

Maybe when you spend time with Mimi, that is when you use the baby gate tactic with Tammy on the other side?
I do that but can only do it when I can focus 100% on mimi and am not distracted by any other activity because the second I look away she flies over the gate lol

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since Mimi was only 6 wks when you got her she probably doesn't have cat manners. Tammy is saying back off and play nice but Mimi doesn't understand that scratching and biting hurt. Tammy may need to give Mimi a bite and a scratch so Mimi can learn to play with her claws in and soft mouth.

If their nails are trimmed and Tammy isn't scared let the supervised play/fight last longer. I'm not sure the lesson Mimi needs can be taught by a human.

Suchasweety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a thought.. you said you adopted both kittens. Did they come already spayed? If so ( not sure if possible where they are so young) could it be hormones settling/ hormone in balance?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they are both so young and a slow introduction hasn’t gotten you very far I would be inclined to let them both out to sort it out themselves. Hisses and even growls in a kitten don’t necessarily mean much except a show of bravado.

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since Mimi was only 6 wks when you got her she probably doesn't have cat manners. Tammy is saying back off and play nice but Mimi doesn't understand that scratching and biting hurt. Tammy may need to give Mimi a bite and a scratch so Mimi can learn to play with her claws in and soft mouth.

If their nails are trimmed and Tammy isn't scared let the supervised play/fight last longer. I'm not sure the lesson Mimi needs can be taught by a human.
Oooh I hadn't thought of that! That could be it. Mimi's nails are trimmed but Tammy's are really long. I've only managed to clip a few of them so far. Tammy isn't scared at all. After I cut the rest of her nails I'll try letting them play for longer. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just a thought.. you said you adopted both kittens. Did they come already spayed? If so ( not sure if possible where they are so young) could it be hormones settling/ hormone in balance?
Neither of them are spayed yet. I'm planning on doing it when they're around 6 months because that's what I've been told by the vet and by the cat rescue.

Since they are both so young and a slow introduction hasn’t gotten you very far I would be inclined to let them both out to sort it out themselves. Hisses and even growls in a kitten don’t necessarily mean much except a show of bravado.
Yeah I don't mind the hisses and growls. But mimi pounces on Tammy and doesn't let her go and she's also bitten her.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitten play can look rough and some cats are more vocal. I would try giving them more time once you get those nails trimmed. Like Hellenww said; she likely needs to learn some manners.

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may be biting but I doubt drawing blood. Mimi will just fight back, common kitten behavior.
Kitten play can look rough and some cats are more vocal. I would try giving them more time once you get those nails trimmed. Like Hellenww said; she likely needs to learn some manners.
I tried it last night and Mimi was constantly pouncing and biting her. tammy swatted back at her a bit. I let them go at it for a while. There was a lot less hissing and growling which is good.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think Mimi is trying to play and Tammy just isn’t appreciating it yet but will join in soon.

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really think Mimi is trying to play and Tammy just isn’t appreciating it yet but will join in soon.
Yeah, it sounds like they just need to get to know each other. Let us know how it goes!
Yeah I think so. I'm letting them spend more and more time together. Mimi still pounces on her and bites. My concern is that she doesn't let go. She will stay on top of Tammy and sink her teeth into Tammy's side and will stay there unless and until I move her or Tammy swats her away. She doesn't draw blood though and Tammy doesn't cry so I guess she's not doing it very hard and/or her tiny kitten teeth are too small to make a real dent.

The good part is that Mimi has stopped growling and only minimally hisses now. Tammy's always been chill from day one and just ignores Mimi for the most part.

It is getting better though. Yesterday they sat side by side and ate treats together for quite a long time.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She will stay on top of Tammy and sink her teeth into Tammy's side and will stay there unless and until I move her or Tammy swats her away. She doesn't draw blood though and Tammy doesn't cry so I guess she's not doing it very hard and/or her tiny kitten teeth are too small to make a real dent.
Kitten teeth always felt sharper to me. I think you're right that Mimi isn't biting hard just hanging on hoping for attention. It sounds like Tammy is handling it properly and giving discipline when needed.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fostering kittens currently and the little minions growl/bite/squeal/fake bunny kick/pounce/hiss at each other all the time. Because they are so young I'm inclined to say let them sort it out themselves (she may need to learn to play nice/manners.) They are both babies and need to be with you as much as possible. That said feel free to distract them with toys when they start getting a little rough.
* my 7 week old minions are surprisingly gentle with me because they are learning how to nice with each other. Plus they have adult cats to teach them manners. My punk bops them on the head occasionally but they love him.

Callaloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fostering kittens currently and the little minions growl/bite/squeal/fake bunny kick/pounce/hiss at each other all the time. Because they are so young I'm inclined to say let them sort it out themselves (she may need to learn to play nice/manners.) They are both babies and need to be with you as much as possible. That said feel free to distract them with toys when they start getting a little rough.
* my 7 week old minions are surprisingly gentle with me because they are learning how to nice with each other. Plus they have adult cats to teach them manners. My punk bops them on the head occasionally but they love him.
I've been doing that and it seems to be getting better. The problem now is that now that Tammy has been spending more time with me she cries more when I'm in the other room with Mimi. And if I'm alone with Tammy then Mimi will cry and launch herself at the door over and over until I let her in. Which is fine during the day because I can supervise them. But at night I want to sleep and I don't know what to do. Every time I'm with one I feel so bad for the other.