Introducing kitten to shy resident cat

Shy cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey y’all
I have a resident cat who is 2.5 years old and she is very sweet but very shy, she spends most of her day napping and she is prone to hiding under the couch or bed if any strangers come over or even knock on the door.
Recently I adopted a kitten he is 4 months old and very friendly. It’s been about a week since we brought the kitten home and the 2 cats haven’t seen eachother but have heard and smelled one another. I’ve tried site swapping but the resident cat is not interested in going into the kittens room so instead I let the kitten out to roam when the resident naps.
Our resident cat seems nervous but doesn’t have any reaction to the new kittens smell, she saw the the kittens paw under the door and seemed interested (big eyes, got down to sniff, no hissing or growling). I’ve been trying to get my resident cat to eat outside the kittens door but she won’t even go near. She hasn’t hissed or growled so I feel like it should be progressing but I feel stuck about the next step.
My resident also seems withdrawn so I’m feeling a bit guilty. It took a long time for her to open up and trust me and I’m worried this will make her regress. Any feedback or suggestions on the situation would be appreciated!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten. Hopefully, eventually, he and your resident cat will be friends.

TCS has this article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful, but of course, your resident cat needs to come out and actually meet the kitten.

Since your resident cat seems withdrawn, make sure you spend as much time as usual with your her. Tell her you still love her, and that she is not being replaced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shy cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! I’ve been trying to spend as much time with her, I guess I’ll just keep trying