Introducing Kitten To Resident Cat

alisonferrell95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I apologize if this is posted in the incorrect thread (I'm new here) but I just adopted a 2 month old male kitten today and have a 1.5 year old male resident cat already. The resident is pretty mellow, can get a little bitty during play, and was somewhat socialized while young,(he was introduced to a dog and plenty of humans, no other cats though) I know that it's early in the introduction process but I suppose I'm just looking for advice on how I can do this so that they have a chance to at least have a neutral relationship.

We brought the kitten home and immediately separated him from resident cat in the bathroom. We let them smell each other under the door and did the sock method where you introduce the other's smell to each. Those both went fairly well. The kitten didn't care, he was interested but showed no signs of aggression of fear. Resident cat did well as well, his tail poofed at first, and he growled a couple times while seeing the kitten through a baby gate but he generally seems curious.

I plan on keeping them separated for at least a few more days and plan on feeding them on either side of a door at the same time but other than that, what would you suggest? How long before I let them meet face to face? Part of me just wants to see how they would interact but I also want them to have a decent relationship. I could take all the advice you all can offer, and I appreciate it!! It's my first time introducing two cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the new kitten. :bouquet: Hopefully in time he and your resident cat will be best buds. :catlove:

It's generally easier to introduce kittens to older cats, but not always. So do read the article Furballsmom Furballsmom posted the link to, as it should answer some of your questions. Here's one more article that might be helpful: The Multi-cat Household

Good luck. Keep us updated on their progress. And post pics if you can. :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are usually much more easy to introduce to a resident cat then adults, but they also live to play and often try to interact with the older cat way before the older one is ready. Cats HATE change and you just brought a new one home, a big one!
It will take several weeks before your older boy is comfortable again. Your older boy will swat, growl, hiss, and tussle, all that is normal. The kitten will need this to learn limits and manners. Blood and deep bites are not normal, and the kitten must be protected from these and removed asap if it looks too rough. That is why supervision and separation are so important at the beginning. Make sure your resident cat has a place to escape to, preferably high up, my Chrissy had a bed on top the fridge.
Don't force attention of the older cat. He is very upset right now, and while he would appreciate treats and some reassurance, he is concentrating big time on that new arrival and is a little preoccupied and could strike out at even the ones he loves out of fear and distraction. So let him set his own pace. Let him watch the baby play, feed them close together to bring on good feelings, and time will bring familiarity and they will become a family unit.
Congratulations on your new arrival! Two males will become buddies, you will be blessed for giving a new love a home and a family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alisonferrell95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
D6AC8E37-818D-441F-8E12-558C1B1D5377.jpeg

Thank you guys for the links, info, and words of encouragement! Both resident cat and kitten seem sketched out about each other and I have to keep reminding myself that it’s normal and this process will require patience (it sure is testing my anxiety haha). Resident cat growls and hisses under the door and kitten hisses and gets a poofy tail on the other side. I also noticed that kitten growls sometimes if pet while he’s eating (wonder if I should be worried about that?)

Also wanted to note the kitten’s background: our friend rescued him from a dryer vent along with his 2 brothers (they think their feral mom put them there since it’s warm). So he was never in a shelter and only interacted with his brothers and mom.

Thanks again everyone, I’ll update on progress! (I also added a picture of kitten when we first brought him home )

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just did something similar with the same sort of reactions. Resident cats (2, each about 2 years old) met the new kitten (about 3 months old) and hissed and growled but not all that much, especially after the first brief visual introduction. Both resident cats were freaked out by the kitten - never mean, just confused. After a few meet-and-greets through baby gates I started letting them interact directly (but supervised).

It seems like you are doing fine. The resident cat hopefully will settle down pretty quickly - the hissing is half defensive and half surprise.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh, how cute! it is normal for any animal to growl when touched while eating (me too! :) ) He is used to fighting his siblings for food, so feels threatened. It will most likely subside as he gets more comfortable and trusts more. Right now it is very stressful for them both.time is all you need!

alisonferrell95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: We introduced them face to face and they've been wandering the house for about 5 hours unseparated and fairly unsupervised. Resident cat has not shown one single sign of aggression and is interested and a little on edge but not scared. Kitten has been hissing at the resident cat when he gets close but he also seems to not be afraid and continues to explore his surroundings confidently. Both have engaged in play, not together but side by side. I feel confident in this interaction! It seems like late stage introduction behavior even though we literally got the kitten yesterday and only tonight introduced them face to face! So good news all around!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woo:

I'm glad they are bonding so quickly!!!

It sounds like things are going great. I would add that if possible create a kitten room in a bedroom to stick your kitten in when everyone needs a break. Also while you are not there to supervise a kitten room comes in handy. Your resident cat might appreciate an hour break in your bedroom when the kitten gets all crazy hyper.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great to hear. :clap2:

I agree with danteshuman danteshuman , to ensure you have a kitten-proofed room to keep the kitten in when you are not around to supervise. Two months is really young, and your older cat could become too rough, not aggressively, just playfully.

alisonferrell95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama definitley! We keep him in our bedroom when we’re not around. Play gets a bit rough sometimes, resident cat pins kitten down and bites (softly) his neck meanwhile kitten is meowing and crying uncle. Not sure if I should intervene on this or let them sort it out. It’s hard to not intervene!

I’ve also been having a hard time because it seems like our resident cat’s personality is changing since we got the kitten. He won’t look at me, I haven’t heard him pur since. He used to cuddle and sit on mine and my boyfriend’s lap but hasn’t even come near us since. He’s still got a healthy appetite though. But it’s hard for me as I had a special relationship with him and his cuddles got me through some tough times.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know he and the kitten have their skirmishes, but do they cuddle, groom, or sleep near each other? If so, that would explain why he's spending less time cuddling with you.

Here's an excerpt from How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat:

If you notice a change in the older cat's behavior

The introduction of a new feline into your home can change the behavior of the resident cat. The older cat may be showing the effect of the added stress, possibly to the extent of developing health issues. If you suspect this may be the case, call your veterinarian and see if they think Kitty needs to be brought in.

Other times, the older cat may just be reacting to the additional stimulus. In fact, some owners report that the cats are taking to one another to the extent that they require less attention from the humans. If you're used to your older cat being clingy, this may come as a surprise. It's not a bad thing, of course. It just means your cats have become good friends.

alisonferrell95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama They actually don’t cuddle, groom, or sleep next to each other at all. I’ll be honest, I myself am even having a really hard time adjusting to having this kitten. I’m not sure why but I don’t feel a connection and I’ve slipped into a bit of depression since we brought him home, I haven’t been eating or sleeping much and I’ve been crying every day. I didn’t expect this to happen and I really don’t know why I’m having such a hard time. I don’t know what to do, has anyone else ever felt this way with a new kitten addition?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, hon, I'm so sorry to read this. :alright: Maybe it's just the change in everything, added responsibility, etc. Adopter's remorse does come up more than you'd think. Usually it passes after a few more days go by.

Do take care of yourself, for yourself, and for the cats, as cats can pick up on their humans' emotions.

I think, in time, your older cat will adjust to having his new baby brother around. He's still eating, sleeping, using the litter box ok, right?

As for kittens, I actually adopted my Ruby as an adult, because I didn't want the stress of "raising" a kitten. But lots and lots of people get kittens! And this time next year, he'll be a grown cat!

So try to enjoy him now. Spend time separately with both cats. And let them interact when they want to.

Here's a couple more articles that might help with your kitten worries:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know