Introducing Kitten To Feral Colony?

jkuok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in an apartment complex, and every so often (kitten season?) we found kitten outside on the street meowing (literally the streets surrounding the complex). Sometimes if they are lucky they get adopted into a forever home since they are still young.

A little background, there is a alpha and mrs alpha, two brothers, and about 4ish other male cats that roam around so around 8-10 cats. There are nice and kind people that feed them but no one would do TNR because its expensive something like $150 per cat.

Like the title ask, could it be possible to introduce a new kitten (at least 2-3 months old) to a feral colony? If possible, what can we do?

There is also the problem that there might be people who hate cats, and think there is already way too many cats. We are also afraid that with a big colony it would attract unwanted people and they would trap and eat them:angryfire: So its a big dilemma.

Any input is welcome, there is of course the option to leave it on the street... but thats not the answer i am looking for and all shelter/rescue group is full/max out

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? Introducing other intact cats is not the answer.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kitten may be accepted by group or not.
It is a heavy dilemma especially if you cannot keep the cat for yourself.
Could the people who feed the feral cats share the responsibility of sterilizing the kitten before released?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jkuok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
in china, well i did see the kitten and its doing well in the area i guess, i still see it around
sadly everyone got their hands full, and no one want to contribute in neutering/spraying cats it just cost too much

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
in china, well i did see the kitten and its doing well in the area i guess, i still see it around
sadly everyone got their hands full, and no one want to contribute in neutering/spraying cats it just cost too much
I thought that might be the case. That is why I gave the answer I did. It is not easy, I know. Older cats will often accept younger ones as long as they are cute and recognize the appropriate social protocols. If the little one is doing ok right now it will probably be ok with the group until it matures.
I have a 5 month old outside that resembles a 3 month old and the other cats treat it like a baby still.