Introducing Indoor Cat To Outdoor Cat

Astidham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 6 weeks ago, I moved from an apartment to a duplex and I’m not sure if I should let my indoor cat outside. I adopted Charlie at 8 months old (he was a stray until 6 months old and then in a foster home until I adopted him) and he has been with me for 7 months now. He keeps trying to escape and get outside and has gotten almost down the front steps a few times, and he seems really interested in going outside. My new duplex has a shared backyard/courtyard with other residents and there is a big lazy cat who patrols the yard that Charlie likes to watch from inside. The first day I was in the new place, they “yelled” at each other through the window for a minute or two but since then my cat runs over to watch him when he sees him outside and the outdoor cat comes to the windows to say hi.

Is there any harm in letting Charlie outside on a leash and risking the outdoor cat is around? It seems like they get along but haven’t actually ever been face to face without a window or door in between them. I would like my cat to be able to go outside and have fun but I don’t want to risk him getting hurt by the cat who already lives here.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are major risks. Is this cat neutered? Vaccinated? If not, way too risky. It would also be wonderful if you could help care for this stray by getting him medical attention and fixed, if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astidham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, there are major risks. Is this cat neutered? Vaccinated? If not, way too risky. It would also be wonderful if you could help care for this stray by getting him medical attention and fixed, if needed.
Sorry, I should have clarified. The outdoor cat is one of my neighbor’s cats, not a stray. His “territory” would overlap with my cat’s. I believe he is both neutered and vaccinated.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know someone with a small metal dog cage. Also called a dog crate, etc. It is a really good way to introduce cats as they cannot really swipe or do much damage to each other through it. Otherwise there are critical diseases, more so infections, they can get from each other regardless of vaccinations. If your cat is on a leash and the other cat is not it really leaves your cat at a disadvantage, something to think about.

Cats can be very territorial and the other cat may not like your cat at first. You don't want an expensive vet visit for your cat or the other cat. If you can a small dog cage or even a cat carrier so they can first smell each other.

P.S. Make sure you clean the dog cage really well you don't want the smell of dog on it. Smell of dog might upset your cat not to mention the other cat:)

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two indoor/outdoor, and can tell you with confidence that the neighbor's cat isn't really the issue. The biggest risk is that if you give him an inch he'll want a mile. We do have one cat that will sometimes stay out for up to 18 hours, but the other wants a revolving door. Once you let your cat out once, the begging, scratching & hassle will increase substantially. Storm coming and cat not back? Time to stress: try and find cat, try and catch cat. Cat not back at usual time? Time to stress. Other issues: (1) ticks, ticks, ticks. I've had lyme disease. Because of my cat. And yeah, we use the medication. Other vet issues, parasites and necessary additional shots are issues, but for us, its the ticks; (2) so what if he gets along with the neighbor cat. I can guarantee that there is a mean SOB cat somewhere that he'll run into at some point. Serious injuries are unlikely, but possible. We haven't had serious injuries, my cats are cowards. But we have been woken up by screaming and found our cats terrified at the glass door, desperate to come in because there is an enemy cat, or once or twice, a fox; (3) be sure the neighborhood is suitable to indoor/outdoor re: traffic & predators. Just because the neighbor chose it doesn't mean it was a good choice.

All in all, I would not do it just because your cat is asking for it. I would do it only if you are having behavioral issues caused by excess energy that going outside might solve, and you have conducted the safety analysis. Like if there is a young cat with too much energy driving an older cat flipping crazy and you live on a cul-de-sac with some public land in back (my situation).

Last edited: