Introducing dog to a cat

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My son found this adorable little terrier running down the road and was never able to locate the owner. After the obligatory week in the Animal Shelter (where he was chipped, neutered and vaccinated) my son was allowed to adopt him. The pup will stay at our house until my son finds a new apartment that can take a dog.

Anyhow, we introduced him to our cat today, and surprisingly Stella didn't seem scared of him. My son was holding the dog in his arms near Stella and she reached out her paw toward him - "bring him closer, I want to sniff." The dog didn't lunge for her or show anything but mild curiosity (maybe he's been around cats in his former life?) We brought the dog into her catio, and she came out to get a better look at him - completely voluntary since she could have stayed inside if she wanted to avoid him. She got this close before she felt uncomfortable, gave a little hiss, and backed off. But then she curled up comfortably a little distance from him and didn't seem otherwise troubled. The dog never once barked at her, just tried to play a couple of times.

I understand that terriers like this little guy are more prone to harass and chase cats, but we don't know his background. From their initial meeting does it seem possible they can peacefully coexist? (It could be weeks before my son is able to take the dog home with him.)

Attachments

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems possible to me, but I don't have very much experience with it. In the past, I introduced an older Lhasa to older cats and they got along fine and neither cared much about the other. Recently, we just got an older puppy back in May and the oldest cat still doesn't love him, but will tolerate being in the same room with him. The kitten is fine with the dog and the other elder cat is NOT a fan (we knew she wouldn't be). She only just this week ventured out into the main part of the house a few days in a row where the dog is. She is still unsure, but I'm considering it progress! 😂

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank your son from us for rescuing this adorable little terrier. 🐶 What did your son name him? You're very, very lucky. It sounds like a great introduction and hopefully Stella and him will become good pals. Having had dogs and cats one thing I would strongly suggest is to keep the two of them separated when no one is home. Eventually you will know if you can trust them together when you leave but for now I wouldn't take any chances. One word of caution - make sure the dog cannot get to the litter box since cat poop is considered a gourmet treat to dogs.:lol: Best of luck, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.:crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank your son from us for rescuing this adorable little terrier. 🐶 What did your son name him? You're very, very lucky. It sounds like a great introduction and hopefully Stella and him will become good pals. Having had dogs and cats one thing I would strongly suggest is to keep the two of them separated when no one is home. Eventually you will know if you can trust them together when you leave but for now I wouldn't take any chances. One word of caution - make sure the dog cannot get to the litter box since cat poop is considered a gourmet treat to dogs.:lol: Best of luck, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.:crossfingers:
I love the name he picked! He found the dog on Valentine's Day, and the dog has a kind of heart shaped spot on his side, so they named him Valentino - to be called Tino, of course.

SO....the question is how to keep the cat litter (which is in the laundry room) accessible to the cat but not the dog.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He found the dog on Valentine's Day, and the dog has a kind of heart shaped spot on his side, so they named him Valentino - to be called Tino, of course.
SO....the question is how to keep the cat litter (which is in the laundry room) accessible to the cat but not the dog.
Love the dog's name and calling him Tino for short!

You can put a gate up with room at the bottom for the cat to get under or jump over but not enough room for the dog to have access to. You can also get a litter box with a hood like this: Vibrant Life Secret Sandbox Cat Litter Box, Gray and Black - Walmart.com
There are many different types for your cat's needs but keep an eye on the dog to check he does not try to get in it. Our last dog was a German Shepherd and he wanted to get in the litter box so bad that one time we found him with the hood on his head. :lol: