Introducing cats. Am I doing this right?

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am introducing a new kitty into the house. I have 3 males (all neutered). I'm introducing a spayed female. Everything is going really well. The new female and 2 of the 3 males seem to be getting along fine. I just have a question about my shyest kitty (Simon).

Right now, I set up a second set of food/water and cat box in a back bedroom because the new kitty kind of hangs in the kitchen and laundry room (where the cat food/other cat boxes are). I figured this would allow Simon to eat/use the box without having to deal with the newcomer. (I'm totally paranoid about the cats not eating!)

Is this the right thing to do? Simon seems to be getting more brave about coming out and interacting, but he still doesn't seem to want to eat/use the box in the kitchen/laundry room. (BTW, all the cats have the run of the house, I'm not locking Simon in the back, just giving him another place to eat/go to the bathroom)

My only concern is that by setting up food/box in the back bedroom, he'll never go back to using the stuff in the kitchen. I want him to go back to using the stuff in the kitchen/laundry room. Do you think he'll do that, even if I have the food and stuff in the back right now?

Thanks!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you have the new girl separated for a few days before opening up the other kitties home to her? All of your boys should have complete comfort with her intro, and she should be slowly allowed to interact with them and the home, especially when it comes to your shy guy. A new intro will adapt more easily to a slow intro and litter box movement. If you seperate him from her and the other boys he may very well feel more intimidated and she is given more power to intimidate him.