Introducing Cats (again)

kitkath

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, I made a post a few weeks back about introducing a younger male, Ossie age 1, to my older male, Chai, age 13. Ossie kept going after Chai (chasing him, bothering him, etc.) I think it's mostly play related, but Chai is growly/hissy and also runs away so that sparks Ossie's prey drive and I'm curious if there's dominance issues. I backed off and kept them closed off in different rooms and let Ossie out more in my house to get more comfortable and let Chai get used to his scent around. I've started feeding them together at Chai's door (that I put up a screen on) I admit, I shoudl've done that to begin with, but neither cat showed any issues until face to face meeting.

A slight recap- when I first got Ossie, I kept the cats separate for 3-4 weeks (doing the plan that Jackson Galaxy suggests, scent soaking, area swapping, etc) before moving onto sight behind a screen, and then face to face. After they seemed to have a tussle, I backed off and separated them fully for about 2-3 weeks. I then put the screen back on Chai's door and started feeding them, both of them eat together no issue. (Ossie has fear issues related to being "contained" be it a harness, cat carrier, or screen on his door so that's why I put it on Chai's )

I have had Ossie for about 9 weeks now and have started letting them out together again. Chai is scared, but will stand his ground if he feels safe (ie. climbs the cat tree, goes on my bed, higher up, etc.) he won't move much from his place though, and seems mostly fine if Ossie isn't by him. He has fully laid down loaf position, and even has had squinty, love eyes for a short while. But if Ossie is by him, he's growly/hissy/swatting. Ossie for the most part will respect Chai's space after he hisses. But within a few minutes is right back to trying to jump up by Chai again and again. He'll sit/ stare and swishy tail at Chai then jump up by him. I was able to capture video tonight to see if I could have some help seeing if this is normal or something to be concerned by. Please excuse our messy room lol, it's kinda in disarray, and the pee pads on the bed, Chai pees outside of his box on occasion (however hasn't since we've had Ossie thankfully!)Anyways:

Here's what I'm thinking is more of a play jump

Here's a moment that is more calm, Chai has much softer/squinty eyes

And lastly, Ossie jumped at him and Chai got hissy/swatty. I notice Ossie walks away, and didn't fight back

Shortly after that last video, I took Ossie into his room to settle for a bit, and then he was out and my husband played with him to get that energy out. We then opened Chai's door and Ossie went in, keeping his distance but then going up to Chai again. Chai ran out of the bedroom to the living room and Ossie chased him, Chai ran back to our room and under the bed. I didn't see them as they were quick but Chai was VERY hissy/growly/scream meow as he ran. :/

Is this stuff you think we can work with? Or are there any concerning behaviors here? thank you all so much for your help! I am an anxious person by nature and just LOVE Chai, so I get worried seeing him act like this. I've fallen in love with Ossie too which just makes it hard, but I always want to do what's best for them! and we're debating finding Ossie a new home

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had 2 cats at the same time, so I'm not really familiar with their play fights, but the last video looked a bit serious to me. At least it didn't escalate to anything more. But those swats could results in scratches, so if you are able, it might be a good idea to clip the claws of both cats, to be on the safe side.

TCS, btw, has an article Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? | TheCatSite which you might find helpful. There's pics and videos that show the difference between playing and fighting.