Introducing Cat to a Small Dog.

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently staying at a friend's house. My cat lives in the bedroom with my boyfriend and I. He does great even if the circumstance is unfortunate. We are moving to a house in Virginia that had another cat and a Small dog. (Mini schnauzer)

Today a friend's dog (small, quiet, poodlepoo mix) is staying in the apartment we're currently residing in. The cat definitely feels like the bedroom we stay in is his territory. Today we let him smell the dog through the door. He was upset ar first but with some treats and coaxing, he let the dog come in but not near him. He even laid down on his side. I feel like it's entirely possible to get him used to a dog but I worry about introducing him to an environment where he doesnt feel like is his territory with a dog already living there. Any other tricks? My cat is very adaptable but I can't imagine him being ok with a dog up in his face.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This article should have some useful information for you: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs.

I think it's important that you let your cat settle into one room as a "safe room" when you first move there.  Give him a few days even.  It would probably be best if the safe room is your bedroom like it is now.  He'll have familiar scents and things about him; which should help him with the adjustment.  

I have had cats and dogs who get along great.  One of my mother's cats still grooms her dog like he has since he was a kitten almost 11 years ago.  He puts her in a headlock till he feels she is clean enough. 
  The dog is good size too; no small dog!  But they are buddies.  
  Just make sure to introduce them and keep an eye.  These things can take time so you may have to be patient.  Cat to cat introductions can take months sometimes; cat to dog may not be much different.  Just be sure your kitty has a safe place to go away from the dog; whether your room has to be gated or you have cat trees/shelves.  

Good luck!!