Introducing Bone In Meats?

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats have been on a raw diet for a few months. Now the problem is transitioning them to bone in meats.

Surprisingly, my finicky slow transitioner, suddenly took right away to a chicken thigh... and he ate half the bone (it's big!!). Is this safe? He seems to be okay, no choking or anything. I know chewing on bone is good for cleaning teeth, but will he break them?

Second, my faster transitioner somehow seems to have hit a road block. She will just refuse to eat if there is bone or skin in the food. My question is, should I revert back a little and give her smaller sized portions with skin in? When do I know when to introduce bone in for her?

Are chicken wings easier than thighs for them?

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nolia

Are chicken wings easier than thighs for them?
Chicken wings are definitely easier, chicken wing tips are better.
For me, my cats' first bone are quail wings, quail ribs and small pieces of chicken ribs.

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with koobe, chicken wings will be easier. I started my cats on chicken necks, which are very soft and easy to eat -- even easier than wings, but harder to find at the store...

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrookeSphynx

I agree with koobe, chicken wings will be easier. I started my cats on chicken necks, which are very soft and easy to eat -- even easier than wings, but harder to find at the store...
I think I will try chicken neck then my cats are older. I gave them one time (whole piece) and they could not eat it. So I ended up cutting them into small pieces.

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by koobe

I think I will try chicken neck then my cats are older. I gave them one time (whole piece) and they could not eat it. So I ended up cutting them into small pieces.
I had to start by cutting them into one inch pieces for all of my cats. Two of my guys will take them whole now, and the other just sit and stare at them if they aren't cut up!!
Cats are so funny. I wish I could explain, "it will taste exactly the same if I cut it or if you chew it."

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BrookeSphynx

I had to start by cutting them into one inch pieces for all of my cats. Two of my guys will take them whole now, and the other just sit and stare at them if they aren't cut up!!
Cats are so funny. I wish I could explain, "it will taste exactly the same if I cut it or if you chew it."

I have weird ones they do not like necks or wings ... they eat legs and thighs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So does that mean if my cat ate half the chicken thigh bone that it's okay? Should I be worried?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So does that mean if my cat ate half the chicken thigh bone that it's okay? Should I be worried?
was it RAW or cooked?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Raw.

T_T I think everyone just skipped my entire post and went to the last question lol

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried smashing the bone first?

Most of mine hate chicken wings but will eat drumsticks, thighs, ribs, or necks as their bone source.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Raw.

T_T I think everyone just skipped my entire post and went to the last question lol
that is perfectly okay and great you have one that will