Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we can go lower. She’s still fairly sedated. I could probably trim her nails though. Sounds like pain dose can start at 5 mg per kg or approximately 25 grams for this cat once per 24. I won’t dose her in the morning and I’ll try her with 1/4 capsule (25 mg) tomorrow night. I want to find a dose that has her eating comfortably with the minimum amount of sedation.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finished dinner and overnight. 143 calories yesterday. Breakfast first pass was a little better than usual but not quite as perky as Monday. I’m thinking she’ll probably need twice a day dosing after all. But perhaps we can try 25 mg tonight and tomorrow morning.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s definitely less sedated on 25 mg. She may leave a small remainder on dinner judging from second pass. 25 may not be enough. But let’s see how she does with a second dose in the morning. I can make four more 25’s tomorrow and maybe three 33’s (splitting a 100 into three capsules.). I think 50’s are too much and 25’s may not be enough. But let’s see if the relief accumulates with consistent dosing. On the other paw, she may grow into the 50 dose with repeated smaller doses. Let’s give 25 a chance because that gives her a chance to not be overly sedated.

I think she is still a little stoned though. 😻
601700C8-5BA3-42FB-A763-F51D2B51F396.jpeg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
So, she has to be sedated until whenever this appointment might be? Poor kitty! On the other paw, I have heard a vet say kitties enjoy opiates…

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, she has to be sedated until whenever this appointment might be? Poor kitty! On the other paw, I have heard a vet say kitties enjoy opiates…
No, no, no. When she had gabapentin on Monday and again last night, her appetite perked up and she finished her plates. The doc and I believe she was getting a pain relief benefit from gabapentin. But she experienced heavy sedation at both the 100 and 50 mg doses. I am looking for a dose that might give her the pain relief without the sedation. Gabapentin isn't an opiate. But with this cat, it's a lot easier to give than buprenorphine since Betty will eagerly take anything I put in a capsule for her and dip it in A/D. There may not be a magic dose where she experiences pain relief without sedation. I may have to make a judgement call on whether I drug her up to make her comfortable or let her muddle through alert and responsive, but possibly in pain. I suppose it depends on how long we have to wait for the dental from here. And unfortunately, that's going to be at least another week as I do want to take care of my car next week. I have been waiting two months for that appointment.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finished breakfast during third sleep. That seems to confirm the morning gabapentin is working for her even at this low 25 mg dose. It usually takes her most of the morning to finish breakfast. Let’s see how she does with lunch when that time comes. Yesterday she left a rather large remainder on lunch. 137 calories.

As for me, I’m mostly well now except I still have a fair amount of junk in my nose and lungs. I’m mostly okay as long as I’m medicated. So yeah. No taproom for me today.

And I got my first winter electric bill. It’s about twice what I was expecting. So we’re going to crawl the heat back a little and find our warm PJ’s to shave some money off next month’s bill. Since the radiator is on a smart plug and the Dysons have thermostats, it should be fairly easy to adjust the automation and add two or three “off” hours to the radiator plug and take a couple degrees off the Dyson thermostats.

In pre-pandemic years, the higher cost of gas (for the car) and the lower electric bill in the summer was offset by lower gas prices in the winter and higher electric bill. Since I’m not commuting, that’s certainly helped me avoid the worst of the highest gas prices. Yeah. I still filled a couple tanks this summer at $6+/gallon. But that’s better than doing that weekly. I can apply those gasoline savings to the electric bill and I probably don’t have to get too uncomfortable here. I mean this is my office and my home. It would make sense that my electric bill would be higher these days.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finished breakfast during third sleep. That seems to confirm the morning gabapentin is working for her even at this low 25 mg dose. It usually takes her most of the morning to finish breakfast. Let’s see how she does with lunch when that time comes. Yesterday she left a rather large remainder on lunch. 137 calories.

As for me, I’m mostly well now except I still have a fair amount of junk in my nose and lungs. I’m mostly okay as long as I’m medicated. So yeah. No taproom for me today.

And I got my first winter electric bill. It’s about twice what I was expecting. So we’re going to crawl the heat back a little and find our warm PJ’s to shave some money off next month’s bill. Since the radiator is on a smart plug and the Dysons have thermostats, it should be fairly easy to adjust the automation and add two or three “off” hours to the radiator plug and take a couple degrees off the Dyson thermostats.

In pre-pandemic years, the higher cost of gas (for the car) and the lower electric bill in the summer was offset by lower gas prices in the winter and higher electric bill. Since I’m not commuting, that’s certainly helped me avoid the worst of the highest gas prices. Yeah. I still filled a couple tanks this summer at $6+/gallon. But that’s better than doing that weekly. I can apply those gasoline savings to the electric bill and I probably don’t have to get too uncomfortable here. I mean this is my office and my home. It would make sense that my electric bill would be higher these days.
Yeah, when you factor it all into the equation, working AT an office saves us money unless the employer is so calculatedly avaricious that he/they/it works it out to the penny (which I don't doubt most of them do these days) to offset the cost of utilities via each employee. And yeah, with utlis being $$$ these days, it does make a lot of sense to try to stay warm, or cool as the case may be, with less. I've always done this. I may wear as many as 3 layers during the coldest winter days. My roomie wants the HVAC and makes it loudly known by sniffling continually (very annoying!) so we're doing that for the first time and I told her the bills will be a lot higher so let's see how he reacts to the first high gas bill! Heating a house this size doesn't come cheap. I actually prefer my way of doing things but if this heads off the sniffle-storm, I'm happy with that.
It's great that you and Betty have worked out a sweet spot with the gabapentin!
So hoping you have bagels and soup to make up for no taproom? and that you and Betty can curl up with some good stuff on TV/PC.
Looking forward to the weigh-in tomorrow.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, when you factor it all into the equation, working AT an office saves us money unless the employer is so calculatedly avaricious that he/they/it works it out to the penny (which I don't doubt most of them do these days) to offset the cost of utilities via each employee. And yeah, with utlis being $$$ these days, it does make a lot of sense to try to stay warm, or cool as the case may be, with less. I've always done this. I may wear as many as 3 layers during the coldest winter days. My roomie wants the HVAC and makes it loudly known by sniffling continually (very annoying!) so we're doing that for the first time and I told her the bills will be a lot higher so let's see how he reacts to the first high gas bill! Heating a house this size doesn't come cheap. I actually prefer my way of doing things but if this heads off the sniffle-storm, I'm happy with that.
It's great that you and Betty have worked out a sweet spot with the gabapentin!
So hoping you have bagels and soup to make up for no taproom? and that you and Betty can curl up with some good stuff on TV/PC.
Looking forward to the weigh-in tomorrow.
Yet another reason I prefer to rent over own. I don’t need that much square footage eating all my heating and cooling costs. Turns out I probably don’t even need to run the office Dyson at night. It warms up fast enough in the morning because the office is a small room. This apartment works well for me and a cat.

I need to go food shopping for more soup. And lox. I not only add lox to bagels, but I put it in my soup too to increase the protein content. Ramen with smoked salmon is quite tasty! I also need more cough syrup. As long as I still have more mucus than I need, I’m overmedicated on cough syrup. Because the alternative is much worse. I had a couple of coughing jags last week that ended with me bent over the sink with pink spits. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 I am taking the Mucinex DM every twelve hours and also a DM cough syrup every six. It also keeps me from getting too ambitious with my recovery. I’m not going to go to the taproom and pretend I’m no longer sick when I can’t see straight from my meds. I took my last cough syrup dose in the morning. When it wears off around lunch, I can go for a food and meds re-supply trip and hopefully make it back home before the coughing starts again. Betty did some bird watching this morning and now she’s sitting in my lap while I finish my coffee. I like her on 25 mg. She seems sufficiently alert and mobile and it’s a huge relief to not be staring at breakfast remainders all morning. I look forward to seeing her first pass on lunch.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another reason I prefer to rent over own. I don’t need that much square footage eating all my heating and cooling costs. Turns out I probably don’t even need to run the office Dyson at night. It warms up fast enough in the morning because the office is a small room. This apartment works well for me and a cat.

I need to go food shopping for more soup. And lox. I not only add lox to bagels, but I put it in my soup too to increase the protein content. Ramen with smoked salmon is quite tasty! I also need more cough syrup. As long as I still have more mucus than I need, I’m overmedicated on cough syrup. Because the alternative is much worse. I had a couple of coughing jags last week that ended with me bent over the sink with pink spits. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 I am taking the Mucinex DM every twelve hours and also a DM cough syrup every six. It also keeps me from getting too ambitious with my recovery. I’m not going to go to the taproom and pretend I’m no longer sick when I can’t see straight from my meds. I took my last cough syrup dose in the morning. When it wears off around lunch, I can go for a food and meds re-supply trip and hopefully make it back home before the coughing starts again. Betty did some bird watching this morning and now she’s sitting in my lap while I finish my coffee. I like her on 25 mg. She seems sufficiently alert and mobile and it’s a huge relief to not be staring at breakfast remainders all morning. I look forward to seeing her first pass on lunch.
Sounds like the perfect dose for Betty! for now, anyway.
Lox and ramen sounds MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Yeah, no way would I have been able to afford, much less even choose or need, this much space...and every bit of it is full! With me being a lifetime "3 R's" person and having 2 roomies, it happens. But I've lived happily in 332 sq. ft. with my then 3 cats. Little room a/c and little room heater were adequate and then some.
SNORGLES on Betty! and hoping your supply run goes well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That took way too long. I had to go to three stores again to get all I needed and still had to compromise because I didn’t want to go to a fourth. It’s been raining all day. All week actually. We had one day it didn’t rain last week. I took surface streets which made everything take longer as well. But I just don’t trust the freeways this early in the rainy season. And I don’t trust myself on the freeways this week. By the time I got back home, it was already 4 pm. I only came home an hour sooner than I would have had I gone to the taproom. But I would have had lunch. Oh well. I got plenty of soup and lox and bagels now. I probably won’t need to go anywhere tomorrow.

Lunch is nearly done. I’m okay with the tiny remainder because she needs to leave a tiny remainder to come in at target calories. But this tiny remainder is a lot smaller than the last couple of lunch remainders.😺👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That took way too long. I had to go to three stores again to get all I needed and still had to compromise because I didn’t want to go to a fourth. It’s been raining all day. All week actually. We had one day it didn’t rain last week. I took surface streets which made everything take longer as well. But I just don’t trust the freeways this early in the rainy season. And I don’t trust myself on the freeways this week. By the time I got back home, it was already 4 pm. I only came home an hour sooner than I would have had I gone to the taproom. But I would have had lunch. Oh well. I got plenty of soup and lox and bagels now. I probably won’t need to go anywhere tomorrow.

Lunch is nearly done. I’m okay with the tiny remainder because she needs to leave a tiny remainder to come in at target calories. But this tiny remainder is a lot smaller than the last couple of lunch remainders.😺👍
Time lost isn't good, but all in all, sounds like a successful day for you and Betty and now you get to enjoy the fruits, soups and bagels of your labors while Betty enjoys the meats. :hearthrob: :lovecat4::hearthrob:🥯🥯🥣🥩🍗🍖

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BABFC284-E626-4115-A958-683D3BA71EEF.jpeg
Doh! She’s gaining again.

Last week’s average calories was only 143.

Now that the gabapentin is helping her finish her plates, I have the unfortunate task of reducing portion sizes now. 😿 Honestly to make 145 calories, she’s going to have to lose 7 grams each from lunch and overnight. Let’s start with 5 grams each and see how she does.

Thanks to the gabapentin, breakfast is already in the books. 😺👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 438609
Doh! She’s gaining again.

Last week’s average calories was only 143.

Now that the gabapentin is helping her finish her plates, I have the unfortunate task of reducing portion sizes now. 😿 Honestly to make 145 calories, she’s going to have to lose 7 grams each from lunch and overnight. Let’s start with 5 grams each and see how she does.

Thanks to the gabapentin, breakfast is already in the books. 😺👍
Betty: "Dad. DAD! What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I will if you will. I won't, though, if you won't. And BTW, I'm HUNGRY. LOX sounds good right about now. With a little cream cheese." :hearthrob: :cutecat::hearthrob:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty: "Dad. DAD! What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I will if you will. I won't, though, if you won't. And BTW, I'm HUNGRY. LOX sounds good right about now. With a little cream cheese." :hearthrob: :cutecat::hearthrob:
Is Betty telling me I need to reduce my own portion sizes? That's probably true. I've gained back all the weight I lost to Covid and then some. Someone seeing me after Covid said to me, "you've lost weight" and I replied, "not to worry, I'm sure I'll find it again." 🤦‍♂️

I'm thinking I'll likely "hygge" it up for the rest of the month and then go keto again in January. I could shed ten and be comfortable again.

Betty feels good, though. There's good padding on her pelvis, spine, and rib cage now. Though she does look more bean bag than triangle when she sits.
More :redtabby: than :whiskers:

I can relate! 🤦‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Betty telling me I need to reduce my own portion sizes? That's probably true. I've gained back all the weight I lost to Covid and then some. Someone seeing me after Covid said to me, "you've lost weight" and I replied, "not to worry, I'm sure I'll find it again." 🤦‍♂️

I'm thinking I'll likely "hygge" it up for the rest of the month and then go keto again in January. I could shed ten and be comfortable again.

Betty feels good, though. There's good padding on her pelvis, spine, and rib cage now. Though she does look more bean bag than triangle when she sits.
More :redtabby: than :whiskers:

I can relate! 🤦‍♂️
Nothing at all wrong with that and I wasn't disparaging you in any way...just so you know. I was just joking around, about what Betty might be thinking;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 how is betty white doing ?
Her IBD seems stable. We’ve paused the pred tapering to come back to her dental that was supposed to happen in February before her IBD sidetracked it. Unfortunately, after waiting almost two months for the appointment, doc had a family emergency. Then I got sick and couldn’t make his makeup date. But a bittersweet discovery out of last week’s cancellation was that she ate better that day after being drugged up on gabapentin before the vet trip that didn’t happen. I relayed that to the vet and we both agree that there may be some dental pain behind her sluggish appetite. Through a little research and experimentation, it would seem I have found a dose for her that relieves pain with minimum sedation.

Except cats being cats, Betty is taking her time on breakfast today. 🤦🏼‍♂️ It’s entirely possible that this morning’s gabapentin was on the short side. It’s not an exact science splitting one of those capsules four ways. A short capsule here means a fatter capsule somewhere else. So if she doesn’t quite clean these plates, she’ll clean them on another gabapentin dose.

For now, I’m trying to keep her comfortable with the gabapentin and not changing anything else until we can finally get her a dental that’s long overdue.

Thanks for asking! It gives me the opportunity to distance myself from the here and now and reflect. Given the year she’s had, I would say she is doing well. But I don’t like that she needs gabapentin to eat well. I will be much relieved when we finally have that dental.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty finished breakfast at the last possible moment. Then she cleared lunch with an hour to spare. So clearly the gabapentin is still working. She’s just on a different eating schedule today. She’s snoozing off her first pass in my lap. I’m sure soon enough she’ll finish up dinner.

I think she started gaining again because she’s getting extra A/D with the gabapentin. New calories I don’t track. 🤦🏼‍♂️

And her cute little ears must have warmed up because she has just left my lap to finish off dinner. 🐷👍