Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clean plate. 😋

Everyday, "omg she hasn't eaten yet. we're going to fall behind. she's going to waste away."
And later that day, "dang girl! you're finished already? that means you're going to pester me an hour early for a whole hour."

I'm hoping the history we're building in her food journal will help me take the worries and concerns out of her care and feeding soon enough.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Really sounds as if you’re turning a corner! Perhaps it also just takes time to create that mind/gut connection of knowing you have a really good new owner, knowing the chow is dependable and delicious, and the comfort of daily snuggles. Assuages and relaxes her internal anxiety possibly left over from the previous owner?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really sounds as if you’re turning a corner! Perhaps it also just takes time to create that mind/gut connection of knowing you have a really good new owner, knowing the chow is dependable and delicious, and the comfort of daily snuggles. Assuages and relaxes her internal anxiety possibly left over from the previous owner?

I certainly think something is still going on. I also think the poop pills, her other meds, and the prescription food are definitely helping. Yes. I think she’s turning a corner. No. I don’t think she’s out of the woods yet as she’s right now burping after dinner. We go through this every night. She has several burps and licks, and a few tense moments of loafing. Then she starts grooming and I know the moment has passed.

Getting there though… 🤞

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly think something is still going on. I also think the poop pills, her other meds, and the prescription food are definitely helping. Yes. I think she’s turning a corner. No. I don’t think she’s out of the woods yet as she’s right now burping after dinner. We go through this every night. She has several burps and licks, and a few tense moments of loafing. Then she starts grooming and I know the moment has passed.

Getting there though… 🤞
"Getting there" is very good. And yeah, RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRR! what a FURocious FEERRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Betty has!
I save tags, too, and when I have my yearly shredding party I save even receipts that are important.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Getting there" is very good. And yeah, RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRR! what a FURocious FEERRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Betty has!
I save tags, too, and when I have my yearly shredding party I save even receipts that are important.
I'm a fan of the scan and shred. I probably should have done that with the poof label. I don't honestly have a reason to go back to that particular food and feed store now that Betty eats exclusively prescription food. But if I do, I'll be sure to take a picture of the poof label if they still have them in stock.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plated more than I intended on the overnight and didn't feel like trying to reduce the portion. Betty cleaned the plate anyway and now she's all caught up on the calories she missed the other day. 176 on the acid spit day, 185 yesterday.

This morning I got another after-breakfast Betty bib with her face smears. 🍔😽🤦‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plated more than I intended on the overnight and didn't feel like trying to reduce the portion. Betty cleaned the plate anyway and now she's all caught up on the calories she missed the other day. 176 on the acid spit day, 185 yesterday.

This morning I got another after-breakfast Betty bib with her face smears. 🍔😽🤦‍♂️
THOSE make it all worthwhile, don't they? *Because you're WORTH it!* :catlove: I get Elvis mouthsniffs from time to time. He's always disappointed, though, except on the very, very rare occasions when I indulge in tuna salad. Baby Su has pretty much given up on there being anything even remotely interesting on my tray. *Nah! You have the opposable thumbs and you're handy with a scoop, so I guess I'll keep ya. But you COULD be more roomie and eat fish. And chicken. And beef.*:angrycat:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Geoffrey just came home from his endoscopy and 2 biopsies. The IMVet called me. The mucosa looked normal, no masses, irregularities.. but they still biopsied 2 areas... no take home meds...
You have to remember, I live in Boston area. The procedure was done at Angell Animal Medical Center.. a huge place..
I am really happy with the care. And the staff. They are so caring to all the animals in there.. not just certain ones.. always someone coming by to comfort, pat, an animal who seems upset.. So different from the place I took Artie to...

The estimate was from $1900-$2900.... I do not know why they do this, but... the final cost was $2500. It included al the charges: Cerenia, 12 hours or less in the hospital, -- all the miscellaneous fees, which I would have thought would have been include in the estimate--but was not.... I put it on my CareCredit Card. I keep that just for Geoffrey.

It is done. I am glad I did it... Geoffrey is ok--just skittish and hiding. He woke me up at 3 AM looking for food...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 Geoffrey just came home from his endoscopy and 2 biopsies. The IMVet called me. The mucosa looked normal, no masses, irregularities.. but they still biopsied 2 areas... no take home meds...
You have to remember, I live in Boston area. The procedure was done at Angell Animal Medical Center.. a huge place..
I am really happy with the care. And the staff. They are so caring to all the animals in there.. not just certain ones.. always someone coming by to comfort, pat, an animal who seems upset.. So different from the place I took Artie to...

The estimate was from $1900-$2900.... I do not know why they do this, but... the final cost was $2500. It included al the charges: Cerenia, 12 hours or less in the hospital, -- all the miscellaneous fees, which I would have thought would have been include in the estimate--but was not.... I put it on my CareCredit Card. I keep that just for Geoffrey.

It is done. I am glad I did it... Geoffrey is ok--just skittish and hiding. He woke me up at 3 AM looking for food...
Expensive, but if there is a way to do it, as you have wisely arranged, it is certainly reassuring. *PRAYERS* Geoffrey's good health and wellbeing! Angell has an excellent reputation. SNORGLES on Geoffrey from me, and from Baby Su and Elvis, too, I'm sure ;)
IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just when I think I have this cat figured out....

At 12:30 pm, "okay, I'm going to give you your whole daytime portion because yesterday you paced yourself and I don't want to worry about you eating half portions and falling behind if you don't wake up in time for second half portion."

I wasn't expecting her to even start into it. But start she did and nearly finish it in one go she did as well. Now she's chirping and quacking and angling for a tweener. The siren has not yet gone off.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, on the pre/pro biotic, and egg yolk, front for the Big Furry beastie here, a wellness check will be happening in a couple of weeks but in the meanwhile his spine and ribs are a bit less noticeable when petting him. He did throw up a hairball the other day so I wondered if I need to proceed with increasing the amount of the powdered egg yolk, which I have done.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, on the pre/pro biotic, and egg yolk, front for the Big Furry beastie here, a wellness check will be happening in a couple of weeks but in the meanwhile his spine and ribs are a bit less noticeable when petting him. He did throw up a hairball the other day so I wondered if I need to proceed with increasing the amount of the powdered egg yolk, which I have done.
If you think you can get him to eat a daily capsule like Betty does, I recommend the poop pills that Betty is taking. We haven't seen a hairball since starting them and wow! Her appetite has really taken off in the last week or two. I mean I know she's on an appetite stimulant, but that doesn't fix the tiny portions she was eating before. When she started the mirtz, 20 grams seemed to be her portion size limit. Today she ate nearly 38 grams in one go at lunch time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awesome, I'll definitely consider that, thank you :) I honestly don't know if I can get a pill down him but I'm regularly handfeeding him for his milk thistle that he won't eat on his own, so there's a possibility...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome, I'll definitely consider that, thank you :) I honestly don't know if I can get a pill down him but I'm regularly handfeeding him for his milk thistle that he won't eat on his own, so there's a possibility...
It's a size four capsule that cannot be opened. Not unless you want to give him a mouthful of dried poop that will be useless when it gets to the gut.

Restore Cat and Dog Gut Health - AnimalBiome

You could also try the Pet Flora from Vitality Science which has been well-received by both Betty and Krista--neither seemed to mind eating the dirt. I believe these are also size four capsules. You could get a Finnicky Cat Trial Pack to get a sample of the Flora. Empty half the capsule, because a whole capsule is too much to start with. If you can get a Pet Flora capsule in him, you should be able to get the AnimalBiome capsules into him. And since you just ordered the Trial Pack, you could see how a course of the Pet Flora treats him before you order the FMT pills.

Finicky Cat Trial Pack - Vitality Science

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just when I think I have this cat figured out....

At 12:30 pm, "okay, I'm going to give you your whole daytime portion because yesterday you paced yourself and I don't want to worry about you eating half portions and falling behind if you don't wake up in time for second half portion."

I wasn't expecting her to even start into it. But start she did and nearly finish it in one go she did as well. Now she's chirping and quacking and angling for a tweener. The siren has not yet gone off.
"...Now she's chirping and quacking and angling for a tweener..." Can you get that on audio for us, please? Cats have around 100 vocalizations, and I'm pretty sure I've heard most of them. But I have NEVER heard a cat quack. Our beloved angel Tara was known to "cuckoo." Yes, really. But quack? :shocked:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"...Now she's chirping and quacking and angling for a tweener..." Can you get that on audio for us, please? Cats have around 100 vocalizations, and I'm pretty sure I've heard most of them. But I have NEVER heard a cat quack. Our beloved angel Tara was known to "cuckoo." Yes, really. But quack? :shocked:
It doesn’t really sound like a quack. I just needed something to call it. If a chirp is short and sharp, a quack is bit longer. A chirp is mostly a statement where a quack is starting to border on a request. I’ll get chirps when she’s happy in my lap. They turn to quacks when she’s getting hungry but not quite hungry enough to turn on the siren.

This is what I’m calling her quacks. They are just longer chirps. Second video.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And for reference, the first one is definitely a chirp. The other two are not quite quacks but getting there. Betty has quite the vocabulary and I’ve put it upon myself to learn all her vocalizations and guess what they mean. And sometimes give them a name. You should hear her grumble squeak when she’s trying to nap in my lap and I have to shift. 😾🐭