Introducing Betty White

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks like a good starter option for her until I find something else.
FRISCO Eyelash Fur Round Elevated Cat Bed, Ivory - Chewy.com
That looks like it was designed with Betty in mind! Which color will you choose? And check out that sunflower scratcher on the bottom of the page! Probably geared/sized more for kittens, but I like it. A lot.
Cats can be very hard to guesstimate as to age. Just praying and hoping for Betty to thrive and have good health!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks like it was designed with Betty in mind! Which color will you choose? And check out that sunflower scratcher on the bottom of the page! Probably geared/sized more for kittens, but I like it. A lot.
Cats can be very hard to guesstimate as to age. Just praying and hoping for Betty to thrive and have good health!!!
I would get it in a gray. I wish I could be trusted with whites. Betty cleans herself. That’s the only way I could agree to a white cat. 😹

Betty is a carpet scratcher. One more tree (or sunflower) isn’t going to change her mind.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get it in a gray. I wish I could be trusted with whites. Betty cleans herself. That’s the only way I could agree to a white cat. 😹

Betty is a carpet scratcher. One more tree (or sunflower) isn’t going to change her mind.
Yeah, white is impossible. My ex insisted on white for our dining room chair upholstery (choice of white or navy at Ikea) and a friend crocheted some really nice soft yellow and white cat blankets in a size that works, uh, PURRfectly :clapcat: *Not that Baby Su or Elvis ever jump on them, but with my roomies being rather casual in their eating habits, it's a lot easier to clean them than it is to take the chair covers off, wash, and re-apply. I do have a replacement set of the white chair covers, though. Because, you know.*

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread for almost THREE MONTHS but I'm glad I found it now!

I'm so happy to meet Betty White! She's a cutie, just like her older sisters 🌈 . And did she found herself a good family with you! Just followed you on Instagram too.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how I managed to miss this thread for almost THREE MONTHS but I'm glad I found it now!

I'm so happy to meet Betty White! She's a cutie, just like her older sisters 🌈 . And did she found herself a good family with you! Just followed you on Instagram too.
not quite two months yet 😽

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a cat bed for her to get her up off the floor when I watch baseball and she wants to sit next to me. Because she’s still not up to lap sitting yet.
236DDF2C-97F7-461D-A986-1E2AB8918676.jpeg E7394FB0-C114-4C52-B064-D6D15BDDCCE7.jpeg 26910581-3037-4C26-988B-BB8BF54AE952.jpeg A6C2E456-4EE5-4F64-9B9D-F7961BEBB5D3.jpeg
I think she likes it. 😻💤

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she could smell/taste the 1/32 tsp of egg yolk powder in last night’s dinner. Or maybe she was simply more interested in her new nest than food. But she barely ate anything last night. 🤦🏼‍♂️ She didn’t seem nauseated though. I finally found a treat she likes so I got something in her instead of resorting to the yolk squirt. It’s a freeze-dried rabbit treat. Anyway. She still seemed perky and alert and I wasn’t convinced that she would benefit from egg yolk. I decided to simply let it play out. And revisit in the morning with fresh food. Well, she got through the night with no tummy disturbances and was perky and demanding in the morning. For fuss anyway. Her morning demands are rarely for food. They just seem that way until I put the plate down. But this time, I started the rabbit transition with her. 1/2 Rawz rabbit and 1/2 FF in a Bettty-sized 20 gram potion. We are 90 minutes into the wait. She seems peaceful enough curled in her new bed next to me. If she’s good in another 90 minutes, I’ll plate another 50/50 portion. I feel better with a more aggressive split because she’s already had this food before and it treated her well enough back then too.

I didn’t want to rush back into Rawz rabbit with the new cat. But I’m not convinced an FF turkey is much better than FF chicken. At least for her. Might as well just skip to the one that works. And I have the rest of her life to see if she will also eat the other, more common Rawz flavors. 🤞

Update: She talked me into a second portion. She’s also telling me to finish my cup of coffee so we can go back to bed for snuggles. I think the Rawz is going to be a hit for her. She might not even be a nibbler after all. 🐷😳

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love that video!!!
AND the UPdate!
AND her new bed! Looks like a very comfy, blissful one. (Wondering if they make those in human size?)
So happy about her latest forays into Piggieville (Yes, that's a word. I just made it one.)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better bed shots in the morning vs evening light. I too would love a human size version of this.
37D19F25-6A00-4798-9FCF-315577998D93.jpeg 638E218D-6E4E-4865-939E-E49DCE5A7660.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hopes that she would become a piggy with better food have not proven out yet. I think her new poof has distracted her from nighttime eating. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I will test that theory by placing the big portion in the front room tonight. (Based on her previous habits, an ounce in the front room and two in the office used to be ideal.) After once again joining the clean plate club during the day, she was getting a much slower start to the night. At lights out when she still hasn’t touched first dinner, I plated 100% rabbit instead of 50/50 with FF. That did it. She ate that portion. She also ate the ounce in the front room (eventually) and half of the remainder when I moved it to the front room at about 5am. So for a night of slow eating, she did still eat 3/4 of her allotment. This morning has been noticeably slower. Sure. She did have some at 5. But that was hours ago. I was able to coax more in her with powdered freeze dried Stella and Chewy’s. But here we are at 10:30 and barely anything has left her breakfast plates. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔 At least she doesn’t look nauseated. 🤞

But yeah. The rabbit transition is in full force. It was basically a crash switch as I already know it treats her well and she seems to prefer it over FF anyway.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hopes that she would become a piggy with better food have not proven out yet. I think her new poof has distracted her from nighttime eating. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I will test that theory by placing the big portion in the front room tonight. (Based on her previous habits, an ounce in the front room and two in the office used to be ideal.) After once again joining the clean plate club during the day, she was getting a much slower start to the night. At lights out when she still hasn’t touched first dinner, I plated 100% rabbit instead of 50/50 with FF. That did it. She ate that portion. She also ate the ounce in the front room (eventually) and half of the remainder when I moved it to the front room at about 5am. So for a night of slow eating, she did still eat 3/4 of her allotment. This morning has been noticeably slower. Sure. She did have some at 5. But that was hours ago. I was able to coax more in her with powdered freeze dried Stella and Chewy’s. But here we are at 10:30 and barely anything has left her breakfast plates. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔 At least she doesn’t look nauseated. 🤞

But yeah. The rabbit transition is in full force. It was basically a crash switch as I already know it treats her well and she seems to prefer it over FF anyway.
Hoping she continues doing well with that and that you can always access it for her! I'd guess that Betty, like a lot of us, has her days of being hungry and others of not-so-much. Some days I sort of force myself to eat because I know I should. So I can empathize with her if that's what's going on. Maybe a strenuous game of da Bird or Cat Dancer would work up an appetite?
Time for my jalapeno bagel 😋

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping she continues doing well with that and that you can always access it for her! I'd guess that Betty, like a lot of us, has her days of being hungry and others of not-so-much. Some days I sort of force myself to eat because I know I should. So I can empathize with her if that's what's going on. Maybe a strenuous game of da Bird or Cat Dancer would work up an appetite?
Time for my jalapeno bagel 😋
I got her to eat a few more bites with the S&C freeze dried topper. But I don’t want to keep needling her to eat a few more bites. I want to find a food that she’s excited about that also treats her right.

It is entirely possible that we’re doing this transition too fast even though she doesn’t look nauseated. But I don’t want to go back to FF. I thought about it this weekend and if she was someone else’s cat and someone else was posting about her struggles, I would encourage a change to better food.

She was so loud and insistent earlier this morning. And it’s almost never food she’s interested in. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Anyway, I’m going to try to help her by not trying so hard to help her. If she doesn’t come around to eat more by dinner, I may have to back up to 50/50 with the FF. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But for now, I’ll just give her the afternoon to decide if she’s going to be hungry enough to nibble some more. 🤞 Or maybe even finish half her food today. That would be okay by me. For today anyway.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got her to eat a few more bites with the S&C freeze dried topper. But I don’t want to keep needling her to eat a few more bites. I want to find a food that she’s excited about that also treats her right.

It is entirely possible that we’re doing this transition too fast even though she doesn’t look nauseated. But I don’t want to go back to FF. I thought about it this weekend and if she was someone else’s cat and someone else was posting about her struggles, I would encourage a change to better food.

She was so loud and insistent earlier this morning. And it’s almost never food she’s interested in. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Anyway, I’m going to try to help her by not trying so hard to help her. If she doesn’t come around to eat more by dinner, I may have to back up to 50/50 with the FF. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But for now, I’ll just give her the afternoon to decide if she’s going to be hungry enough to nibble some more. 🤞 Or maybe even finish half her food today. That would be okay by me. For today anyway.
Yeah. Some cats, like Baby Su, seem to love the egging on attention of a human standing over them and encouraging them verbally. Maybe that goes back to thinking another predator is standing in the wings waiting to take over if they don't eat it all. Others, not at all on the encouraging. *Betty, which kind of cat are you? Tell your dad!*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Some cats, like Baby Su, seem to love the egging on attention of a human standing over them and encouraging them verbally. Maybe that goes back to thinking another predator is standing in the wings waiting to take over if they don't eat it all. Others, not at all on the encouraging. *Betty, which kind of cat are you? Tell your dad!*
She’s usually the “Fuss me now. I’ll feed myself later type.” Fuss over food.

Murphy’s Cat Law would tell me that she would probably eat if I mixed some FF in it. But I’m trying to get the FF out. And anyway, it didn’t seem to help that much last night. She seemed ready to go 100% rabbit when she wouldn’t touch the 50/50 but ate the 100% portion last night. Maybe we go to 75/25. I also have Vital Essentials in the raw rabbit patties. But let’s not throw the kitchen sink at that sensitive gut of hers.