Introducing Betty White

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand hunger strike the last two nights. But this morning hasn't been hot. And the last two mornings she hasn't had trouble either. One thing I wonder is that she had an extra poop or two yesterday. Other than the "southern hairball", nothing seemed too amiss about them other than the frequency. I don't know. I'm in hover mode waiting for the next hairball to fall. She seems unsettled this morning like it may be coming. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow. I'm trying to set a course and stick to it rather than steer with the tides.

I was reading a bit more on AnimalBiome. It sounds like for particularly stubborn cases, the Gut Restore supplement (the poop pills) can be an ongoing part of treatment. I also found the email indicating that they received her "after" test--the email I thought had never came. If the "after" report shows improvement, I would like to send one more "three weeks later" sample in for testing before I start her on another bottle. If Betty's eating stabilizes once more, perhaps we can send a one month later sample instead. I want to see if her current diet might be backsliding her biome and if those kinds of changes can be detected so quickly.
Good strategizing. Hoping Betty will rediscover her appetite! Baby Su and Elvis continue ignoring one of their absolute faves this morning. So Betty, you're not alone. And it's a pleasant 74F here now. Heat is no excuse. It's not noisy, either. Nothing is going on that's justifiable reason for foodstriking. :sigh:
BTW, I got this the other day and thought of Betty. Massaging Shell Cat Comb

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good strategizing. Hoping Betty will rediscover her appetite! Baby Su and Elvis continue ignoring one of their absolute faves this morning. So Betty, you're not alone. And it's a pleasant 74F here now. Heat is no excuse. It's not noisy, either. Nothing is going on that's justifiable reason for foodstriking. :sigh:
BTW, I got this the other day and thought of Betty. Massaging Shell Cat Comb
It’s not a hunger strike per se. She just doesn’t seem to want to eat these two medicine meals—when, where, or how I am plating them isn’t agreeing with her sensibilities or preferences. But…if I just take the food from plate to carpet (I tried simply putting the plate on the carpet), she will eat from the carpet. Sometimes I can get her started on the carpet and have her finish on the plate. But this morning, she wanted nothing of the plate. But she ate all but the liquid that I couldn’t easily pick up off the plate and deposit on the carpet. Now that it’s lunchtime and I simply drop a plate, give a couple pets, and disappear to another room, she’s going to town and will likely finish her lunch in one go. So…🤷🏼‍♂️

And then we do the evening fussies all over again for first dinner. By second dinner and the overnight, she’ll be eating without any arguments or fuss. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s not a hunger strike per se. She just doesn’t seem to want to eat these two medicine meals—when, where, or how I am plating them isn’t agreeing with her sensibilities or preferences. But…if I just take the food from plate to carpet (I tried simply putting the plate on the carpet), she will eat from the carpet. Sometimes I can get her started on the carpet and have her finish on the plate. But this morning, she wanted nothing of the plate. But she ate all but the liquid that I couldn’t easily pick up off the plate and deposit on the carpet. Now that it’s lunchtime and I simply drop a plate, give a couple pets, and disappear to another room, she’s going to town and will likely finish her lunch in one go. So…🤷🏼‍♂️

And then we do the evening fussies all over again for first dinner. By second dinner and the overnight, she’ll be eating without any arguments or fuss. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
There's something about the texture of the carpet that she seems to prefer over the texture of her plates. Hmmmm.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's something about the texture of the carpet that she seems to prefer over the texture of her plates. Hmmmm.
For only those two meals?? 🤔

She eats off the same plate for her other three meals. 🤷‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My folks actually did send me a square of artificial turf to use a feeding square of carpet for her. Unfortunately, artificial or not, this looks like Betty candy for a pica cat. Fortunately, I have not seen pica behaviors from her in a while. But I certainly wouldn't want to tempt her.

One idea I'm playing with in my head is to sweeten the A/D mix just for those two meals since I still have the freshly opened A/D can before it goes into the fridge.

Another idea is that the time between overnight and breakfast and lunch to dinner is the two longest times between meals. Perhaps she might need a primer portion to simply get the tummy ready for a whole meal.

I don't like either idea. But I can't keep feeding her off the carpet either.

A third option is to turn the Mirataz dose back up. I had reduced it to 2/3 of what she was previously getting. Perhaps that was premature. Though she doesn't have an issue with her other meals.

A fourth option, which I just may try tomorrow (thinking I may give her one more chance tonight to return to "normal") is to wait for mid meal to pill her. Maybe she's getting a little too eager trying to bite into the capsule and has medicine mouth. Though she doesn't look like she has medicine mouth or drooling or frothing or any of that. I wonder what would happen if I simply stuck the pill in her food and let her go to town. Would she lick and flick or gobble it all up?

Some food for thought...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the clamshell scratcher. Betty likes the feel of it. But it doesn’t do anything to de-shed her. I keep one next to the bed. But I forget to use it. Probably because Betty gets the burps shortly after we start to cuddle. I just let her burp it out until we get back to bunting and purrs. Before anyone asks, it’s not burps like beer. But she does get a little something for lack of a better word, that resembles a little burp and then she does a couple quick lip licks like she’s swallowing it back down. I don’t think she’s bringing up anything but gas. She does take up a lot of air when she eats and that pit sit position is probably better than most to dislodge it. Better up than down. 😹👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My folks actually did send me a square of artificial turf to use a feeding square of carpet for her. Unfortunately, artificial or not, this looks like Betty candy for a pica cat. Fortunately, I have not seen pica behaviors from her in a while. But I certainly wouldn't want to tempt her.

One idea I'm playing with in my head is to sweeten the A/D mix just for those two meals since I still have the freshly opened A/D can before it goes into the fridge.

Another idea is that the time between overnight and breakfast and lunch to dinner is the two longest times between meals. Perhaps she might need a primer portion to simply get the tummy ready for a whole meal.

I don't like either idea. But I can't keep feeding her off the carpet either.

A third option is to turn the Mirataz dose back up. I had reduced it to 2/3 of what she was previously getting. Perhaps that was premature. Though she doesn't have an issue with her other meals.

A fourth option, which I just may try tomorrow (thinking I may give her one more chance tonight to return to "normal") is to wait for mid meal to pill her. Maybe she's getting a little too eager trying to bite into the capsule and has medicine mouth. Though she doesn't look like she has medicine mouth or drooling or frothing or any of that. I wonder what would happen if I simply stuck the pill in her food and let her go to town. Would she lick and flick or gobble it all up?

Some food for thought...
Some ideas to try...and yeah, I didn't think that scratcher would be effective for brushing, but thought she might like the feel of it as a cuddling adjunct.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m going to try the primer portion. She came in at 5:15 with such a sad mew that I don’t think I could listen to that for another 45 minutes. I gave her the tip or a forkful or about 4 or 5 grams at 5:30. I’ll simply subtract that from her dinner portion. But hopefully her stomach will be more ready for a meal not having chewed on itself for an hour or three straight.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Primer portion seemed to have worked. She still left a tiny remainder about the size of her primer portion. But I'm okay with that. She'll get to it before it's time for second dinner. Even though I said I wouldn't play catch up, I didn't downsize her dinner by the size of the primer portion because the shortfall of her breakfast is about the size of her primer portion. In other words, she will be all caught up by the end of the night.

I also sneaked the dirt into her gel cap repack (after I put her quarter pills in.) So even if I'm not convinced that she likes the dirt or tolerates it well enough in her food, I can stealthily get some into her all the same.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooops! 🤦🏼‍♂️

I prepared her breakfast and pilled her and was impressed that she ate breakfast in one go once more.

Except it’s not breakfast time! 🤦🏼‍♂️

She’s unlikely to be harmed by the extra dose of meds. We’ll be skipping the morning dose and should be back on track by evening.

I was wondering why she was having after breakfast zoomies. 😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooops! 🤦🏼‍♂️

I prepared her breakfast and pilled her and was impressed that she ate breakfast in one go once more.

Except it’s not breakfast time! 🤦🏼‍♂️

She’s unlikely to be harmed by the extra dose of meds. We’ll be skipping the morning dose and should be back on track by evening.

I was wondering why she was having after breakfast zoomies. 😹
Hopefully it'll all work! ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Extra food? I'll take it!" :lovecat3:
Oh no! It wasn't extra food. She actually got short-changed.

When my alarm went off last night, I thought it was the 6am alarm. So I changed out the food and prepared her 6am meds and medicine meal. Then I pilled her off the carpet last night and was so delighted and impressed that she ate her breakfast all in one go after prior morning fussies.

And then something confusing happened. She had post-breakfast zoomies. She doesn't have post-breakfast zoomies. She's a post-breakfast siren because she wants me to come back to bed for more cuddles. It wasn't until I laid back down with her, and picked up my phone that I saw it was actually 1am, her overnight meal alarm. 🤦‍♂️

Because I made it a medicine meal, she got shorted a few grams she normally would have had on an overnight meal. And she got a second dose of pills 5 hours sooner than her regularly scheduled dose.

On the other paw, her actual breakfast this morning went a lot quicker because I didn't have a pill to prepare, a new feeding shift's food mix to make, washing the prior shift's dishes, etc. I debated whether to prepare a dirt gelcap. But figured I pilled her enough. She gets a freebie morning and we'll get back on proper dosing schedule with evening medicine meal.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! It wasn't extra food. She actually got short-changed.

When my alarm went off last night, I thought it was the 6am alarm. So I changed out the food and prepared her 6am meds and medicine meal. Then I pilled her off the carpet last night and was so delighted and impressed that she ate her breakfast all in one go after prior morning fussies.

And then something confusing happened. She had post-breakfast zoomies. She doesn't have post-breakfast zoomies. She's a post-breakfast siren because she wants me to come back to bed for more cuddles. It wasn't until I laid back down with her, and picked up my phone that I saw it was actually 1am, her overnight meal alarm. 🤦‍♂️

Because I made it a medicine meal, she got shorted a few grams she normally would have had on an overnight meal. And she got a second dose of pills 5 hours sooner than her regularly scheduled dose.

On the other paw, her actual breakfast this morning went a lot quicker because I didn't have a pill to prepare, a new feeding shift's food mix to make, washing the prior shift's dishes, etc. I debated whether to prepare a dirt gelcap. But figured I pilled her enough. She gets a freebie morning and we'll get back on proper dosing schedule with evening medicine meal.
Ah. Well, a little extra COULD be slipped in there... :lovecat3: ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. Well, a little extra COULD be slipped in there... :lovecat3: ;)
I took out a big chunk of chicken from the freshly opened I/D stew can and put that on the floor for her. That primed her appetite. She quickly joined me on the counter for the rest of meal prep. I spent some time this afternoon cutting new pills and packing the soil-based probiotic into those repacked gel caps with her other meds. There’s not enough dirt in those repacks. The size five gel caps are smaller than the threes or fours that that the dirt comes in. She won’t get a full dose of the dirt in a day. But it’s better than nothing until I’m convinced that mixing it with food is not creating any of her fussies.

Oh and dinner is finished. 🐷👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a return of the morning fussies. I just had her pill herself like a pro and snub the rest of the meal. I managed to get her to eat about 2/3–most off the carpet, some off the plate. That’ll do, Donkey. I left the remainder for the remainder of her morning. She has five and half hours until lunch. She’ll finish it. Or bring up the next hairball. 🤦🏼‍♂️