Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May Elvis and I suggest Blue Buffalo Wilderness flaked Trout, Chicken & Trout, and Chicken & Turkey, then. These are favorites of Elvis and they just may hit the spot with Betty, too.
I am still a little hesitant with fish. And Betty so far hasn't shown much interest in fish. But for a new cake frosting, I'll get her caviar if she'll eat it (and it's good for her.) But only the cheap stuff. 😾 :p Still gotta afford those vet bills.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still a little hesitant with fish. And Betty so far hasn't shown much interest in fish. But for a new cake frosting, I'll get her caviar if she'll eat it (and it's good for her.) But only the cheap stuff. 😾 :p Still gotta afford those vet bills.
Chicken & turkey? There are also some good pate types, Blue Buffalo Tastefuls Chicken, and same, Beef

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Geoffrey is not a fan of fish. Not at all. Before he was on a prescription diet, I gave him fish-- all different types-- not for him. He does not even care for people tuna. He loves the tuna juice, but the tuna itself-- nah..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elvis isn't a huge fan of tuna, or salmon, though he does like the trout, and chicken & trout is his favorite, along with chicken & turkey. Maybe Betty just craves some additional variety, something new?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista was a huge fish fan. Likely didn't do her any favors. But it did bring her joy and got us through some rough spots (that may have been caused by the fish in the first place). But oh well! That's literally neither here nor there now.

Betty ate a salmon flavored pill pocket blank. Once. That may have been the first and last time I saw her eat fish.

I'm going to call Wedgewood next week and see if they can give me unmedicated flavor samples to run past Betty before we compound a prescription. I'm also thinking the chicken flavored capsules may not be all that. Or that she doesn't like the color orange. Or a million other reasons why she knows the capsule is there and will stop mid-eating to avoid eating it. "You will not trick me!" 😾

Which brings us to tonight. After trying to sneak a capsule into her food all day long, and trying a couple frosting and sprinkles options including Blue Buffalo chicken pate (not a fan! 😾), I said enough is enough. I pulled the full 1 mL (50 mg) dose on the big syringe and I'm pretty sure I gagged it all into her. Also not a fan! 😾 But if she's eating again tonight like she was earlier in the week, then it seems pretty convincing that we need to both figure out a better way to get it into her and figure out why she still needs it in the first place.

I know the dentist will take forever to get an appointment. So I may as well as make that call next week as I fill up my vacation week with calls and errands I should have done a lot sooner if not for work and cat from home duties. As long as we're waiting for the dentist appointment, we may as well try the easy stuff--put her back on pred. I'll get that compounded into the transdermal pen if I can't get those capsules into her. But I'm hoping I will just need maybe a mirtz and gabapentin jumpstart to get the fuss bus back on her regular stops through meds town. And while we're at the IM, one or the other of us will get to say, "I told you so!" I'm hoping I'm not on the receiving end.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista was a huge fish fan. Likely didn't do her any favors. But it did bring her joy and got us through some rough spots (that may have been caused by the fish in the first place). But oh well! That's literally neither here nor there now.

Betty ate a salmon flavored pill pocket blank. Once. That may have been the first and last time I saw her eat fish.

I'm going to call Wedgewood next week and see if they can give me unmedicated flavor samples to run past Betty before we compound a prescription. I'm also thinking the chicken flavored capsules may not be all that. Or that she doesn't like the color orange. Or a million other reasons why she knows the capsule is there and will stop mid-eating to avoid eating it. "You will not trick me!" 😾

Which brings us to tonight. After trying to sneak a capsule into her food all day long, and trying a couple frosting and sprinkles options including Blue Buffalo chicken pate (not a fan! 😾), I said enough is enough. I pulled the full 1 mL (50 mg) dose on the big syringe and I'm pretty sure I gagged it all into her. Also not a fan! 😾 But if she's eating again tonight like she was earlier in the week, then it seems pretty convincing that we need to both figure out a better way to get it into her and figure out why she still needs it in the first place.

I know the dentist will take forever to get an appointment. So I may as well as make that call next week as I fill up my vacation week with calls and errands I should have done a lot sooner if not for work and cat from home duties. As long as we're waiting for the dentist appointment, we may as well try the easy stuff--put her back on pred. I'll get that compounded into the transdermal pen if I can't get those capsules into her. But I'm hoping I will just need maybe a mirtz and gabapentin jumpstart to get the fuss bus back on her regular stops through meds town. And while we're at the IM, one or the other of us will get to say, "I told you so!" I'm hoping I'm not on the receiving end.
Betty, you are without a doubt the "finickiest" (yes, that's a word. See? I just typed it.) of the finicky. What DO you like, girl? There are only so many animals in the world and only so many are available for your discerning palate to enjoy. *What a catbus!!!*
cat-6-scared-7-because-789-but-why-did-7-eat-9-because-supposed-eat-3-squared-meals-day-1923-5...jpg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I’m stumped. She got a healthy dose of gabapentin last night and ate a healthy amount. She got a healthy dose this morning and barely touched breakfast. 🤦🏼‍♂️

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I’m stumped. She got a healthy dose of gabapentin last night and ate a healthy amount. She got a healthy dose this morning and barely touched breakfast. 🤦🏼‍♂️
As you well know, *one never knows with cats.* Never boring, never predictable. Always fascinating. Sometimes frustrating. Maybe you should put KUSC.org>ARCADE on for Betty. Works for us. ;):cutecat:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmph.

She came into the office looking like she just ate. She had the lick smacky lips going. Then a moment later, the awful moaning that tells me she's going to spit up. She spit up a couple minimally chewed/digested kibble pieces. Went to the other room and spit up even less. I wonder if she tried to eat a couple kibble pieces because she was hungry but didn't chew them because it was painful and what went down got caught and didn't want to stay down.

Still stumped. I wonder if I'm underestimating the ondansetron effect when I only shoot her with liquid gabapentin.

I'll be searching for gushy fudz to help the medicine go down.

She seems no worse for the regurg. Except restless.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmph.

She came into the office looking like she just ate. She had the lick smacky lips going. Then a moment later, the awful moaning that tells me she's going to spit up. She spit up a couple minimally chewed/digested kibble pieces. Went to the other room and spit up even less. I wonder if she tried to eat a couple kibble pieces because she was hungry but didn't chew them because it was painful and what went down got caught and didn't want to stay down.

Still stumped. I wonder if I'm underestimating the ondansetron effect when I only shoot her with liquid gabapentin.

I'll be searching for gushy fudz to help the medicine go down.

She seems no worse for the regurg. Except restless.
Oh, Betty :sickcat::sigh: How about Blue Buffalo Tastefuls beef? Something different. Pate texture. Maybe nice and soft and comfy for Betty.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Betty :sickcat::sigh: How about Blue Buffalo Tastefuls beef? Something different. Pate texture. Maybe nice and soft and comfy for Betty.
Fancy Feast beef has been the only food that's made her have a food barf as opposed to a regurgitation or hairball. I'm understandably a bit gun shy of trying beef with her again.

Oh that's not true. Her Thanksgiving Rawz turkey mound was ungratefully returned.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast beef has been the only food that's made her have a food barf as opposed to a regurgitation or hairball. I'm understandably a bit gun shy of trying beef with her again.

Oh that's not true. Her Thanksgiving Rawz turkey mound was ungratefully returned.
Is the FF beef in gravy, though? Maybe this pate would be more agreeable. Just a thought.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the FF beef in gravy, though? Maybe this pate would be more agreeable. Just a thought.
Tender Beef Feast Classic Pate. Not the gravy one. They ran out of Chicken cases and cans and the only way I could get her Fancy Feast Chicken was to buy the Poultry and Beef variety pack. So now I have a lot of beef that may or may not make her explode. But for one reason or another, she doesn't seem much like eating today. Come to think of it, I remember those two pieces of kibble that she regurgitated. I put them down for her hoping to jumpstart her appetite. I remember she took them up. But I also remember I didn't hear any crunching. Well, the regurg pile confirmed it. She crunched once and swallowed twice. 🤦‍♂️😾

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tender Beef Feast Classic Pate. Not the gravy one. They ran out of Chicken cases and cans and the only way I could get her Fancy Feast Chicken was to buy the Poultry and Beef variety pack. So now I have a lot of beef that may or may not make her explode. But for one reason or another, she doesn't seem much like eating today. Come to think of it, I remember those two pieces of kibble that she regurgitated. I put them down for her hoping to jumpstart her appetite. I remember she took them up. But I also remember I didn't hear any crunching. Well, the regurg pile confirmed it. She crunched once and swallowed twice. 🤦‍♂️😾
Of course each of us, feline, human, or other, is an individual. But beef is widely regarded as being pretty delicate and easily digestible. I would have thought that a beef pate would set well on Betty's stomach. Just goes to show, don't it? Chicken being the base of "the Jewish penicillin" as you no doubt know, would seem to be the best of all. Have you tried/entertained the thought of plain cooked chicken, possibly pureed in the blender/food processor?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats like red meat. Krista didn’t.

I broke open a Sheba pate for Betty and so far, she seems to like the little bites I’ve been giving her. Not enough to eat a capsule with the stuff. And I’m not plating enough for her to make a meal of it. But I’ll keep adding a little bit as slow intro calls for and as long as she enjoys it. I don’t think I want to get too crazy with anything too new or too fast with the holidays here.

I gave her a mirtz wet willy and a shot of gabapentin and perhaps a little bit of ondansetron that I stuck in the tip of the syringe that remained when I cleaned it, hopefully at least some for into her. I was hoping with most of the meds in her that her eating might pick up. But it looks like she ate the Sheba mound (about 6 grams) and a few pieces of kibble. I know she was overeating earlier in the week. But this isn’t enough.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that was sad. I just saw her jump off my lap. Approach her plate with hesitancy and either did a sniff and snub or a lick and cringe. So sad! I wish I could bupe her. But I know that wouldn’t help. She would simply be restless and still not eating. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 So tomorrows weigh in will tell me I don’t have to worry about it because she’s probably lost any gain from earlier in the week. I just hope she’ll come up to speed on new food fast enough to avoid any problems with her decline on her old food. I’ll be calling the IM on Tuesday. And probably Wedgwood too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that was sad. I just saw her jump off my lap. Approach her plate with hesitancy and either did a sniff and snub or a lick and cringe. So sad! I wish I could bupe her. But I know that wouldn’t help. She would simply be restless and still not eating. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 So tomorrows weigh in will tell me I don’t have to worry about it because she’s probably lost any gain from earlier in the week. I just hope she’ll come up to speed on new food fast enough to avoid any problems with her decline on her old food. I’ll be calling the IM on Tuesday. And probably Wedgwood too.
Awww, poor Betty!
What variety of Sheba did she seem to like?
And what about the plain cooked chicken idea? My roomie buys "organic" chicken from Trader Joe's. Looks pretty innocuous.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to make raw chicken with EZ Complete. She only sorta likes it. Not enough to keep doing it. I don’t even know how to cook chicken for a cat. It’s a lot of work to cut, freeze, grind, and now I should cook in there too? If she was a fan, I’d do it. But like everything else, her interest is tepid at best.

Christmas miracle! She took her capsule this morning and the breakfast plate already shows that.

The Sheba flavor she likes is the Chicken Feast Perfect Portions pate. I hope it stands up to her fussiness. And the litterbox. Because Sheba has a few flavors. And their recipe is not terrible. Tapioca starch is the only one I disagree with and it’s far enough down the list that it’s not worth worrying about.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9.34 Stable weight. That’s probably because she overate the first half of the week. Then fasted the second half. It would be nice to find her happy medium.
C9C5FDFE-3737-4778-B5BA-307429B05267.jpeg 542B2C11-078E-44F9-9FCE-576E9AEA0122.jpeg ABABA6FE-A7E6-446C-99D1-ED9D37DD1F44.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9.34 Stable weight. That’s probably because she overate the first half of the week. Then fasted the second half. It would be nice to find her happy medium.
View attachment 466353View attachment 466354View attachment 466355
That pretty much looks like "it" doesn't it? She looks great, silhouette-wise, and her coat is lustrous. Just wish she'd eat consistently and yes, take her medicines!
If you do decide to "cook chicken for cats," just boil it in some water, which becomes broth and can be used as well. If you buy a whole chicken, you could roast it with no seasonings, but take the "parts" out and boil them. Same thing with the broth. Most cats love chicken hearts, livers, etc. You can cut the pieces off the neck and give them, too. I've never had a cat refuse these.If you roast, roast at 375 or so:
Juicy Roasted Chicken
And you can, of course, freeze what Betty won't eat within a couple of days.