Introducing an unspayed female cat to our neutered male cat

hillyy13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! We have been thinking about getting our 2-year-old Persian boy a friend. We have come across an ad of a 2-year-old female Persian who seems just perfect - she is good around other animals and apparently very friendly, loves a cuddle. She is being rehomed due to the owners moving house.

Anyway - I have read lots of articles on introducing a new cat to the household, so feel like I know what I'm doing, although the thing I am worried about is the fact she is not spayed when our boy is. We would plan to get her spayed anyway, but is it a bad idea to introduce her to our boy when she is unspayed? Would she threaten him or would she not be interested as he is neutered?

Any tips on introducing 2 adult cats would be appreciate, especially if one is neutered and the other isn't!!

Thanks,
L

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There shouldn't be any problems until she came into heat, then it would bother him some, he still might try to mate with her, and she will be very annoying. I would get her spayed ASAP, then you wouldn't have to worry. I would do it before she got comfortable because chances are you would have to start all over with introductions. Remember, your boy might attack her if she smells like the vet, so watch them. Keep her isolated for a while. either cat will most likely hiss, growl and swat at each other, remember that is all normal.