Introducing An Older Cat To My Resident Cat

haleychristen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

uploaded-5b20272bbd14a3.21010228.jpg

Hello! I am new to this site, and hope to get some input and advice about introducing cats. I have a one year old ragdoll male, and a family member is no longer able to care for their eight year old male cat. My cat has a sweet, slightly shy personality to people and hasn’t interacted with other cats yet, besides his litter. The relatives cat was had a companion, but he/she passed away. He’s used to having another cat around, is sweet and mellow, and likes to play with toys and be petted and brushed. I’m planning on taking all the recommended steps to acclimate the cats to each other. I have a one bedroom and was planning on letting my cat have run of the apartment except for my bedroom where the new cat would stay until they’re ready to meet. Has anyone gone through the same situation with two males? I wonder if it is going to be more difficult since the new cat is a few years older. I am really hoping to avoid any spraying/marking/going to the bathroom outside of the box. My cat is absolutely awesome as is, and I only want to make his life better. I won’t accept the new cat if it’s not worth it for my existing one!

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

I, personally, have never had 2 cats at the same time, so have no experience with introducing cats. But lots of people have multi-cat households and things work out fine. The most important thing, I think, is ensuring a slow and careful introduction.

Until other members reply with comments, I'll post TCS's articles on cat introductions.

Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction (hopefully you won't need this one)
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (this one mentions body language to watch for to determine if cats are "mock fighting" or really fighting)

Good luck. Both cats are beautiful. Hope it works out, and they become best buds. :catlove:

BTW, I think your odds are better with 2 males, as opposed to 2 females.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would also make sure that each cat has time in the bedroom AND time in the rest of the house so that their scents are blended everywhere. Swap the sites out on a regular basis, at least for a few hours a day. Your resident cat may have his nose a bit out of joint, but it will pay off in the long run.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleychristen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help! I hope neither would be too upset by being in the bedroom, closed off from everyone in the rest of the apartment. Has anyone had success with using feliway multicay plug ins and then discontinuing after they are acclimated to each other and getting along?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't need to use Feliway yet.

I doubt either of them will be thrilled with the arrangement, but other than letting them just fight it out, there's not much else to do. Although one acquaintence resorted to installing a screen door on an unused bedroom. Extreme, but effective.

haleychristen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay! Excited to bring the new addition home this weekend!

haleychristen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Just wanted to give an update since the new cat came home Sunday night. He is confined to the bedroom and bathroom, has his litter box and food and water. I had to sleep on the couch last night in order to keep my resident cat from meowing all night long! He is curious of the smells from the other room, and they have hissed at each other once last night when my boyfriend let them see each other’s faces.

The new cat has been under the bed, and hasn’t come out to eat or use the box yet. My cat was conducting business as usual until I went to say goodbye to him before work....

He was on his cat tree and when sliding down to a lower perch his tail got caught on the blinds cord next to the tree and he really freaked out. The base of his tail is at least tender; he lost some hair from his tail but when I firmly touched around the base he hissed. He accepted treats but I didn’t have time to coax him and reintroduce him to the cat tree. The cat tree is right by the door between the bedroom and living room, and right next to the door to the patio as well.

The new cats favorite blanket is hanging out in the living room for my resident cat to smell.

How do you think we’re doing so far? Do you have any suggestions? I’m still kind of worried, thanks for your help!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not bad, for the first day! Yes, your resident cat smells the newcomer, and will be jumpy for a little while. And remind your boyfriend that they do NOT need any face-to-face for awhile...they'll learn more by the scents, anyway.

The new baby should be coming out to eat and use the box by tomorrow. If not, you may have to block off the bed so he can't continue to hide, but that can wait a day or two.

What on earth are these cats' names? I meant to ask you right off the bat, but I have these senior moments...a lot of them...

haleychristen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! I will let him know. It will pay off to take it slow! The new cat’s name is Ashes, and he is 8. My cat just turned 1 yesterday, and his name is Tango. Ashes is bigger than Tango by a few pounds at least, and when picking him up from my boyfriend’s parents, he was just begging to be petted, and came right up to greet us for the first time. I can’t tell yet who would be the dominant cat between them.

I hope my cat won’t be traumatized of his cat tree! I got it for him for his first birthday and he has been loving playing and sleeping on it the past few days.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love those names! Tango might be a little shy of the tree for a day or so, but if you have cat treats, I'll bet he can be bribed...

haleychristen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, they were introduced last night! Tango was very interested in following Ashes around, and Ashes seems very comfortable in his environment but hisses at Tango whenever they are within a few feet of each other. However, this morning Ashes was on the bed getting attention and tolerated Tango getting on and laying like three feet away for attention as well.

I’m feeling optimistic in that aspect, but unfortunately Ashes enthusiastically chomps an all my indoor plants that I’ve been growing for months. They’re not toxic, but could give him a belly ache if he eats too much. Any suggestions?

Also, he is clawing the bed frame through the bed skirt, repeatedly. What can I do to prevent this inappropriate habit?

Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't help you on the plants at all. I can kill a plastic philodendron in a week, flat. My only plant is a single airplant that lives in a tiny hanging terrarium, and Hek can't reach it.

As for the clawing...do you have plenty of appropriate places for him to scratch? And cats can be very picky about scratching. Some like vertical, some like horizontal, and some like angled posts. AND they can like different materials. Sometimes, finding the post that your cat will love can be an adventure in and of itself!

haleychristen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I think we have success!! Thanks for being there with advice and encouragement! It means the world to people who aren’t as familiar with cats!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm pretty sure you do have success! Now, there may be an occasional spat, but that's normal cat-stuff. If you take just one to the vet, you might even have to do a mini-introduction, as that cat will come home smelling very different than when he left. We have more than one member who routinely take all cats to the vet at the same time just to avoid things like that.

And you are more than welcome. That's what we're here for. And now you can just stick around and join the fun. One day, someone will need just what you have learned, and you can pay it forward.