Introducing a third cat

xoxmyxox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there just got a new kitten and trying to integrate it with my two cats of nearly a year old brother and sister so far not going well as growling and hissing and swiping had occurred and the little one is not eating much any advice? Considering giving the kitten back tomorrow to the lady if I can't make some progress as I feel there is stress from my cats due to the new arrival. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

linawaary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello @xoxmyxox  ! I understand your frustrations as I am in the midst of cat introductions myself and thought maybe i'd share a few things i've learning from the experience and the research i've found! 

This is a link to a few basics to cat introductions http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/ <---- love jacksongalaxy if you would like to also check out more things.

Just to cover the basics, your new kitty should be in a room on her own. Litter box, food and water bowls, and toys should be in the room. The resident cats should be outside! With the kitten inside you want to build up confidence with her by playing with her, petting her, and allowing her to get to know you. 

As for beginning the introductions, there are a few ways you can start introducing her scent. One way would be getting a sock and rubbing the kitten's scent all over it. Then place this sock near somewhere your resident cats typically hang. Maybe near their food or a window they enjoy. A second way would be get a blanket and have the kitten sit in it and get her scent on it. Then take this blanket and get the scent of the resident cats. Place the blanket on the door of the kitten's room with half outside and half in the kittens room. Place food and water on each side and allow the cats come eat from there and get used to the scents being mingled. From there you can asses the situation and start introducing them as the jacksongalaxy link says! 

Please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions! Best of luck to you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xoxmyxox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help and the advice but I gave the kitten back to the lady as the environment was just too stressful and my cats are now back to normal and are my friends again lol think the lady is keeping the kitten for herself so all turned out well in the end

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xoxmyxox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah me too[emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]I'm glad I've got my two friends back felt so tense and hostile from the Friday to the Monday[emoji]128533[/emoji][emoji]128533[/emoji][emoji]128533[/emoji]so much drama in the cat world lol worse than ppl[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]