Introducing a puppy to two cats.. Do cats change towards you with a new family member?

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I've posted on this forum before, but certainly not for a long time!

I'm living with two kitties now, or as I think of them - my children. One male and one female, both just over a year old. My husband and I have been thinking recently about adopting a puppy.. one in particular that we've both sort of fallen in love with.

The puppy is maybe a couple months old, very small, and incredibly docile. I'm not entirely sure which breed he is, but we don't expect him to get very big.

One of the reasons I'm hesitant to introduce a new family member is that I'm scared my two babies will change towards us, perhaps in a negative way if we bring a puppy home. We have a very close relationship with our cats now (we all sleep together every night, they come when we call them, etc) and I really do feel as if they're our children! I know you guys won't laugh at me for saying that, as I'm sure most of you feel the same way about your cats :)

So! Do cats change towards their owners when a new cat/dog/animal is introduced to the household? My male cat is particularly territorial and I remember it being a NIGHTMARE when he was adjusting to having a new cat in the house (our female cat), even when he was quite young - although they love each other now. I think it probably took at least 2-3 months for them to be alright with each other.

My cats are really the most important things in the world to me, so if there's a chance that the whole thing might be a very negative or difficult experience for them, I'd rather give up the puppy.

Thoughts? Advice? Experience?

Thanks so much! :)

**sorry, I JUST saw the cats and other animals forum! I've moved this over there..**

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, you are in the right forum. I would say in your situation to put off getting a puppy. If the male is that territorial, he will terrorize the puppy. That will mean puddles on the floor, which might trigger the male cat to overmark them, and the circle escalates.

Not only that, but a puppy will take a lot of your time, and your cats will probably resent it. Which could lead to litter box issues, displaced aggression, and so forth.

Enjoy your cats and be content being cat people.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on how much space you have and how much time/patience you are willing to give towards the puppy (training and introduction.)

That said, I wouldn't do it personally because you mention that it was a nightmare introducing your female.

Maybe an adult dog who's used to living with cats would be a better option?

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would do it, if you have the time and patience to devote to training the puppy and meeting the cats' needs. But then, I am a huge dog-lover. :) In her book on clicker training cats, Karen Pryor actually has a good section on how she trained her dog to interact with the cats in a positive, cat-friendly way.

But yes, it may take 2-3 months for everyone to settle down and be happy, and the cats may temporarily change towards you (I doubt they will permanently). I think the happiness a puppy could bring may be worth it. I think it's also possible your male might be less territorial with a dog than with another cat- possible, not necessarily something to count on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the male is territorial but he's also a huge scaredy-cat.. that might be why he's so aggressive towards anything else that comes in the house. The female is far more relaxed towards other kitties.

I've heard about people having babies and their pets becoming jealous somehow and changing towards them.. but I can't remember if that was said about cats or dogs. Knowing cats they probably really don't care, hahaha :)

We have the space and the time to incorporate a puppy, and actually the puppy is living at the vet's office across the street.. so it would be easy for us to slowly incorporate smell and so on.

It's really the male cat I worry about.. the female is very chilled out and happy as long as she's being fed. The male cat, though, does not like ANYTHING foreign in the house. Any time someone comes to the door, he'll be under the bed for hours on end. Even if I pick him up and start walking towards the door he'll start FREAKING OUT and clawing to get out of my clutches and bolt under the bed. He's also an obsessive face-rubber (you know, he's always rubbing his face glands or whatever they are on us). Any time we come back in the house he's all over us trying to "re-scent" us. Or at least that's what it seems he's up to.

Well, thanks for the advice.. we're still noodling it over as it is a big decision! In the end I still have my two main fur babies, and I'm a happy mama :)

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard the jealous thing tend to be misconstrued. It's usually behavioral changes related to stress and confusion- a new baby upends any household, and the cat doesn't have the benefit of "understanding" what's going on- that's interpreted by us humans as jealousy, bc that's what we might feel.

The male sounds like any household change is a massively big deal to him. It sounds like I you do decide to get the puppy, you have a good attitude and approach for making things work in the long-run. Don't forget the power of delicious treats and interactive playtime to build positive associations and decrease anxiety.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think dogs or cats feel jealousy the way we do.  I think it's more a territorial thing and reacting to change.  Cats to varying degrees don't like and are stressed by change.  If you have the patience then it could possibly be worked out.  Of course cats decide on their own what they will and will not accept.  You will have to take your time and not get frustrated by the process.  Both dogs and cats pick up on our mood and react accordingly.