Introducing A Non-aggressive Third Cat To Aggressive Resident Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to report that I think things have gotten better from Radish's end! We continued baby gate feeding and then we let Radish have supervised access to ʻUlu's room over the weekend for short periods of time. He initially would lock onto ʻUlu, growl, and slap his head. However, with more exposure, the growls and intense stares have lessened--to the point where Radish saw ʻUlu this morning and didn't growl at all. (He did slap ʻUlu's butt, though, because ʻUlu had gone and hid under his shoeshelf but left his butt out in the open. But it was just a couple of slaps, no sounds, and then Radish wandered away.) I wonder if Radish was also halfway trying to play with ʻUlu in his weird way at some points, because he was playing peekaboo through the tunnel we've got set up and was sort of poking at ʻUlu the way he pokes at Marple right before he tries to wrestle with her...except since he'd been growling and slapping, ʻUlu can't tell when Radish is trying to play. I wonder why!

My husband also noticed that Radish doesn't react as aggressively to ʻUlu when it's primarily him supervising versus me (he said he thinks Radish sees him as basically a giant cat who needs to be respected but sees me as his "mommy" so he gets jealous :flail: My husband would be a very big cat!), so he supervised the first couple of visits and then we sort of took turns after. I think that did help a lot!

I guess the sad story now is ʻUlu, who just doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body. He likes playing footsie with Radish under the door; he'll even come up to the door if it's open a crack and Radish is right outside. But if the door is wide open and Radish is coming in, ʻUlu will either hide in his shoeshelf when he sees Radish approaching or will just slowly melt onto his side, close his eyes, and lie there like he's dead. And you know how slugs get shorter and shrink into themselves if you poke them? That's what ʻUlu does when Radish smacks him. Then he just lies there and (I'm pretty sure) falls asleep until Radish wanders off, and then when I touch him after Radish leaves he pops back up and rubs on me like nothing happened. I told my husband that if ʻUlu was our kid, I'd be signing him up for karate lessons right now. He might also just be part fainting goat. We're not sure.

We will try working on ʻUlu's confidence once Radish shows he's over making big body all the time! Also open to any tips or guidance if we're heading down the wrong road. I think we are progressing, but I'm not 100% sure. We don't want to permanently traumatize ʻUlu, but he has behaved pretty consistently while Radish is improving. ʻUlu just doesn't want to fight, which probably helps, and I think once Radish gets over it we can work more on ʻUlu and getting him out of his bedroom.

ʻUlu shrinking like a slug (Radish is between the stumpy cat den and the stuffed platypus)

Playing dead (he started purring very, very quietly while I was petting him...can't tip Radish off that he's actually still alive)

(Oh, and Marple was fine with eating meals in ʻUlu's room with ʻUlu! She is really such a good cat. If you leave her alone she leaves you alone...Radish just doesn't leave her alone, haha. She will probably be fine with ʻUlu since he's not constantly wanting to wrestle like Radish.)

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're on the right path, definitely

:beerchug: :woohoo: :bunnydance:
Thank you!! And thanks for being so encouraging! We have a pretty good situation as far as introductions and personalities go, but I'm still pretty new to having cats so it's always good to know we're doing OK!

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Um...I guess this is an improvement to report:

We've been letting ʻUlu out of his room. I also started swapping their walking vests (although ʻUlu is still staggering around/falling over when he wears his) wondering if this would help Radish adjust to ʻUlu's smell. Radish is actually being fairly good, albeit creepy. He likes to follow and stare at ʻUlu and every now and then will growl/moan or slap him. He also likes to eat ʻUlu's kitten food :/ ʻUlu is still doing the slow melt to the floor when Radish goes into his creeper routine.

Sunday evening was the first time Radish willingly approached ʻUlu without trying to slap him. He mounted him instead and put his mouth on ʻUlu's throat. I guess that's an improvement? ʻUlu squeaked and rolled away in response. He is behaving as he always does otherwise. But this was a change for Radish, and as much as I wish it wasn't still such a pretty aggressive move, at least he's decided it's OK to touch ʻUlu with something other than his slap-paws!

LannyLC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the improvement over a couple weeks.
First of all, Radish, Ulu and Marple are super cute names. I love that Marple is happy as long as there's food and Ulu looks like the sweetest cat ever. You've introduced these cats in the best way. Your patience is definitely paying off.
LOL about Radish being creepy. Once my new cat was allowed out, my resident cat initially followed him around and stared at him too. That wore off in no time and they co-exist quite nicely and my resident cat (more needy like Radish) has learned to tolerate when I give the new cat affection.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe radish will stop stalking Ulu after getting this out of his system.
Radish isn't beating Ulu up so that's good!
I'm hoping so! It's almost like he forgets that ʻUlu exists every time we put him away and he has to readjust again when ʻUlu comes out. But he is gradually spending less time growling at ʻUlu...and more time being a creepy stalker, but he does that with Marple, too, just not as intensely. Anyway, it's an improvement! Haha!

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the improvement over a couple weeks.
First of all, Radish, Ulu and Marple are super cute names. I love that Marple is happy as long as there's food and Ulu looks like the sweetest cat ever. You've introduced these cats in the best way. Your patience is definitely paying off.
LOL about Radish being creepy. Once my new cat was allowed out, my resident cat initially followed him around and stared at him too. That wore off in no time and they co-exist quite nicely and my resident cat (more needy like Radish) has learned to tolerate when I give the new cat affection.
Thank you! Radish is definitely a needy boy. We were hoping adding ʻUlu to the mix would help him with that. I guess it did, in the sense that now he won't stop stalking/following ʻUlu. :/ Radish is going to have to get used to sharing attention, too. ʻUlu is seriously cute and such a sweetheart, I can't not give him cuddles! When he's uncertain about something he'll peep around the corner and anxiously rub his cheek on whatever he's half-hiding behind...like the awkward kid at the playground trying to see if he'll be invited to play. We really got lucky with his personality. My heart melts with him when Radish is doing his wooly bully routine, but it's probably for the best that he isn't aggressive at all. Also, Radish is not a big guy and would probably get clobbered in an actual fight. :(

I hope we also have some genial co-existing in our future!

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may be too early to say for sure, but I think ʻUlu and Radish are going to be fine! We let ʻUlu stay outside of his bedroom the whole time this weekend. Radish still acts very dominant towards him, but he isn't growling or hissing at ʻUlu anymore. I'm pretty sure they spent the whole night last night playing chase and while I can't tell who was chasing who (because I was lying in bed...trying to sleep...), when we got up this morning I noticed that they did seem more at ease with each other. I think the chasing helped them figure each other out more. Although if I had to guess, Radish was probably doing most, if not all, of the chasing. There wasn't any yowling last night, but I did hear a couple of kitty grunts which usually means Radish body slammed someone when they weren't expecting it. (At least ʻUlu will probably be bigger than Radish once he's fully grown so he'll have the bulk to take a tackle, which Marple doesn't have!) My husband even saw Radish chase ʻUlu into a corner this morning, stop short of jumping on him, and put his arm around ʻUlu and give him a lick on his forehead instead of tackling him. I was sorry that I missed that!

ʻUlu doesn't melt when Radish approaches anymore. He's attempted to bat back at Radish a few times but otherwise it seems that he serves as Radish's thing to run after most of the time, and he seems to be OK with that. I haven't really seen the exchange in chasing that you're supposed to see when cats are playing, but despite usually being the chased instead of the chaser he still hasn't changed much in his behavior--he even follows Radish around, like he wants to be chased. He also will try to eat Radish's leftovers (ʻUlu is still supposed to be on kitten food) and initiates sniffing Radish's butt. From last night, ʻUlu is also apparently even more vocal with Radish than he is with me. He was pretty much constantly trilling all night long while they were thundering around the house. It's a really cute sound, it just kept me up because I kept waiting to hear if he was calling for help. Didn't seem that way.

Meanwhile, now that ʻUlu is out of his bedroom, he's locked onto Marple, too. Radish has always been obsessed with Marple and it looks like ʻUlu is almost as in love with her. Marple still doesn't care as long as she has food, but she does not like being interrupted by weird cats while eating and ʻUlu tends to really want to say hello when she's eating. So she's been growling at him when he gets too close during mealtime, but I'm still not as worried about Marple because she's just not aggressive/dominant the way Radish is. We'll just keep feeding them together so that she continues to know that he's there.

Thank you all for your support! I was getting worried for a bit there, but it looks like we'll be OK (if maybe a little sleep deprived)! Before ʻUlu joined us, Radish would occasionally wake us up at night meowing plaintively at his favorite toys like he was trying to get them to move. Hopefully we'll just be woken up by paws thumping after each other now!