Introducing a new kitten

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I have a 8 month old kitten who is lovely. I live alone and work full time although due to covid half of that time is working from home right now. Eventually I am sure I will return to the office full time.

I have the opportunity to being home another kitty in December when my current kitten will be around 11 months old.
My question: Is this a good idea? I spend a lot of time with my kitten Lola but I sometimes worry longer days at work will leave her lonely. A buddy might be nice OR she could hate a little kitten. Are they too close in age, not close enough in age? Just roll the dice and hope it works out?

Any advice?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the age gap is fine, that is the age difference between my two cats and they get along great. I would browse this site for how to introduce them, there are some great articles here that will help.

There is always the chance they won't be a match though, so male sure you discuss a plan with a family member, friend or the people you are getting the new kitten from in case you have to rehome it.

Also make sure you are ready for the financial strain of two cats, as it means twice the food, twice the medical bills, twice the amount of litter etc.

Best of luck, would love to hear your decision and a photo of the new baby if you get one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lola'sMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the age gap is fine, that is the age difference between my two cats and they get along great. I would browse this site for how to introduce them, there are some great articles here that will help.

There is always the chance they won't be a match though, so male sure you discuss a plan with a family member, friend or the people you are getting the new kitten from in case you have to rehome it.

Also make sure you are ready for the financial strain of two cats, as it means twice the food, twice the medical bills, twice the amount of litter etc.

Best of luck, would love to hear your decision and a photo of the new baby if you get one!
Thank you for the feedback. I have taken into consideration the financial burden. If another feline adds companionship to my kitty then I am willing to do it. I have seen other posts where owners claim their cats now hate them for allowing another kitten/cat into their home and that is my fear.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose there is no real way to know until you try, just a leap you will have to take if you make that decision. That is why I recommend having a back up plan, so the kitten has a good home to go to if things don't work out.

Just keep in mind, the cat will not understand that it was you who brought the kitten into their life, and so even if they dislike the kitten (at first or indefinitely), she will in no way hate you.