Introducing a new kitten when you have a bonded pair

Wanderlust316

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve got 2 kittens (10 months old), they’re extremely close and absolutely adore each other.

I previously had another cat (who I lost in July to bone marrow cancer) which absolutely gutted me because she wasn’t even 2 years old.

Since then, I’ve been determined to get a third cat in time, when the right cat/kitten came along.

I’ve got the opportunity to adopt a 12 week old kitten, she’s a mixed breed (part rag doll) and the runt of the litter. But absolutely beautiful.

My concern is - will she be left out because the other 2 are so bonded? Will it be detrimental to add a third cat into the house?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not at all once they get used to where each of them stand in the dynamics of the family. Your two older ones seem grown now, but at ten months are still kittenlike. A three month old kitten will quickly join in, much quicker then an older cat. If the two bonded cats are males, she will quickly teach them manners and limits as all females do, especially when she gets older. Kittens are much more readily accepted into a family unit, and after the initial introductionb period should be fine. Females are usually a little more standoffish, many do not bond as close as two males, but with all of them being so young, it shouldn't take long at all for a family bond to take hold. Watch those two older ones, kittens are fragile, and could be hurt quickly, so watch for indications that they are not happy with the new little intruder into their world. Hisses, growls, slaps, and intent watching are all normal, but do not leave them alone together for at least a couple of weeks unless you are there. I would bet that with a slow introduction, they will all coexist happily within a few weeks!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pair of bonded males, and they accepted a little female kitten with no trouble. I tried to make sure to take it slowly, but she found out she could squeeze under the door to escape her room. So, her introduction took perhaps a week. Things went pretty much as Di and Bob said above.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think, since they are all under a year old, it should be just fine! Good luck!

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a bonded trio of sisters who are now four. They didnt take long to accept their new little 2 month old brother, within three weeks he was cuddling with them, and I think it did help that they had another. I have another cat who was only cat for years, and she hates other cats and the best we get is staying away from each other.