Introducing a new kitten to the family

zerosoma33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 of our 3 adult cats are very upset that we decided to bring a kitten into the family. Kitten (Benji) is roughly 8 weeks of age. They fight a lot and are hissing. When the kitten is not around they are fine but when he is in the room they hiss at each other. Sometimes the 2 adults fight with each other because they are stressed out. 

We have been incorporating group feeding and playing time. It does not seem to be helping much. Our 3rd cat could care less as he is pretty much brain-fried from too much mary jane in college (not my fault, owner before me). He is seriously the most unique chill cat I have ever seen (dogs can bark at him in the face and he sits there and looks at them) but that's another story. 

So how do we do this? If we stress out our adults too mcuh I'm afraid we may have to get rid of the kitten but the kitten has bonded with us already, we are training him (he is litter trained and he can fetch and knows his name) and we love him already!

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, first off Benji is very young.  Too young to be away from momma and siblings at this age.  In spite of what people think, at 8 weeks, he should just be finishing weaning but not entirely and momma still has a lot to teach him. 

Also, though it is thought that in general, adult cats find kittens less threatening it is also true that they find them very annoying and too energetic.  Plus this kitten being too young only makes it worse.  They won't hurt him.  Even if it sounds like they are.  (Cats can be overdramatic!)  However, even if he is a baby that doesn't mean they aren't going to be upset by changes in the household and the fact that they have to establish the hierarchy.  My advice is to let them be and let them work it out for themselves.  Remain neutral and only interfere if you have to and they are actually killing eachother.  But hissing, slapping and growling and yelling is to be expected.  It should work itself out shortly. 

PS maybe try some feliway diffusers.  In general, it takes about a month for cats to work things out but that is not always the case.  Each situation and each cat is different.  Don't give up and it's highly irresponsible to already be considering giving this kitten, too young, up already.  You made the choice.  Please do the right thing and be a responsible pet owner.

Last edited: