Introducing a new kitten to an existing female Siamese?

nia34

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I wonder if any of you could give me some guidance. I have a traditional siamese seal point spayed female. I have no other pets or kids and live in a quiet neighborhood. Bailey has been doted on since we got her at 12 weeks. She is generally calm with serious bursts of energy, which make her seem very kitten like still. Most of the time she seems very content being the only pet but gets a panic stricken look on her face every time my husband and I leave for work. I can hear her screaming when I close the door every morning. There have been no behavioral problems though, she's very well behaved.

I have been thinking of getting her a companion recently mainly because we recently went on vacation and I worried about her a lot. She is not well socialized with other people, as its just the two of us and we don't get many visitors. Any we do get usually get a view of her backside as she runs up the stairs. Despite her aloofness with other people she is VERY affectionate with us and wants to be around us all the time. If she had a companion I wouldn't worry about her so much when I'm not at home, knowing that the other cat would keep her company. The other thing that makes me think she is lonely and might like a buddy is the fact that she has recently taken to 'adopting' stink bugs. Any that she finds get gently carried around in her mouth and stroked with a paw. The fit of wailing that ensues when they are taken away makes me think she'd like a friend.

My priority is her well being and I don't want to do anything that might upset her. I know that the introduction has to be done slowly and carefully. My question is, is this a good idea? Is she likely to be happy or miserable? What sex and age would be best? Does anyone have any experiences they could share?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's your cat's current age? I've owned a Color Point Short Hair before (1st cousin of Siamese) and he was fairly territorial. In fact he was the most territorial cat I've ever owned.

It really depends on your particular cat. The best thing to do imho would be to foster another cat her age to see how it goes. Playmates are usually better if they are the same age. If all is well, then pay the adoption fee and your golden. If they don't get along use the experience to determine if your cat is submissive or dominant.

If your cat is dominant, then she will most likely get along with a submissive kitty- and vice versa. Proper introductions do wonders as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nia34

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She is 16 months old now and still fairly kitten like.

momcatsix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 Siamese and in my opinion they tend to stick together.  So if I were you I'd look for another Siamese, preferably a male kitten, in my experience females are more territorial and with a male kitten she could be the boss.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fit of wailing that ensues when they are taken away makes me think she'd like a friend.

This is very normal "look what I've got/killed" behaviour. Many cats will walk around with toys or prey and wail about it.

But being an active breed she would likely love a companion. Another Siamese or active breed would suit her well.