Introducing a new kitten : asking for advice

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

If it can reassure you, I took advice from a shelter and the French equivalent of the Humane Society, both told me my flat was perfectly fine for two cats, especially two kittens who would grow up together. We also met a breeder who advised us to get two kittens, considering both my boyfriend and I work and we wouldn't be at home during the day. Everyone told us we had enough space and the most important thing was for the cat to control their territory and to have distinct area to play/eat/poop. We avoided to take a kitten that was used to big space and outdoors, and it went fine.

We took a second one because the first one clearly needed some feline company to play with and learn how to behave with. And we were right ! Since they're used to each other, our first one is transformed ! She has a lot of fun, she's more relaxed, she stopped biting us for play ... Now both kittens do everything together, eat, play, sleep and ask for attention.

And as I explained in my previous post, I think StephenQ advice is great ! I actually saved it for the day we have a bigger place, in case we want to get another cat. But we materially couldn't do that without stressing both cats more than necessary in my opinion. We followed his second advice with a blanket on the box, supervised closely the kittens until they got used to each other, and everything went fine.

Also, it should be noted that cat lovers we met don't agree on the right way to introduce kittens - not adult cat, but kittens. Half told us basically the same thing as StephenQ, half told us to introduce them calmly face to face and let them work this out by themselves. A couple of friends even tried to introduce a new young cat to their adult cat following StephenQ's process ... after two hours of both kitties meowing at each other through the door, they gave up, opened it, and everything went fine right away.

There isn't one unique solution for every situation. 
I agreed that there are many solutions to every problem.  Kittens are less of a problem with introducing because they are so curious and playful.  Where I work we give the long version of introductions because so many people give up too soon and want to return the kitten or cat.  Others just put them together and are back in an hour because of a big fight.  I also agree that when two cats are good friends they can share small spaces but if they don't get along a small space will compound the situation.  Hope which ever plan you undertake works out!

sreese5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great job introducing the kitties.!! Just gotta do whatever works for you. Most importantly - you saved another life. So glad they are BFFs!