Introducing a new kitten and other anxieties

sararocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a new kitten as a playmate for my 5 year old tabby (Freyja), and I am really anxious about this whole process. I think I just need a little encouragement and advice right now. Sorry for the very long post, and for any rambling that may occur.

About 2 months ago, my husband and I adopted a bonded pair of cats, Freyja and Tyson (not litter mates). They were really good friends, and I was looking forward to spending a long and happy life with them. Unfortunately, Tyson was really sick and after only a week of having him as a part of our lives, he crossed the rainbow bridge. My husband and I were absolutely devastated, and Freyja seemed a little down. She was kind of needy to begin with, but she was not enjoying being our only cat. My husband and I both work, so she spent most of her days by herself. As soon as we get home in the evenings, she is yowling at us, and it sounds like chastising! It's kind of cute, really. But, I feel bad for her.

This is Freyja's third (and final!) home. The first two, she spent with her litter mate sister. When their second owner was unable to care for them, they were given to a kill shelter, and Freyja was rescued, but they were too late for her sister. Sometime in her travels, Freyja contracted feline herpes and had a pretty bad outbreak when we first brought her home. 

Anyway, yesterday, we brought home a beautiful little 5 month old kitten. He came with the name Sid Vicious, but we may change that. He and a litter mate sister were found in a teenager's closet, and put up on craig's list. Both Sid and his sister were taken in by a lady who could only keep the sister and gave Sid to the shelter. Right now, we have Sid isolated in our second bedroom, and my husband and I have been on "kitty shifts" switching between hanging out with Freyja and Sid. When we brought Sid home yesterday, Freyja was a little concerned, until I let her sniff the carrier we brought him home in. She calmed down after that, but took some convincing to go play string.  Each kitty also has a box with a towel to sleep on and we are switching those out, so they can get used to each other's scent. Sid managed to escape a couple of times yesterday and the cats have touched noses, but didn't seem to react one way or the other. Freyja is hanging out by the door and seems very curious as to what is going on inside. I've heard that's a good sign!

Sid has spent pretty much all day today sleeping on a blanket, and hasn't seemed interested in any of the toys that we have. He has been sneezing, but I don't see any other signs of a respiratory infection (runny eyes, labored breathing, sneezing fits, etc.). Freyja has been acting almost normal today, but she is definitely wanting more attention than usual. She doesn't want to play as much as she just wants one of us to sit next to her.

I am just feeling very anxious about the whole thing. When I am sitting with Freyja, I feel bad that the kitten is shut up in a little room and am concerned that he isn't playing. When I am with the kitten, I am concerned that Freyja is feeling left out and may get jealous of the new cat. Not to mention, I'm completely paranoid that this kitty is going to get sick like Tyson was, and that Freyja is going to have another outbreak. And, I am also very worried that when they do meet, they aren't going to like each other. The vet said to keep them separated for a week, but I may go mad before that happens. I know I am being neurotic and that although this week may be rough, it will have great results. Anyone else have new kitty anxiety?

Thanks in advance!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for giving her a final and forever home.  Not many people are that committed... Most say something stupid like "If this doesn't work, she's going back to the shelter or I have to rehome her!"  Kudos to you for being committed and knowing that pets are a lifetime commitment. 

Well, the rule of thumb is to keep them separated for a week...Because of her feline herpes, stress could cause an outbreak.  And he most likely has allergies.  Pets get those, too. But, if he has been cleared by your vet and she seems cool and interested, why not let them interact?  Supervised and for short visits, not over 30 minutes at a time.  Try this several times a day.  Praise all good interaction, even if they seem to be ignoring eachother.  As long as they are not aggressive, praise, praise, and more praise.  Maybe even try treats. Or playing with them together.   

If this goes well for a couple of days, or even after 1 day, I would go ahead and let him out of his seclusion.  Try not to stress.  You being calm is key.  Cats very much communicate by body language and if you seem tense, they'll be tense. 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats have been exposed to feline herpes, just as most humans have been exposed to human herpes.  That wouldn't play a big role in any decision I would make, in your case.

Boys are usually a little less territorial than girl kitties, so you have that on your side.

Has Freyja been spayed?  Sid may be old enough to impregnate her, if he hasn't been neutered.  And even if he has been less than a month ago.

We try to keep strangers separated from our cats for at least a week, but sometimes, they just won't put up with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sararocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! The kitties are out together and are doing well. We changed Sid's name to Rory, which fits him. He did manage to somehow get a little bit of pink eye. We got meds for him yesterday and already he is in much better shape. So far, there hasn't been any hissing or biting between the two. Freyja seems to be upset that Rory won't stay still long enough for her to smell him. I think they are going to get along just fine.
Bless you for giving her a final and forever home.  Not many people are that committed... Most say something stupid like "If this doesn't work, she's going back to the shelter or I have to rehome her!"  Kudos to you for being committed and knowing that pets are a lifetime commitment.
Yes, both of our kitties are family to us. You don't get rid of family. Unless it was in the very best interest of the cat, I don't think I could live with myself for giving one of them up. Our little Tyson was originally given up from one of his past homes because he "meowed too much." I thought he had the sweetest meow in the world and would do anything to be able to hear it again.
Has Freyja been spayed?  Sid may be old enough to impregnate her, if he hasn't been neutered.  And even if he has been less than a month ago.
Both Freyja and Rory (formerly Sid) have been fixed. Rory was fixed at the end of June. Does it take a little time for neutering to get out of his system, so to speak?