Introducing A New Cat To Multiple Cat Household

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have 4 cats, all over age 10. I'm thinking of adding a new member to the household. My question is on how to approach introducing a new cat. Current household is 3 males, 1 female. I'm thinking of adding another female.

Should I get another kitten? Or an adult. The shelter has several adult females that are friendly to other cats.

Tazy - our oldest, loves everyone. He should be fine with a new household member.

Tru- the second oldest, sort of keeps to herself. She gets a little slappy at meal times, but never really full out fights with anyone. Mostly defensive. If you pick on me i will hold my ground.

The two siblings- Caspian and Pounce. Caspian does like to pick on others - sometimes playfully, sometimes aggressive. Pounce will probably be the most problematic- he can definitely be aggressive with other cats. I don't think he will be happy with a new family member. Right now everyone co-exists well. Just not certain how difficult introducing a new kitten will be.

I don't know if Pounce's aggression is fear based or more territorial. I'm guessing territorial.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introducing one kitten to 4 ten year olds seems like a very, very bad idea, the little one will annoy them and will have no company to play with. If anything, I’d adopt two kittens but that will double annoyance to your older kitties. So I’d decide to adopt an adult cat. Hopefully they will accept her but be prepared that it can be very difficult and time consuming with older cats. Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No matter which cat you choose, proper introductions are KEY here. And remember that you CANNOT push any stage faster than the most reluctant cat, even if it means taking months to complete the process. Try to rush things, and you won't go back to "0", you'll go back into negative numbers!

These articles may be of help in the process:
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats