Introducing a new cat- resident cat stopped eating and is vomiting ...HELP

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My resident cat is an 8 month old neutered male (James)  and I just adopted a 1 year old neutered male (Tommy) 6 days ago.  I kept them separate at first with no visual for about 2 days...did the scent swapping, room swapping, tried getting them to eat by the door and all was going well at first.  I slowly started to introduce them as they both seemed very curious whats on the other side of the door. 

The new cat Tommy is right at home and ready to get out of my bedroom and go about his business, but my resident cat James is not happy, some of the initial growling and the hissing has slowed but they have had a few supervised interactions and it does sometimes end with Tommy chasing James. I think he's just playing no one is attacking or hurting the other, but James is VERY timid and scared and  he ends up hissing so then I separate them again, but they're both crying and scratching the door. 

I realize this will take a while and its only been 6 days but now my resident cats appetite has majorly decreased, which I attribute to stress. He is a very nervous cat anyway, but he started vomiting too and he has NEVER vomited before. Has anyone ever experienced a cat vomiting due to stress like this? He vomited several times , mostly foam/bile as hes barely eating. I've have since completely separated them again and will take it extremely slow....but I am very worried about  my James. Will he ever come around? 

I did bring him to the vet last night as I noticed he would not eat and was not himself at all. She doesn't think he's sick (no temp or belly pain from her touching) but she said even though Tommy has no symptoms other than some sneezing, its possible he could've caught something Tommy was carrying from the shelter.  She gave him fluids and fed him high cal food through a syringe and I am doing that at home....but I am very very concerned. He kept the food down last night but he threw up liquid this morning.  I

am about to go buy a couple giant cat trees and set them up for James, maybe it'll help his confidence? I am open to ANY help....I love both of these cats and can't imagine having to give Tommy back to the shelter, I will do anything to make it work :(

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little James, you seem to be having a very similar problem to mine when I was introducing my cats. My resident cat picked up an upper respiratory illness from our new kitten but yes it's true that she used to vomit when she was stressed. Hopefully, things will greatly improve once James recovers from his illness. 

I think the cat trees are a great idea. James needs to be secure and he can feel a part things. James needs also needs to be quiet so if you can watch them carefully, particularly Tommy. Cats have tells, when it looks likely that he is about to chase a stern word may deter him (it does for mine) or you could distract him by making a loud noise. It would also help to play all that pent up energy out of Tommy so he doesn't feel like chasing James. Finally, if things become too intense separating them for a few minutes to allow them to calm down or just change their mindset to do other things. 

When James is feeling better, having them play together with an interactive toy should help him feel more at ease with Tommy, positive encouragement when they play well together, cuddles and treats all should get them associating the presence of the other with good things.  

It's very difficult for the resident cat when a new cat is introduced, James will need lots of extra affection and attention to help him feel secure with this new situation. 

Have you tried feliway? I had it on 24/7 when I was introducing my cats. 

The fact that both cats seem to be attached to each other already is extremely encouraging. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response!! James has been doing slightly better, no vomiting in 24 hours now, playing normally, and eating very little on his own. I've found that if I sit with him and really baby him I can get him to take a few bites. Did yours have have a decreased appetite?

I do have a Feliway plug in, but it's only been in for a week and I know it can take time. I also tried a calming collar yesterday at the advice of my vet, so we'll see if that helps too.  How long did you have to keep your cats separated to start?

Interesting that your cat caught an upper respiratory infection.  I just brought Tommy to the vet and turns out he has Coccidia, so now I am going to get James tested. Vet didn't seem to think he would show symptoms this quickly if he caught it from Tommy, but James has diarrhea which is a symptom so I wonder if it's a mix of being sick and the stress. Anyhow I will keep at it, I wish I could quit my job and play with them all day! It's all I can focus on!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she did have a decreased appetite. I fed her boiled chicken and rice (good for nausea), canned sardines in spring water (nice and smelly appetite stimulant), and later I put crumbled her favourite treat on the top of her regular food. If you are American you could also try her on Gerbers baby food but it has to be chicken (or turkey) without onion or garlic). 

My kitty was very sick, getting her better took precedence over introductions. As soon as she had her appetite back we went back to supervised visits but just for a short time. I think you will be able to gauge how they are together, 

I really do think stress has a lot to do with illness, my vets have told me on a couple of occasions that kittens often catch something when they move to a new home.

I hope James and Tommy get better soon, please keep us posted on how things are going, there are extremely experienced people on this forum. And I know how you feel, 

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to report James is back to eating and going to the bathroom normally. What a relief!!!!  After a couple days of normal eating and playing, I started to introduce them again. I think it's going well...no growling or hissing and they even eat together with no problem. 

I've had a few extended supervised interactions and they basically spend the entire time chasing each other and what I think is play fighting. How can you tell if they're playing or if it's territorial? If they're wrestling and chasing, but no one seems to be hurting the other, is it okay to let them get used to each other and work it out somewhat or should I be keeping them separated more often than not?  

I try to play with them both together, but James is more interested in what Tommy is doing and will keep going to him and chasing him. They do wrestle (biting and kicking some) but it's silent and lasts for a few seconds at a time and one of them will walk away. 

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news!

If they are playing the chasing is mutual, their ears are up and their claws are sheathed, and no hissing or growling. It sounds like it's going great, I'm so happy for you and your kittes! Posturing is to be expected while they work out their relationship with each other. Just keep a close eye on them to make sure it doesn't escalate into aggressive fighting. Their relationship is fragile at the moment and you don't want it damaged. 

It's ok if they won't play together, giving them a lot of affection and feeding them treats together works as well. 

My kitties had times where things got a little intense and it felt like we were going one step forward, two steps back sometimes. I separated them just to let them calm down a bit. It was only for about five to ten minutes, cats don't have great short term memories, and they were fine when I let them out. 

Last edited:

mysticotala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear it is progressing! This same thing happened to my cat last week after bringing back a new cat and I was so worried. None of the tricks to get him to eat worked. I left the new cat in her own room mostly and very slowly introduced them. My resident cat finally started eating again after a few days. I think they are going to get along fine now :) I hope your kitties work it out!
I used a Feliway plugin too. Hard to know if it worked or not, but I'll keep it!

As everyone else says, let them together for short periods of time. Try distract them with treats and toys.

And careful with the calming collar!! I read some really horrible stories about the release latch not working and the cats getting their mouths caught in it. Scary stuff.

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice to both of you!!!  I no longer let James wear the calming collar unless I'm home to supervise, not worth the possible hazards there! 

Tommy and James are pretty much the same since my last post. I'm so grateful James is eating normally and not vomiting. But I do hope that James will come around and stop preying upon Tommy, but I know it will take time! 

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep building James's confidence, playing with him, lots of affection and treats. Have lots of places where James can get away when he needs to, And don't forget lots of extra love and lots of work outs for Tommy to make him too busy and tired to be bothered chasing James. 

They'll get there. It took my cats eight months to be fully comfortable with each other. 

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to provide a happy update! It's been about a month of having Tommy added to the household (the black tuxedo) and something has changed over the last few days and seems like these guys will be the best of buds!!  They are doing really well with each other and even napping together!  I couldn't be happier...

Thanks for your help and support!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful kitties! They look so comfortable with each other. 

I'm so glad you are all doing better.