Introducing a new cat or kitten to senior girl

Chenelseven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have recently lost my beloved boy cat, Boche, of 15 years after a battle with cancer. I am devastated and very much missing his company.

I live alone with my very senior girl Mia, she is 18. I love Mia very much, but she is not much company, being very food oriented and sleeping a lot.

She has become more needy since losing Boche, her behaviour has changed and I think she misses his company as well.

I would very much like to adopt a new cat, but do not want to stress Mia too much keeping in mind she is a grumpy old lady (just don’t tell her that!) who will not want to play. She was an only child until Boche came along when she was about 3 and a half. We also lived with my parents and their cat for a few years, Mia never got along with her.

I have read up a bit on introducing new cats and kittens and have an area I can setup for the newcomer and keep them apart for a slow introduction.

I am torn as I would dearly love to get a kitten or younger cat, but feel this may be too much for Mia. Perhaps an older cat may be more suitable? Would love some advice and suggestions on this. I see some people are recommending to get 2 kittens so they will play with each other.

heyyy_aboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have empathy for your loss. I hope you get better in time because Mia still needs you even when she is grumpy.

I am no expert but I see both sides. Two kittens or an older cat. I think that a getting kittens is nice & all but I would suggest an older cat that way Mia isn't stressed out with knowing that the kittens would get more attention & perhaps Mia wants company and an older cat can give her that. She wouldn't have the kittens running up to her & biting her to play bc we all know how kittens are excited to run around & be tricky little creatures. I don't know how older cats or younger cats being introduced would work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chenelseven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. I am leaning towards adopting an older cat, am enquiring about a 7yr old boy who is described as chilled out. This is new territory for me and i really want to do the right thing by Mia. She is my baby and I wouldn't want her to feel threatened by a newcomer

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C Chenelseven : Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the loss of Boche. :alright: If it's something you think might be helpful, we have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you could post a tribute to him. RIP sweet boy. :angel3:

About getting another cat, generally adult cats accept kittens more easily than another adult cat. But at 18 years old, I'm not sure how welcoming Mia is going to be to any newcomer. I fear a kitten, or younger cat, is going to torment her to play. And even 2 kittens won't guarantee they would only play with each other, and not try to play with her too.

Probably an older cat would be best. However, at her age, assuming they get along, the new cat will end up mourning her in a few years or so.

Guess I'm really just rehashing everything you've probably already thought of, and I'm not being very helpful at all. :ohwell:

I can, however, post links to a couple TCS articles on introducing cats. ;)

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Here's one more TCS article you might find helpful:
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had a cat her age I would cherish your time alone with her and not add a kitten or kittens at this time. Elderly cats are frail, even when they don’t act like it or believe it and stress can be very detrimental to them. She is enjoying extra snuggles with you and I think it is better not to disrupt that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chenelseven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. These are all the things that are swirling around my head now. The older gentleman i was looking to adopt has found a home in the meantime while I dithered so perhaps the universe is sending me a message.
The 2 young ones I am drawn to are still available but yes Mia is a fragile old lady and may not thank me for bringing them into her life