Introducing a neutered male to a not neutered male?

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. So I have a shared housing situation and I just got a new roommate who has a possibly not neutered 4 year old male cat. I've been living here for quite a while and my cat is the resident kitty. My soon to be 3 neutered male cat is very skiddish. So it's hard to say whether he actually owns everything in my house or what. Anyways, so I tried to introduce the two cats again tonight, but the not neutered cat kept growling at my cat. I used the door method with a slight crack so they could see each other. Was this wrong? It's the second day here and the other cat gets more free run because he is an outdoor cat and mine is strictly indoor. I need so help please!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The principles of cat to cat introductions remain the same regardless of sex or neutering. You need slow, gradual introductions (think months in most cases), starting with scent swapping and slowly progressing from there, always taking your cues from the least confident cat. It would be good to ascertain whether or not your roommate's cat is neutered though. If he isn't, do try to convince your roommate to get him fixed - especially as he goes outside. Its truly frightening just how many litters of kittens just one tomcat can be responsible for in a single breeding season.[article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="32804"][/article][article="22304"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for some of the tips. Unfortunately the cat he has isn't technically his cat to begin with. My roommate is taking of the cat while his friend is away for a year. I do agree with you that he should be neutered to do the overpopulation. I'll get him to ask his friend if he can get a hold of her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catiebc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this morning the cats saw each other by accident. TK (my cat) was in my room and the other cat was growling at a distant. I took TK to my bed because I wasn't sure what the cat was going to do. I notice TK squeaked after he left and tried to run after him. Does TK want to play? I'm not sure. It's a new experience for me. I never knew an outdoor cat before.