Introducing a Kitten (Immediate or Gradual?)

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
It's been years since I last posted here. I hope y'all doing amazing!

So I got two cats: Tiger (4 yrs) and Max (3 yrs). And, I've had them all their life, and Tiger has been the king of the house ever since he started living in it.
Today, I found this little kitten (perhaps 4 months old) in our yard crying for help. She was very hungry and thirsty, and I just could not turn away. Once I approached her, she started looking at me and crying like asking for help.
I took her inside for food and water. I, then, decided to adopt her for obvious reasons, and I know very well she cannot live on its own in our neighborhood as there are many stray hostile cats.

Now I am taking her to the vet and then she's gonna take a shower. Tiger and Max have not encountered her yet.
And this is why I am posting this thread. I know the traditional gradual introduction method and I did it with Max before. However, I can't afford such time & attention. Would they be able to work it out if they just come across each other? If not, is there any way that can cost me less time/work?
I have many tasks and I cannot pay much attention to them.
I hope you can help with this

Thank you all very much

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A kitten that young may well simply be accepted. However, you should keep a close eye on things for a few days. If you have to be away from home, give the kitten a "safe room," and at her age, a bathroom will be fine, with food, water, and the necessary litter box, something comfy to curl up on, and a toy or two.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . As she noted, it really is best to do a couple of days in a "safe room".

Reason:
-some kittens can be scared for up to a week or so
-a scared kitten that didn't start in a safe room doesn't know where to hide, and can find someplace problematic or dangerous. It doesn't happen often, but every now and then we do have someone with a cat that finds their way into the walls. So you start them in a safe room, and usually they make under that bed their place to hide.
-it also helps you bond with them if you know where they are and have some way to sit close to them, like on the bed, or on the floor by the bed.
-it gives the cats a few days to get used to the smell of the kitten.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have space, I'd suggest letting her live in a spare room with all her needs for a week or ten days before you introduce her to the others. She'll begin to smell like the house and she might have some interaction with them beneath the door. After that, she'll probably be accepted without too much effort.

She may try to rule the roost, though. That's been my experience with the females I've had over the years.

After all that, I guess I said pretty much the same thing as ArtNJ did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have space, I'd suggest letting her live in a spare room with all her needs for a week or ten days before you introduce her to the others. She'll begin to smell like the house and she might have some interaction with them beneath the door. After that, she'll probably be accepted without too much effort.

She may try to rule the roost, though. That's been my experience with the females I've had over the years.

After all that, I guess I said pretty much the same thing as ArtNJ did.
Thanks a lot!
In fact, they have already met as I write this.
As I said above I would not be able to afford the attention required for the separation process. I know it may seem simple, but it's not cuz Tiger would not rest before he saw and tested her. So it'd require me to pay a lotta attention to him as he wouldn't give up until he suceeds.
When they met, they spent like hours just slowly approaching and hissing at each other, with the bigger cats being more cautious. As far as I'm aware, there has not been a serious attack from anyone. Only like the usual expected intimidating from the dominant cat (Tiger). But when I woke up in the morning they all seemed more relaxed and could turn away from one another. Still a bit intimidated, but to a lesser extent.
From my little experience, I'd predict that there will be some rough play and chasing once they can be comfortable touching each other, and then things will normalize.