Introducing 7 m.o. to 6 year old resident cat

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I adopted a chunky love ball 2 years ago named Pimento. He is 6 now. He has always been the only animal in the house and is so sweet, affectionate, and well adjusted. He has a bit of “Velcro cat” syndrome and shows anxiety when I leave for longer periods of time. I considered for a long time adopting a second cat with hopes only to enrich his life and give him a companion.

Enter Biscuit, the equally sweet 7 month old I just adopted. I am following all the advice on slow introductions (devoted space, baby gate, exchanging smells, positive reinforcements, etc.)

They’ve had a few interactions through the gate. They’re both curious. Though Pimento isn’t acting overly upset, he has let out a few low hisses to new kitty. I feed them on opposite sides of the gate and he’ll randomly hiss in between going about his business a This is also in between what looks like genuine curiosity and onlooking into new kitty’s room. Pimento’s hisses sound annoyed rather than overly aggressive, but I’m not an expert. New kitty bows his head and looks down when hissed at; is this a sign of submission?

I will continue to take introductions slowly, but am searching for insight into Pimento’s attitude. Are a few hisses from resident cat something to be concerned about? Can they just be a sign of Pimento claiming dominance rather than showing aggression and potential to hurt new kitty? How will I know it’s safe to introduce them without the gate? If new kitty doesn’t hiss back and just bows down, has the hierarchy been established? Any advice on what is normal cat behavior vs. aggression to be concerned about, is greatly appreciated! Orange kitty is Pimento and gray kitty is Biscuit.

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Na, hisses can mean a lot of different things, and are not necessarily a warning of a real problem. In this context, they could just mean something like "back off" "give me my space" or "I'm watching you" etc. and are very normal. In fact, you may well not be able to get them to a point where there is no hissing through the introduction process alone. They may have a little bit to work out on their own at the end, and thats fine, they can do that if its just hissing, or even hissing with a get-away-swat.

When I recently introduced a kitten to my 5 year old cat, the 5 year old has to follow the kitten everywhere -- and would still hiss if the kitten got close! I interpreted that as something like "you better not be messing with my stuff! I'm watching you!" They became good friends before too long. Anyway, I just mention it as a random example of a different meaning of a hiss -- clearly it wasn't "back off" the way it often is in my situation. And they worked through it within a week or less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Na, hisses can mean a lot of different things, and are not necessarily a warning of a real problem. In this context, they could just mean something like "back off" "give me my space" or "I'm watching you" etc. and are very normal. In fact, you may well not be able to get them to a point where there is no hissing through the introduction process alone. They may have a little bit to work out on their own at the end, and thats fine, they can do that if its just hissing, or even hissing with a get-away-swat.

When I recently introduced a kitten to my 5 year old cat, the 5 year old has to follow the kitten everywhere -- and would still hiss if the kitten got close! I interpreted that as something like "you better not be messing with my stuff! I'm watching you!" They became good friends before too long. Anyway, I just mention it as a random example of a different meaning of a hiss -- clearly it wasn't "back off" the way it often is in my situation. And they worked through it within a week or less.
Great advice, thanks for that! Based on your situation, even after the gate is down I should be prepared for some hissing and swatting? As long as it doesn’t get dangerous for either should I just let them duke it out?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if they seem really stressed, you keep going with the introduction. A little mild hissing only when one gets too close or too active by the gate isn't necessarily a problem to move forward though, its kind of a judgment call. But face to face without a gate is another level and yeah, will often bring out more hissing, which is fine. Defensive swatting is ok too, but its not really letting them duke it out. Defensive swatting is a "get away from me" kind of thing. Sometimes the line can get blurry, but a blurry line is bad, because if they actually fight and hurt each other, that makes bad memories and the introduction can end up being kinda wasted. Hissing (and even a get away swat) by contrast doesn't hurt anyone, and they can often get it out of their system.

Older cats often get annoyed and stressed by kittens wanting to play, and hissing can last quite a while sometimes. Its nice when the kittens start out shy and respect the older cat's boundaries but that doesn't always happen. The kitten might hiss at first too, but Pimento is far more likely to be an issue, especially if the kitten won't take no for an answer and wants to jump all over him right away.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, if they seem really stressed, you keep going with the introduction. A little mild hissing only when one gets too close or too active by the gate isn't necessarily a problem to move forward though, its kind of a judgment call. But face to face without a gate is another level and yeah, will often bring out more hissing, which is fine. Defensive swatting is ok too, but its not really letting them duke it out. Defensive swatting is a "get away from me" kind of thing. Sometimes the line can get blurry, but a blurry line is bad, because if they actually fight and hurt each other, that makes bad memories and the introduction can end up being kinda wasted. Hissing (and even a get away swat) by contrast doesn't hurt anyone, and they can often get it out of their system.

Older cats often get annoyed and stressed by kittens wanting to play, and hissing can last quite a while sometimes. Its nice when the kittens start out shy and respect the older cat's boundaries but that doesn't always happen. The kitten might hiss at first too, but Pimento is far more likely to be an issue, especially if the kitten won't take no for an answer and wants to jump all over him right away.
I feel like such a newbie, and really unsure how to assess our current situation. The cats are sharing space under supervision now. When they’re both calm or napping, they will sit nearby each other on the floor or share the window sill with no problems. However, it seems sometimes when they’re awake/active and get too close, a swatting match ensues. I’ve been stopping it because it’s difficult for me to tell if they’re playing, saying to back off, or actually being aggressive. I’ve been trying to get a video of this behavior. It’s mostly quiet, occasionally Pimento will make a noise but the kitten does not. It doesn’t seem anybody’s ears are pinned. It is hard to tell about claws. They are mostly seated and facing each other while doing the swatting. They also get the “zooms” where they chase one another across the length of the house. There’s no swatting or noise during this. One will start running, the other chases, they sit in the new spot for a moment, then zoom away again. Again, hard to tell if they’re playing or just torturing each other.
Apart from all this, they are both eating, drinking, and using the bathroom normally. Nobody is hiding. I would say 70% of our day is peaceful and conflict free. I am not sure where we’re at and how to assess it. I am wondering if I need to reintroduce and go back to square one. I want to do this right but have so many unknowns.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much has to be playing, because cats hold grudges. If it was a problem, one would act afraid of the other at all times, and they wouldn't set nearby or share a window sill. So you can and should let them do their thing.

Remember, cats are predators, and all predators play by simulating hunting and fighting behaviors. Its not surprising that if the cats are young and vigorous and one isn't used to it, it can look questionable. We get this all the time!

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pretty much has to be playing, because cats hold grudges. If it was a problem, one would act afraid of the other at all times, and they wouldn't set nearby or share a window sill. So you can and should let them do their thing.

Remember, cats are predators, and all predators play by simulating hunting and fighting behaviors. Its not surprising that if the cats are young and vigorous and one isn't used to it, it can look questionable. We get this all the time!
Ok, that’s a relief to hear. I’ll keep trying to capture a video to share for added details. I think my 6 year old is tolerating some play but gets annoyed when the younger one goes too hard or long. Maybe that accounts for some of the swatting too. I also have a very small apartment, essentially two rooms and a bathroom, so even when they’re in their own space they never fully catch a break from each other. So I suppose I keep monitoring things and intervene if it clearly becomes aggressive.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well sure, just like even good mom's get annoyed or exhausted with their toddlers now and then, it would be normal for the 6 year old to get exhausted by a kitten and protest the annoyance. You can definitely intervene if the 6 year old seems really frustrated with it, just do it by distraction not punishment.

Cat relationships can turn south, I've had that happen myself, but I don't think that you are particularly at a special risk of that just because the older cat gets frustrated now and then, so while its always good to keep an eye on how they interact, don't worry too much.

And yep, videos are always best. Prevents misinterpreting what you are saying.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well sure, just like even good mom's get annoyed or exhausted with their toddlers now and then, it would be normal for the 6 year old to get exhausted by a kitten and protest the annoyance. You can definitely intervene if the 6 year old seems really frustrated with it, just do it by distraction not punishment.

Cat relationships can turn south, I've had that happen myself, but I don't think that you are particularly at a special risk of that just because the older cat gets frustrated now and then, so while its always good to keep an eye on how they interact, don't worry too much.

And yep, videos are always best. Prevents misinterpreting what you are saying.
So I captured a few minutes worth of videos of what is basically our normal. The swatting you see in the “play?” video can go on a bit longer than what you see there, too. Hopefully this link works. It’s to YouTube where I’ve uploaded 3 videos because I’m not sure how to do it here.
Kelly Norris

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the first video, the young one runs in for a swat, which yeah, I do interpret as an attempt to get play going. It was kind of a half hearted attempt he gave up so quick, but I don't see any indication it was hostility. I had 2 cats many years ago that would each stand on a stack of milk crates (I was in college and it was long ago, dont judge lol) and whack each other on the head like they were playing whack a mole or joust. And that was play, they loved that game. Point of the story being that swats can mean different things.

In the second video, the orange kitty gives an annoyed get away from me swat and then proceeds to totally ignore the kitten playing actively nearby for 4 minutes, which would never happen if there was a serious problem.

Based on what I'm seeing, orange cat mostly isn't interested in kitten nonsense and will let the youngster know if he is too annoying. But he is just not really phased by the kitten. Its not ideal of course, friendship would be better, but a little mild annoyance with lots of disinterest is a a very decent result in the scheme of these things. Often goes a lot worse, with the older cat seeming really stressed.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the first video, the young one runs in for a swat, which yeah, I do interpret as an attempt to get play going. It was kind of a half hearted attempt he gave up so quick, but I don't see any indication it was hostility. I had 2 cats many years ago that would each stand on a stack of milk crates (I was in college and it was long ago, dont judge lol) and whack each other on the head like they were playing whack a mole or joust. And that was play, they loved that game. Point of the story being that swats can mean different things.

In the second video, the orange kitty gives an annoyed get away from me swat and then proceeds to totally ignore the kitten playing actively nearby for 4 minutes, which would never happen if there was a serious problem.

Based on what I'm seeing, orange cat mostly isn't interested in kitten nonsense and will let the youngster know if he is too annoying. But he is just not really phased by the kitten. Its not ideal of course, friendship would be better, but a little mild annoyance with lots of disinterest is a a very decent result in the scheme of these things. Often goes a lot worse, with the older cat seeming really stressed.
I really appreciate you taking the time to watch!
Makes sense. Honestly the orange cat has a playful side too, but right now just likes playing with his toys alone. Hopefully he’ll eventually view the young cat as a playmate or the annoyance will wear away. Who knows. From what you’ve seen, do you sense aggression from the orange cat needing reintroduction?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Na, the young cat was playing really really close for four full minutes and orange cat looked like he was having a good rest. There is no stranger danger left, only occasional "god you are annoying, go play in the corner" which a reintroduction won't touch.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Na, the young cat was playing really really close for four full minutes and orange cat looked like he was having a good rest. There is no stranger danger left, only occasional "god you are annoying, go play in the corner" which a reintroduction won't touch.
Fair enough. I’ll try to help orange cat out by wearing down the kittens energy with lots of playing lol. Thanks so much for all your advice.