Introducing 5 month old kitten and 9 week old kitten

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

looking for some advice here..i Currently have a 5 month old kitten Penelope, who I got when she was only 6 weeks old…I tried to have the owner keep her a little longer but she needed them gone. Penelope is super attached, very loving, but is a little unsure of new people. She rubs up against their legs but isn’t so sure when they try to love her back. I know some of these things are because I got her so early and she didn’t learn this from her siblings- but I have been working with her (giving treats and playing when new people are around). I kept hearing that have 2 cats is better than 1. I think this would be helpful to Penelope to have someone to play with and not be lonely. So on Saturday I am getting Penelope a sister, Ivy!! Ivy is 9 weeks old- very socialized with children, her siblings, and 3 adult cats (2 bring her parents). I have read TONS of info about introductions and plan to keep them separate for as long as they need to get adjusted with one another.
My worry here is that Penelope (5 month kitten) won’t be as accepting to the new kitten because she is not as socialized and is very attached to me … has anyone had any experience with this? I am hoping with time they are best friends!! But I worry Penelope will be super jealous and she won’t accept Ivy…I appreciate any feedback!

Ivy is the grey kitten and Penelope is the Cream :)

Attachments

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually with young cats like yours they adjust to one another very very quickly, a matter of a few days or even less to introduce and have them become friends. The issue with the age difference is the older cat wanting to play too hard or rough with the baby. I would supervise their time together fairly closely for at least another month to let the little one grow up some and be better able to tolerate the older’s play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is great thank you so much!!