Introducing 2 kittens safely - one of them has started hissing

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I am new to this site.  I have 2 kittens one is 13 weeks the other 9 weeks.  Resident kitten (female) is 13 weeks and we have had new kitten (male) for 1 week.  We have been trying to do introductions slowly, first with scent exchanges on bedding and scratching posts for a few days, which has been fine.  We have done feeding one either side of a closed door then a door opened a crack.  Then resident kitten visiting new kitty in his room whilst he is in carrier on a different level.  In the latter situation she went up to him and hissed a few times, he was being all friendly and chirrupping but maybe a bit too excited towards the end as he probably wanted out of the carrier and to meet her.  That was when she hissed.  I'm a little disheartened as it feels like a bad sign if she has hissed at him.

Do I start from the beginning again before we do more limited contact introductions?  I want to do it properly but am not sure what are the best next steps to take?  Other than the hissing resident kitten never reacted negatively to his scent and when they saw each other the first time by accident she even chirruped at him.  Am I worrying too much and being over-cautious or shall I continue with the visible intros?  Thanks x

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you're on the right track and if you've just had the one hiss, I think I'd continue with the visual intros, just keep it nice and slow at the pace you're going at.

I don't think I've ever gotten through an intro without some hissing and if that's all you get, you're doing well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Ms Freya, so I won't lose hope then that they will be buddies! It's just I read somewhere that once an opinion is formed it's really hard for them to change their minds.
Hopefully not though, they are very young kittens which should work in their favour...[emoji]128524[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi just an update that we did a limited intro again and we got 2 sets of hissing and also growling. She stalked his carrier as if she wanted to get to him so we removed her from the room. Do I still carry on and persevere? X