Introduce Foster Feral To Adopted Feral?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a feral kitten, Farrell, in February who is 8 months old now. Two weeks ago, and little 5+ week old kitten (Dasher) appeared to be abandoned, dehydrated and starving, so I trapped him and have been feeding him until he is old enough to be neutered and adopted out. I have been keeping them separated.

Dasher did not get the cat-to-cat socialization he needed and is exhibiting typical behavioral issues (mainly leg climbing and playing too rough). I think that introducing him to Farrell and letting her teach him a few "cat things" in "cat language" would help his behavior.

Both kittens have been treated for fleas and worms, but I am worried about more serious feline diseases. What are the risks of transmission? Obviously I don't want to do anything that would make Farrell sick (or Dasher either). Both are "apparently" healthy, but I have not had Dasher tested or immunized for anything. Farrell was immunized when I took her for TNR.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not put them together until you get the baby tested.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm actually not planning to have him tested. He was a totally unplanned foster who I'm feeding until he weighs enough to be given to the shelter for neuter, vax and adoption. These are critical weeks in his behavior and training, so I was hoping the disease risk was minimal.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since Farrell is immunized and healthy, any risks of transmission are low.

Supervised play sessions should be okay.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one no and one yes, so I decided to introduce them for a short period. I put Dasher into a large dog kennel to see Farrell's reaction. She was ears up and curious, and they were both reaching through the bars. I allowed Dasher out and Farrell was ready to play, but when she batted the baby's head (with no claws out), he rolled over, closed his eyes tight, and played dead. Then he tried to crawl under furniture to get away from her, so I separated them again.

So he's perfectly happy to attack and pounce on me, but is afraid of another kitten, and Farrell is still a little shy with me but would apparently love to have a kitten playmate to harass.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already own 2 cats so I can't adopt Dasher. I do like to have a little budget left to foster or help one additional puppy or cat from time to time. My senior is too old to play with Farrell as much as she would like.

Dasher is acting a little like he might prefer to be an only cat, or at least be around another kitten as tiny as he is. Farrell likes the visits but her attempts to play have been met with shyness and cowering by Dasher. He is not enjoying them. I'm keeping visits very short, but they seem to stress him out.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is good for their social skills to be with other kittens. Maybe they can put him with other kittens when he goes to the shelter.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he's too young to tell if he's a loner or would like the company more than just tolerating it. I don't know if being abandoned by his mother would make him lose trust in other cats or not.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so cute that Dasher played dead when Farrell smacked him. I didn't now cats did that.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still "playing dead" when the older kitten wants to play with him. He actually seems more interested in the dog and in rough-housing and attacking my "playing dead" hands than he is with the other cats. :confused:

Anyway...the shelter is going to be taking him this weekend. He is old enough to be neutered and adopted. I'm going to miss the little guy. :catrub: