Intrauterine Feline Panleukopenia Was Hard?

Alexiano

Visenya's forever keeper
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Please, excuse me if I wrote in the wrong forum or I have some huge mistakes. I can't fnd any good info and opinions on my case in my native language, so I decided the health forum would be a good choice to ask.
Also, I am very sorry for a long post.

I resqued 4 kittens in May at age of 2,5 weeks. Ttheir mother wed stray and poisoned (or dead because of another problem) about a 24 hours when I was said there are weak kittens in a distant city's district. I took them and raised to find a new good home for them in the future. All of them are fine, except one.

Visenya now is about 5,5 months and weights 1230 gramms. Her brothers and sister are: 3,1 kg; 2,9 kg; 2,7 kg respectively.

In late July Visenya got sick and I started a fight for her. Only one strong symptome — fever, our vet couldn´t understand what it is. The analyze pack were done, PCR came positive for panleukopenia with strange (as our current vet says) titre.
Visenya got a treatment, she had three antibiotics courses (Synulox,Tylosin, and Sumamed) and imunnostimulators and raised an allergy for them — the fever again. Also, Visenya showed an ataxia and bilateral uveitis

We changed a vet in August, finally found a good one. She said the following:
— The PCR results are strange.
— A fever in the first place were a result of mycoplasma.
— The ataxia and uveitis are the souveniers from Visenya's mother's panleukopenia, when she was pregnant.
— Visenya are very small (900 gramms at that moment). And, very possible, she will never grown up enough to be like other cars.

What we have now:
— Visenya is a little wobbly, but a little, her ataxia became less visible. Her teeth and fur are changing, late but changing.Visenya is in a good shape, proportions are good too. She is active and playful little ball of fur, I adore her deeply.
— We try to get rid of eveitis, we stay in contact with a vet of ophthalmologist.
— I am said again that Visenya won't be big at all. She eats a calcium supply and vit now, until she gets 7 or 8 months and she get an ultrasound and echo-ECG to make sure her organs are developed right.

I am worried about her size. I've read about a dwarfism, about pituitary nanism and already scared to death. even if I don't know what kind of issue I can apply to Visenya. I don't want to lose my little girl, because everything I see says pituitary nanism gives a cat a short life.

Have I done something wrong to her when I followed the unstructions of the first vet clinic? Could intrauterine feline panleukopenia give her problems with growth?
Are here people who saw a cases like this? What should I know about this?

Thank you for reading.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I found this article (see link below) on panleukopenia (including a section about exposure in the womb). Very informative even if it is an older document, although I don't know if it will answers all your questions. It does not specifically address a cat being on the small size due to the disease, so perhaps over time she will catch up! There are more 'current' articles, but not as detailed. However, if you want more articles, I can get them for you.

You are very lucky that Visenya made it and that the other kittens who were also exposed recovered without the issues she had! She is very pretty!

Panleukopenia Of Cats - What You Should Know About It

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she IS adorable. I truly think dwarfism in cats is something they are born with, not something they can develop afterwards. And ou said her proportions are good, which tome says she is simply a tiny cat. I had a cat who was only 6 pounds in adulthood, and there are others here with cats the same size, so it's possible she's just petite, which absolutely could be from her illness.

You are extremely lucky these babies survived. Panluek is more often than not deadly. Well done :worship:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow the fact the you helped her beat it is amazing and speaks volumes about the care you gave her. Sadly many little ones don't beat it. Great work!!! She is a beautiful little soul

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To answer your most heart-rending question, YOU DID NOTHING WRONG. In fact, you did everything right...got her to a vet, found a second vet when the first proved to be limited in how much they could or would help, kept her going against incredible odds. And now she is thriving. Small, but thriving.

Pituitary dwarfism can be definitively diagnosed with a IGF-1 blood test, should you want to do that. It is not, in and of itself, treatable, but there are other conditions that often come along with it that CAN be medically managed to some degree or another. HOWEVER...the chances are that she is just a very small cat, perhaps due to the mother's illness and probably malnourishment.

She is a little darling. And no matter what the future holds for her, you have given her a chance to experience life as a kitten, well-fed, loved, happy, and playful. She would never have had this without you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexiano

Visenya's forever keeper
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens and zed xyzed zed xyzed , for kind words. It seems, I cried to hard about Visenya. literally I was crying my eyes out about her. I am a cat momma of four, in addition to Visenya, cats, They are older than her but also were resqued and raised in my hands. I love all of them, but all what is connected to Visenya respond pretty piercefully.

So, it is very heartwarming to read your posts here and know she could be just small after all and I didn´t make her like that. :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Also, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , thank you so much for the useful link. :worship:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexiano

Visenya's forever keeper
Kitten
Purraise
Visenya has died today. I am agonizing.
Panleuko were too hard, Visenya got Juvenile hyperparathyroidism, her body didn't consume calcium well and she started to show seizures. Even with a special drug she got another seizure and her breathing stoped.
I don't how what to do with my mental state. I have another cats but they are not Visenya.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! I am SO sorry for your loss :hugs:. It's never an easy thing, and it's particularly hard when you've raised them from wee babies and literally brought them back from the brink of death, only to have this happen. It's devastating. Many people find it helps to write a memorial to them in our Crossing the Bridge forum. It won't make the pain go away, but you will see you are not alone. Most of us here have lost furry friends, and somehow it just helps to talk about it over there. Plus there are a few threads there on grieving. Crossing the Bridge