Intolerance to red meat

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that introducing red meats, some cats do fine - others, like my Sheldon, can't keep them down.

It took a while to VEEEEERY slowly introduce him to red meat. We have not been able to progress past the point of his eating a meal that is 50% red meat / 50% white meat.

And I just found the most interesting article - apparently there is a correlation between tick bites and red meat allergy.

In 2007, Sheldon suddenly had very weak back legs. We took him to the vet, who could find nothing wrong, no reason for it. And it resolved inside of 3 days. After that, he always had a slight... head "blink." A little "bobble" from time-to-time, always when he is relaxed. Many of you know I work with an animal communicator. A while back, when we were having her do some work with a few of our cats, I had her ask Sheldon about this event. He said he felt a quick sharp "pinch" at the base of his spine.

I'm wondering if there was a tick, and he got bit. ????? Is that crazy?

Here's the short article: http://uvamagazine.org/articles/ticked_off_carnivores

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course - that incident may have had nothing to do with it. I have had lyme three times in the past 1.5 years. The cats were rescued here - it is a very wooded, rural area, and ticks are a constant problem. I've found ticks on my clothes twice (inside) - no matter how carefully I am about "sweeping" myself before coming in, it happens. But I'm very curious now - as it's really possible any of the kitties inside could have been bitten by a tick.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an interesting correlation. I have no idea how you find some of these articles, Laurie. Your research abilities really are amazing. Anyway, I wonder if the members here who have cats with red meat issues (and there are definitely a few) have noticed a possible tick bite. I'm pretty sure most of them are indoor only if I recall correctly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I think part of the issue is that cats aren't really "designed" to eat red meat; they naturally eat rodents or birds (or bugs and amphibians).

But I also think most indoor-only cats were originally rescue kitties, so... who knows what happened when? :dk: